New M4

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Ace4300, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Hey, looking into a new m4. My budget is around $200. I've come down to two: the KWA CQR and the G&G combat machine. I would just go with the KWA, but the G&G has a rail system, and I was going to use it as an upgrade platform. Which one should I get?

2. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Neither, I'd say go with this. You will have plenty of rail space.http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_24_83&products_id=9621
    Then after coupon codes you will have spare money for these two.
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_47_625&products_id=2995
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_74_640&products_id=8478

Now I'm not going to do the math but after coupon codes it will be slightly over your budget. Hopefully you can get the extra money together.

EDIT: I did the math, you will be over by about 10 cents. I hope it doesn't break you. ;)

3. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Thanks for the reply. I'll look more into it. Anyone know how accurate the CM is out of the box?

4. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    I have no problem with Phillies' recommendation if that is the way you want to go. However and to answer your question, I'd go with the CQR over the Raider. My son and I both bought G&G Raiders when we first got into airsoft and were thoroughly dissatisfied. Both guns came out of the box shooting between 250 and 280 FPS. When we took it to our local gun tech, we learned tht the gearbox shells were out of spec and allowed air to leak around the cylinder. G&G refused to do anything about it - terrible customer service.

After owning two KWA's (SR10 and KM4A1), I can say that the 2GX gearbox is solid. The only beef I have had with either gun is that the piston o-ring dries out over time and the motor will wear out quickly with a M120 or stronger spring. KWA has great customer service as well as a 45 day warranty. By the way, the rumor that KWA guns cannot be upgraded because of proprietary parts is false. Only the metal nozzle and 2GX gearbox are truly proprietary. Honestly, I don't see any point in replacing those parts with aftermarket ones.

Between the two, I'd get the CQR. :). You'll get a better quality gun, better warranty and better customer service than with a comparable G&G gun.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  5. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Well it depends if you are ever going to upgrade the gun. If you are go with the ICS as I suggested. If you are going to leave it stock for pretty much ever, go with the KWA. I agree the KWA gearbox is solid, but so is the ICS. The only problem with the KWA is it can't really be upgrade too much. The ICS on the other hand has a split gear box which makes upgrading a breeze. Like I said, stock = KWA, upgrading = ICS. On the topic of the G&G CM. The first generation models were good guns. Now they have crappy wiring, motor, etc.

6. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Thanks again. I guess I should just get a rail and a PEQ box for the KWA, or would you recommend saving up for a more expensive model?

7. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Well if you need the rail just get the ICS posted.

8. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    As they say, I disagree. I have upgraded both my KWA guns with no problem at all - including spring, piston, piston head and motor. I put a MOSFET in both of them as well. They are both running fine. A friend of mine has done a high speed build (38 BBs/sec) on a KM4 RIS with no problems.

There is nothing wrong with ICS, I'm just tired of hearing false statements that you cannot upgrade a KWA gun because of proprietary parts. The only truly proprietary parts are the gearbox shell and nozzle. Those are the parts you rarely (if ever) need to replace.

I will say one thing. The split gearbox on the ICS is rather ingenious. You can have one gearbox "upper" set up for CQB play and another one for higher FPS field games.

Ace, if you are considering getting a "better" KWA, I would look at the KM4A1 (wired to the front) or KM4 RIS (with rails and wired to the rear in a crane stock). You should be able to find one for @$80-100 more than the CQR. The difference is that the KM4A1 and KM4 RIS are "all metal" and have cylinders that are ported more to the rear (Type 4/5). This gives you FPS that is closer to 400. The CQR is a good starter gun though.

9. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Ah, I see now. Well I guess you learn something new everyday, I was under the influence that KWA was propreitary. In that case go with the KWA. But g&p is nice if you can stretch your budget.

10. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    See Phillies, I've only had a small sip of the Kool Aid. :p.

Seriously though, G&P makes nice guns too. So does VFC. If you can afford them, they also very nice.

11. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
  12. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

I have owned three G&G CM raiders. Each and every one of them has lasted me long the reason I sold them is because I thought I could get a better gun for around $200+. I was wrong I am recieving a New CM this thursday. My brother has one and my friend has had one. The G&G gun has never let anyone down around here. I've owned well over $1000+ of AEGs in my time. I allways end up going back to a G&G and then I see a gun that i'm almost sure will be better so I sell the G&G and buy the other and soon find that it's not as good as the G&G. The G&G won't let you down. As for Bulldawg, My best thought is that you got a Lemon. Every company Makes some Lemons. I've never got one before. G&G and KWA are both excellent choices. In my opinion, It all comes down to personel preference. I highly doubt either one will fail you.

13. glenlovesm4

glenlovesm4 New Member

Knoxville
    ICS makes really good guns. Just remember to get a nice battery, smart charger, and always use high grade bbs. ( I shouldn't have to tell you to wear eye protection.)

14. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

I just used an extra GB shell from a G&G CM and took a hammer to it to test it's strength and It took forever for me to even bend the metal. The front and back would not come off though period. I'm a pretty big guy weighing in at about 235lbs and I still can't destroy it. This gun's gearbox will not fail. And don't even get me started on the gears. Like I said though, Neither one is gonna fail you. The ICS is pretty decent as well aside from the cheap piston.

15. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    so the CM is good? I just want as cheap as possible so I can get some extras with it (Grip, tightbore, flashlight, etc.)

16. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

The CM is EXCELLENT. Get the Raider not the Carbine. My friend got rid of his thinking he could get something better and now he wishes he didn't get rid of it. And then I've owned 3 of them in my time none of those three have ever failed me in any way. I have ordered my 4th and final. Like i've said, I allways thought that I would find something better but never have. I've owned G&P, Marui, Echo1, JG, CA and more and I can easily say that the Cm is the best. It is the exact same as the G&G Toptech guns but in a high strength Polymer body. The CM is my recomendation. It is Amazing. Also the gearbox is made of Aluminum instead of the cheapo stuff used on most gearboxs. You will not be disapointed with this gun.

17. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    If it was a mis-cast gearbox shell in just one gun, I would agree with you. When its two guns from two different manufacturing "batches" that have the same mis-cast shell, then it's either a manufacturing defect or poor quality control. After two bad ones in a row with non-existent customer service, I will not take a chance on a third round.

18. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

I've worked on G&G guns and never found anything like that. It was most likely a defective item. G&G is known for their quality. But as I said before, Every company makes there lemons. Even Marui, G&P, KWA, and Systema.

19. ShooterMcgavin

ShooterMcgavin New Member

New Port News
    masterpro are you working with G&G regular line or are you working with their Combat Machine line?

20. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member