New Guy, Needs Gun.

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Psymon, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    FIRST About me.

I'm a 31 Yr old father, without a decent hobby. I've been really thinking about getting into airsoft. I recently got my 6yr old a Echo 1 Troy, for PLINKING things in the back yard. I know 6 is young, but hes been very good with his Daisy 1 Pump, and I think he'll be fine to play with it SUPERVISED.

While Looking for a decent lower cost gun for him, I really got interested in playing. SO..

Price Range (<$400)

Type of Gun You Want (AEG)

Preferred Gun Models (M4, Troy, Something with good range and a typical assult rifle look)

What Role/Type of Play You Will Be Doing/Playing (Assault, Field, CQB)

I want something I can upgrade, but I do VALUE inital buy quality.. I don't like supporting a company that I've got to make their gun work right.
    I want FULL METAL, with a RIS.

I was originally going to try to get a Systema PTW, but their hard to get ahold of, and it's prolly not a very smart idea for a 1st Gun. I really like the KWA M4 RIS too, but people don't like their proprietary builds.

2. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    Vfc is a great company,You would just need to replace the piston after awhile,But they perform great,And socom gear aeg's are OEM By vfc (Unless otherwise stated) but they usually have Aftermarket rails and such,So i would get a socom gear!

3. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    Thanks for the info... I've heard good things about VFC.

I was basicly thinking VFC, G&G, KWA, OR TM. I was told these are the upper end quality guns.

4. THE_ELIMANATOR

THE_ELIMANATOR New Member

Hebron
    I would highly advise TM or VFC both of thier platforms are highly upgrade friendly

5. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Most aftermarket guns are highly upgrade friendly...now does Tokyo Marui even make full metal m4s for under 400?

6. LegacyAirsoft

LegacyAirsoft You can say I tech a little...

Massachusetts
    For a full metal m4 with decent stock internals, upgradability, and an ris (>$400.00) I would look into either buying a VFC, G&P or a KWA

7. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize New Member

OKC
    No KWA. A lot of their parts are proprietary. I would say an ICS would be good. I personally own two and love them.

8. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    lol. Condemns KWA for being proprietary then recommends ICS. ICS has proprietary receivers and gearbox shells.

Don't get me wrong, I love ICS and definitely recommend it.

9. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize New Member

OKC
    Well, if he wanted to upgrade its be harder with a KWA then an ICS due to the proprietary parts on a KWA.

10. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    I think I've fell in love.. I just looked at the VFC 417 Lic HK. WOW... airsoftGI has great coupons so I can pick it up just a little over 400.

Anyone know anything about this gun? Trying to figure out what battery to use with it... So i can get a better idea of my cost.

11. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    There,Great great guns,I'd get it.

12. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    The VFC HK417 is a beautiful gun, it should be an excellent choice. Performs well, looks the part, overall pretty good. As for the battery, visit this site: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.asp, and get a Turnigy 2S (7.4v) LiPo 1200MaH 15~25C (it's in the Airsoft section, under the LiPo, LiFe, NiMH Battery section), as well as an IMAX B6AC charger. The battery itself is only $6, the charger is quite a bit more, but it's a good charger and should last for your entire airsoft career. I'd avoid buying any of ASGI's LiPos or chargers, simply because they're overpriced. Hobby shops like HobbyKing stock LiPos for a fraction of the price of airsoft stores, which mark them up massively.

13. demonxboiz

demonxboiz New Member

Chose a VFC 416. Looks AMAZING and performs flawlessly. ~ 23 bps right out the box and did I mention it looks AMAZING? :)

14. chineseairsofterss

chineseairsofterss New Member

Also consider G&P, they are great guns, the sentry is truely a piece of art. Highly recommend TM if you can find one, and afford one.

15. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    I recommend VFC or G&P. G&P is the best stock M4 overall in my opinion.

16. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    I wasn't convinced G&P quality was on the same level as VFC, but only because of reviews, and things I've read. I don't think I'm going M4, although it's prolly the best utility platform. I want something a little different. I'm leaning twards the 417 by VFC because its different. Plus it hits a little harder out of the box.. The place I might try to play at allows 500 FPS (Wow Right?) I don't wanna go out there with 300 FPS. My wife is insisting that I wait until after the Holidays. I guess I'll have to oblige her.

17. Death_by_turtleZ

Death_by_turtleZ New Member

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=8733 Great gun!!! I use it a LOT. It has good rail space, comes with rail covers so they won't get scratched, shoots about 400-420, WORK HORSE!!! Cheapish, great range, good ROF, I FULLY recommend this gun for an outdoor player!!!!!!!!

18. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    Uh...no. Comparing an ASGI custom Combat Machine to a VFC 417 is like comparing a 1999 Honda Civic to a 2013 Nissan GTR. OP: just get the 417, you'll be happy.

19. muntjac13

muntjac13 Member

Foster City
    yup...If you can get your hands on a VFC 417...you'll become an instant celebrity at your field. Get it. NOW. :) And then post up pictures and tell us how amazing it is so we can puke rainbows

20. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus New Member

416 owner about to land a 417 as not to separate the family. Oh and because they're built solid.