New AK for CQC

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by Rainbow, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

Hey guys, I've been looking at getting a gun that will perform well for CQC and still make a decent field back-up. Preferably an AK variant for under $250, under 400 fps, and I would also like it to be an AEG.

I've been looking at this one: http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=70&products_id=30896 as of now. I like that it has a folding stock and that it's manufactured by a reliable brand. Please note that I would like this to be a reliable field back up, just in case my G&P has issues like it did this past summer. Another thing is that it doesn't have to be an AK, but it is my preference, and that I don't want another m4.

Thanks!

2. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County

3. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Just grab anything CYMA for AK's :) you'll be happy.

Many many variety of AK's to choose from. All last for a very long time. And don't disappoint

And no, this is not a bias'ed opinion lol :)

4. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

Yea I'm aware of CYMA quality, but the one above is the only one I've seen (other than the matrix rebrand) that is meant for CQC. But you are correct, I really like the real wood and full metal that CYMA offers.

5. Commie

Commie New Member

Grand Rapids
    Be aware that no Cyma will shoot even near CQB limits, you are going to have to get a spring changed for that.

6. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

I know, I'll probably lower the FPS to around 350

For the first one(the CM031D), I just read another review and it said it was made of pot metal. Is it still durable? And have you ever handled one? If so, what's the feel of it?

7. kevincull

kevincull New Member

You should get the echo1 ak74 wolverine ebb and downgrade!

8. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County

It's the same body as the other one (the one I have and am selling) and I've never had a single problem with it. Solid, sturdy, and effective.

9. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

Just did alittle research and it looks very good. All that people were complaining about was the mag it comes with, and that's impressive. Still going to need to downgrade the spring though lol.

10. Sohte

Sohte Member

San Jose/ Bay Area
    You could pick up a basic plastic body AK that has a metal gearbox and tech it yourself, and modify it with a dremel and make it into a personalized custom AK, all for under $100.

I'm just throwing out that option

11. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Dboys AKS74U! Lol. Do it! Seriously, it has a stamped steel body, VFC AK design, the soviet styled serial number, and that wooden furniture. Lol.

12. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Sadly only the newer Dboys ones are stamped steel. Even at that, the mix/blend of steel is still weak. And is brittle. Still very prone to cracking.

And lots of them have mag fitting issues. Internals are fine though.

But still a little stronger in general then the regular cast steel pot metal bodies.

In this case, I'd still get a CYMA. More of the problems were from the older generations of AK's. the CM.030 and lower. But now, they have fixed the CM.030 series of guns with the updated of the VFC AK design.

Probably the best airsoft AK brand on the market. Even compared to high end stuff. CYMA has done their homework, and have cranked out AK's that are perfect for the airsoft world.

And sadly I can't "quote" everyone's reply to this thread on my phone lol xD

13. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    You'd have to specify how you "modify with a dremel to make it a personalized custom AK"

Engrave it?

14. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    You'll be fine with the CM031D. Great gun. Yes I have handled and still own one. Feel is good. Polymer Handguards feel good (doesnt feel cheap), and you wouldn't even tell its pot steel honestly. You'd have to do something stupid to break it.... Like throw it off a cliff, or literally try to break it on purpose with a sledgehammer.. But that would break a real gun too lol.

It's still very sturdy and durable. Mines are still last over 5 years of abuse since they came out.

15. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    I would personally watch out for the APS/Javelin/ECHO1 EBB series. Even the wolverines. New and old ones.

You'll have to get used to the "paint job" as well. Has a texture to the paint. Which... Not too many people like down here. Cause they don't want to buy it after they handle it off the wall.

Yes you'll need to downgrade the spring. Comes in around 420-440 fps stock.

Depending on the batch, some wolverines has the "cut out" APS gearbox. If it break, parts will be hard to come by. Internals are way out of spec. Piston circumference is actually 1.2mm smaller and doesnt fit standard pistons (if your stock one strips).

Just my 2 cents.

16. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

In that case I probably won't get it. I just don't want to buy special parts that are hard to come by for any gun I own. Amongst that, I really like the feel of AK's and don't want an awkwardly textured one.

@Sohte: I probably won't go that way. As you could probably guess, I'm not the greatest tech in the world lol. Though I am still interested in what you mean by that, in what you mean by that.

17. Sohte

Sohte Member

San Jose/ Bay Area
    What I am trying to say is with a dremel you can chop the length of the outer barrel or drill holes to attach AK/ non AK rail systems, AK/non AK stocks.

Heres an AirsoftMegastore video to show more of what I am trying to convey.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDvTnOcLIpc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDvTnOcLIpc[/ame]

18. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

OK so I actually have a few questions about the CM031D:

1) Does anyone know if I could potentially put a wooden Handguard on the CM031D to replace the polymer one it comes with?

2) Also does the CM031D scratch easily? I recently saw a video and it showed scratches where the selected switch and miscellaneous scratches elsewhere.

3) does it take a standard AK mag?

19. UrGirlfriendz

UrGirlfriendz New Member

Bridgewater
    Most mags will tell you if they are compatible or not, but with a CYMA it is a pretty safe bet, as they are one of the most prominent in the AK market. Also, scratches on an AK are a good thing, the more beat up, the better they look.

20. Sohte

Sohte Member

San Jose/ Bay Area
    The scratch at the selector switch is unavoidable, its just how AK's are, and no the AK74 handguards will not work on an AK47.