New gun procedure

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by jon_wallace95, Dec 3, 2012.

1. jon_wallace95

jon_wallace95 Well-Known Member

So I was wondering what you guys do to test and inspect your new guns? I have done an external visual but because I lack experience on opening a gearbox I haven't done that, I've shot about 200 rounds through it and I'm currently letting the battery fully charge, is there anything else you guys think I should do?

2. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Well till the gun breaks, then you'll have to open up your gun lol.

Other then that for totally external stuff, make sure all screws are hand tightened down (the real screws on Chinese stuff haha)

Make sure everything is solid as a rock.

And you should be good to go :)

And change the connectors to deans OTB.

And...... I break guns for the fun of it ^_^ lol.

3. jon_wallace95

What's the benefit in changing it to deans? Right now it has amino connector, and as for the screws, I spent 10 minutes trying to take out 3 dummy screws on the rail. I feel like an idiot.

4. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    hahahahahaha thats funny... the dummy screws... but seriously, check for anything externally wrong. plug in the battery and listen to the motor for high pitch or weird noises. make sure it shoots straight and the hopup works and the FPS is right.
    other than that, unless its a build gun, leave it alone till it breaks

5. jon_wallace95

As of now it's not a build gun but after I find out my fields fps limit I may want to change some internals. If the limit is around 400 I probably won't change any internals. Other than that just external stuff, I realized that even though it says the receivers are metal the upper isn't metal.

6. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Soon as I get a gun, I'd obviously scan the externals to make sure there aren't any mad imperfections. But more importantly, it's pretty much protocol to open the gearbox and examine the parts to get an idea of what I'll be keeping, and what I'll be getting rid off. After deciding that, a complete disassembly followed by a good ol cleaning of the shell and internal components.

Once it's all clean, glue the bushings in position, reshim from the bevel, put in a sector chip, swiss cheese and remove the relevant teeth for AOE, sorbo pad for shock absorbtion and AOE correction, change out the O ring on the piston head then finally re-lube everything and I'm good to go in terms of the mechanical aspect of the gearbox. I change wiring to silver plated and swap the connectors for deans.

If the barrel is 6.04 or under I'll keep it stock, and change it if otherwise. As long as there aren't any leaks in the hop unit, I'll keep it. My preferred hop packings are Lonex, Prometheus and KWA 2GX. Whichever one gives a better seal for that particular unit.

That's literally what I do to any new AEG I purchase, mind you I don't do it all over night lol but I wouldn't skirmish with it till I got through "to do" list.

BTW, deans give a much better current flow and less resistance. Sometimes you can expect a 1-2rps gain from simply getting rid of the crappy tamiya ones.

7. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    I look it over, fire it around a hundred times, take some pictures and list it for sale.

8. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    agreed. My team and friends call me JoeMart because every member of my team owns something that was mine at some point and they get it at a good price... Ive owned over 30 guns... I currently only own have 4 in my possession though lol

9. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    I look the gun over, give it a few test shots, embrace it a bit before handing it to a friend and letting him look at it. Typically you're so happy when you get a new gun, you tend to miss the little things.

After having it double checked, we test fire it. First checking the cycle for each shot, adjusting the motor height if/whe needed. Then we do accuracy tests at about 65 feet. We do 65ft for 2 reasons. 1) most engagements at fiends we play on are typically within 40 feet, sometimes 75 feet, but typically not much further too often. 2) That's the safest distance in the urban area we have.

Once everything has been tested and we're happy, we toss on attachments and line it up with our rigs so everything flows without any problems. That's typically it.

I make it a habit not to open any gun within 21days of owning it. Why? Too often do people buy guns and literally upgrade right out the box. They have no idea how the gun originally shot, they're just swapping out parts, so ultimately who knows if they just upgraded or downgraded the gun? The exception would obviously be a bolt-action. I target shoot on a clear field before fieldign it for a game so I have an idea of how it shoots, then I swap parts I feel need to be swapped.

After 21days, I typically shim, lube, and all do compression tests.
    Following that, if needed I upgrade/swap parts to fit the role I wish to achieve.

10. jon_wallace95

I just ordered a shim set, I've done a lot of target shooting, I need to adjust the motor height according to a few people, but I don't know how to properly adjust it, can anyone help me there? And I plan on getting a ported piston head from gi.

11. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My new gun procedure: Test the gun with the stock internals and stock battery for fun, then double the ROF and reinforce and fine tune everything. :D

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Active Member

Meadville
    When I get a new gun- not sleep the week it's in shipping, when it arrives, squeal a little :D, open it, charge the battery and fire it. After firing let te person next to me play a little, then put my attachments on. I don't open anything until it breaks, I usually break it more :D