new hop up

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by bal1, Dec 28, 2012.

1. bal1

bal1 New Member

I'm looking to start and finish two dmr projects. I know nothing of hop UPS. I need all the help I can get. Anyway starting my ics m16 project. What type/brand hop up/bucking should I buy. Then I'm finishing my ak dmr. What hopup/bucking should I buy for that?

Thanks.

2. Pyronius

Pyronius New Member

Pleasant View
    Is the M16 a one or two piece hop-up?

3. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

Lonex M4 Hop Up Unit (Zinc)
    Lonex Hard Bucking
    3 R-Hop Units and an Easy Install Kit if you think you'd need it.
    2 M-Nub Units
    Prometheus 6.03 TBB (Whatever length you need for the M16, 363mm is probably not the length you need)

And that's pretty much all you would need as far as the hop up and barrel assembly goes. If you wanted to start out with a simpler mod than R-Hopping it, then I would flat hop it.

4. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Replacing the ICS will require fitting, it's more of a pain in the *** than it's worth. Besides that, the ICS design is superior to standard M16 hopups.

The ICS hopup is dial-based, so it's very consistent and won't work itself loose. It's basically one of the best hopups out there. Like Axis said, just switch to a Lonex Hard bucking + R Hop + M Nub. Don't forget a Barrel Lock Down Kit.

5. Axis

I didn't include a Barrel Lock Down Kit because they are out of stock currently on Clandestine. He might be able to get in contact with HS5 himself to get one though.

I think I got lucky, I got a Barrel Lock Down Kit for Christmas. :p

6. Rusty34

Rusty34 New Member

Corneria
    Try the 5KU blue hop up unit. It's a clone of the Prowin hop up and Prowin makes amazing hop up units. The 5KU isn't as nice but it's better than most units on the market.

7. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    The ICS hop up unit doesn't need to be replaced though, it's fine as is. You only need to replace a hop up unit if the unit is defective.

8. bal1

bal1 New Member

No clue what the difference is. Or how to identify them.

9. bal1

bal1 New Member

What is a barrel lock down kit?

10. Axis

A Barrel Lock Down Kit is used to keep the inner barrel in place to further increase accuracy. There is also the Teflon tape mod, where you tape Teflon around your inner barrel to the same result of the Barrel Lock Down Kit.

The Teflon tape mod is the cheaper way to go, while the Barrel Lock Down Kit is the more convenient way to go in my opinion.

11. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
  12. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    I agree. I loved the stock unit that came in my ICS. It seemed to be a more stable design than the normal stock hop up unit. As for stabilizing the barrel IME I have not seen any benefit to the lock down kit if normal Teflon tape spacing.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  13. Rusty34

Rusty34 New Member

Corneria
    TM and it's clones are two piece. But other brands are normally one piece.