New hiking boots

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by SRT, Jan 4, 2016.

1. SRT

SRT Member

berks county
    Hi, I'm looking for a hiking type boot like I've seen in many "operators" . I don't know much about these types of boots and I haven't had much luck online does anyone know of a hiking type boot preferably below $160 that comes in a size 15 or 16. If so, thank you in advance.

2. tortise

tortise Member

Cleveland
    I am assuming you are just asking about hiking boots? Soloman, merrel and asolo come to mind. I've used merrel for a couple years now and reccomend them.

3. Steve116277

Steve116277 Member

North Alabama
    Merrel. I've worn a pair for over a year now. Play all day, hike all day, my feet never hurt.

4. SRT

SRT Member

berks county
    Sorry, I wasn't clear, I know I want a pair of merrells but where can I find sawtooths or moabs in a size 15 or 16 and if so how much . I haven't had much luck on my own.

5. tortise

tortise Member

Cleveland
    Ahh, can't help you too much on that front, I wear a size 13 and normally don't see many larger sizes in stock. I'd recommend going to local stores and see if you can find anything. If you want to find more brands, don't be afraid to go to non airsoft sites for info.

6. Stonearmdog

Stonearmdog Member Supporting Member

Sevierville
    You may have to special order the correct size.

7. TC4Tay

TC4Tay Member Supporting Member

Richmond
    I wear merrel moabs both at work and airsoft and they are awesome. Very comfortable and have lasted very well so far. Ive had them for about 11 months.

8. SRT

SRT Member

berks county

I saw moabs are a lot of mesh, do you have any problems with moisture or dirt getting in?

9. TC4Tay

TC4Tay Member Supporting Member

Richmond
    There are types of Moab. The Moab ventilator one, "Waterproof", and Gortex water proof ones.
    Ventilator are not water resistant/proof. Dust shouldn't be a problem.

The "waterproof" ones keep dust out pretty well and are actually just water resistant. Stand in a large puddle and it will soak in a little bit over time but splashes are kept out pretty well.

Gortex moabs are pretty much water proof.

I have the Gortex moabs and they have worked well. I also had a pair of the " Waterproof" ones and like I said, splashes or wet grass is no problem for the most part but if the boot doesn't have enough time to dry out while wearing them, they will eventually soak in.

Gortex mid-length Moab boots in my size (10.5) are about $160 depending where you get them. "Waterproof" ones are about $120-$130, sometimes cheaper.

****EDIT****
    Look like Only the Merrel MidLength "Waterproof" boots are availible in a size 15 direct from merrel's website
    http://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-mid-waterproof/16281M.html?dwvar_16281M_color=J88623#cgid=men-footwear-hiking&prefn1=itemStyle&prefv1=Hikers&prefn2=size&prefv2=15&prefn3=technologyCollection&prefv3=Waterproof&start=1

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016