Need to pick a new gun for SEAL impression. 416 or mk18 mod 1?

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by NotZeroSix, Dec 21, 2012.

1. NotZeroSix

NotZeroSix Member

Escondido
    Im new to the loadout scene but I want to pick a new or upgrade my blaster and im in a dilemma. First off I started off a KWA SR7 but I am having personal problems with this gun in terms of proprietary parts and picky mags. (I should have done my homework). The picky mags bothers me alot since I have 20 metal midcaps from over the years and not a single one feeds. Only reason why I got this is because it was like a "mk18 mod 0". But with all the problems, I want to move "away" from it until something fixes the mag feeding problems. I have to say though it got really high quality internals. Could I change the body to a G&P with colt trades to fix the feeding problems?

Then I bought used gun for $50: Classic Army m15a4. Thees nothing wrong with the gun and it performs great. It has a fast rate of fire with a 11.1v lipo which is awesome but its no SEAL setup. I would have to change the 14.5" barrel to a 10.3" plus DD rails. But being optimistic, it feeds all my metal midcap mags which is a huge plus. However, the quality of internals of a stock CA really bothers me.

Or dump everything else above and just buy a VFC 416 gen 2. Looks great and performs like a champ. But looking at the photos, it looks "bulky" and being 5' 6", it would put me out of proportion. Also, it doesnt look high speed and probably weighs more than a mk18 mod 1. But then again I want to look somewhat authentic and get a gun that the SEALs use to get a accurate impression. So my question is, should I upgrade my guns to go for a mk18 look or scrap them and go for a vfc 416? Which gun do they use more? Also, with the vfc 416 are they picky with mags like the KWA m4's?

Please help me out as I am planning on buying this soon before the end of the year. Any insight would help! Thanks guys!

2. rblevinski

rblevinski New Member Supporting Member

Philadelphia
    SEALs use HK 416s with 10 inch barrels and MP7s. Here's a reference photo from a book written by a Navy Seal.

Edit: If you really want to know more for a SEAL impression talk to Grin and Archer. They should be able to help you more than I can.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012

3. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    To be more specific DEVGRU (the now disbanded SEAL Team 6) uses the HK 416. Other SEAL teams use the mk18 mod1 as well. That said, this is your best option:

I have the VFC 416 and its easily the best stock gun I've ever owned. Feels great, looks great, shoots great. I only use MAG mid caps, so I could say for sure if it'll feed all of the various mags you have, but I've never heard of other people having problems with feeding. It's really not any bulkier than any other 10.5" barreled AR. The receiver is slightly taller, probably about 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch, and the rail is that much taller to match. Otherwise, it's exactly the same. You wouldn't look weird or out of proportion with it at all. It's a small, tight gun. It's on the heavy side compared to other short barreled carbines because it's made of beefy material. But it's no heavier than say, my PTW. The extra weight isn't really something you notice in game, and to me, it makes the gun feel sturdier--more robust.

4. glenlovesm4

glenlovesm4 New Member

Knoxville
    I would link yo ut me and Shadow_Nugz build threads, but the stupid school computers won't let me.

5. NotZeroSix

NotZeroSix Member

Escondido
    Well what I've seen on many photos is that seals use mod 0, mod 2, scar l, 416, 417, mp7, and the mk12 mod 0. With that said, I can only have room to spend on one gun due to budget restraints. So I want a future proof weapon that would last me quite a while for a seal press ion. I am really concern of the impression gun more than anything.

6. Havok17

Havok17 New Member

Chicago
    No impression or gun is future proof. Since you are making an impression it should be for a set year like 2011 for example. But since gear changes it can't be future proof. Though the VFC HK416 is probably your best bet.

7. Knief

Ann Arbor
    You mean the mk18 mod 1 using SOPMOD Block II accessories, yes? As far as I'm aware, there's no such thing as an mk18 mod 2.

As far as a future proof weapon, like Havok said, there's really no such thing. SEALs have the ability to trial and adopt just about any weapon system they see fit (with some restrictions, as always). All we know is what they currently use and what they've previously used. There's no way to guess what new innovation they might pick up next year. But the same can be said for every piece of gear they use. When you're trying to do an impression of a unit that's on the cutting edge of gear, there's really no way to keep up if you aren't willing to re-buy kit as often as they do.

Also, DEVGRU are SEALs, but not all SEALs are DEVGRU. DEVGRU is the tier 1, top dog, Osama killing badass mofos. The rest of the SEAL teams are essentially a notch below. Not necessarily in skill level, but in capability and usage (really, that's not a fair way to put it, but I'm struggling for a proper description). Point being, DEVGRU is under different command than the other SEAL teams, and as such may have different gear. Hence the general consensus that DEVGRU uses the 416 more often while the other teams use the MK18 mod1 more often. I believe you see some cross over, but I don't believe there's much. Grin's input here would be great, as he's doing a SEAL kit right now and putting in a lot of leg work.

8. NotZeroSix

NotZeroSix Member

Escondido
    Yes I meant to type in mod 1. (I'm using in a cell phone to type. Excuse me for the typos)

Oh ok, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Its really confusing to say which blaster they use since they're so many of them. So should I go 416 even though the group disbanded?

When I said future proof, I didn't know which term to describe the mod0. Its still being used today and still kosher to any seal team load out from Iraq years and above. But then again you can easily say that with any ar 15...

I was going to order a vfc mod 1 from wgc but they cancelled my order stating that they don't ship to my state. Its ok for the time being. Gives me more time to research this impression. I'll just upgrade my guns to a mod 0 externally.

9. Knief

Ann Arbor
    They didn't exactly disband Seal Team Sex, I think I said that wrong. They essentially dropped the name and started calling it DEVGRU exclusively. It's still very much alive and tearing it up. A 416 would be totally kosher. Plus it's far cooler and far more unique than an mk18 mod1. They're all over the place right now.

10. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat New Member

This is going in the files...

By the way thank you for clearing this up, I was confused about this whole thing but never went about looking it up.

11. Knief

Ann Arbor
    You know, ordinarily I'd go fix my typo, but that one is just fine.

12. NotZeroSix

NotZeroSix Member

Escondido
    I found two websites that has the 416 for $400 shipped with tax. Anyone know a cheaper alternative? Maybe out of state? I'm in ca btw.

13. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat New Member

You could try buying one used.

14. NotZeroSix

NotZeroSix Member

Escondido
    Nah, I want to buy a brand new one. Unfortunately I saw a Vfc 416 going for $350 and that was the lowest he could go. $50 more could get me a new gun with no wear on the internals.

15. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    You seriously need to work on the research more, bud.

1. There's no such thing as a Mk18 Mod 2. To dig even deeper in, there's technically not a Mk18 Mod 1, just a Mod 0 with Block II accessories.

2. The Mk16 (SCAR-L) is not used. The Mk17 (SCAR-H) is.

3. The 417 is only seeing very light use.

4. They barely use the Mk12 Mod 0, as sniper rifles are rarely seen in lieu of the Mk17 SSR. The Mk11 Mod 0 is much more common.

You seem to have done minimal to no research, so I would suggest that you invest more time. There are a number of threads about SEAL/NSWDG impression on this forum, and I suggest you read them. Devgru has one, Archer has one, I have one, Glen has one, and Shadow has one.

That being said, go with the 416.

I realize this is late, but I have classes that demand my attention.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  16. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    Whoo!!! I got mentioned twice!!!

And Knief, the way I make it out to be, Seal Team Six got reorganized into DEVGRU the same way Delta got reorganized into CAG.

17. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Yeah, that's a far better description of what happened. Sometimes words and thoughts just don't see eye to eye.

18. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    What they've been saying. ST6 was transferred from NavSpecWar to JSOC under the title "Naval Special Warfare Development Group", and have been that way for a while now. It's really too bad, though. ST6 was one of the oldest SEAL teams.

19. SandmanOperations

SandmanOperations New Member

Edmond
    Okay, just reading through the last through post I wanted to contribute here.

HK416:
    Rifle is mainly used only in DevGru and EOD Attachmentsf to Devgru. Of course through the testing of the rifle, a few slipped into the "regular" SEAL teams.

Common accessories (Back to front): LMT Crane Stock, KAC Flip Up Sights, Eotech 551 or XPS-2, PEQ-15, AFG or Tango Down Grip, M3 (On mainly the "regular" SEAL Team ones), but more common the Surefire Scout with the S&S Precision light mount. Also the AAC Suppressor is used on this rifle

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  20. SandmanOperations

SandmanOperations New Member

Edmond
    MK.18 Mod 1: This is a standard MK18 with block II accessories attached. This is often seen in "standard" SEAL Teams, but it isn't as common as the Mod 0, with Block II accessories!

Seen on the Mod 1: LMT Crane Stock, KAC Flip Up Sights, Eotech 553, DD 9.5" MK18 RIS II (FDE), PEQ-15, M3 flashlight, Dual pressure pad, and KAC Foregrip, and KAC Suppressor.

Proper on this rifle is a 10.3" Outer Barrel, not the standard 10.5".