New person

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by zakalwe, Nov 30, 2021.

1. zakalwe

zakalwe New Member

So I can edit profile fully.
    About 4 years into airsoft.

I do things like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recently modded the MAWL repro to have a 2.5mm switch socket;

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    You are a customizer....very unique.

3. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    Nice man. Looks like a fun CQB gun. Whats the base gun or did you build from scratch?

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    I see 5KU parts...

5. zakalwe

zakalwe New Member

Thanks guys :)

The base gun is the ICS Hera BCM: https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/product-specific-guides/hera-arms-cqr-m4-a-thing-of-pure-beauty

I've spent about 2k on it, swapped pretty much every single part now literally, just using the Hera stock and foregrip. Basically built from the ground up, nothing is stock.

I'm just getting some bits for it cerakoted (like the silver baseplate on the tracer / suppressor) and then it'll be fully complete. It's a DSG with a Warhead motor, 35 RPS is the highest I can get it though.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  6. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Is that due to the low fps requirements of the UK hampering your piston cycle speed?

Have you tried really short stroking it and putting in a heavier spring?

7. zakalwe

zakalwe New Member

I've no idea what it is - I have tried short stroking and using an M175 spring with a spacer guide in the piston.

This is a bad angle but the only pic I can find of the piston right now:
    [​IMG]

Weighs 16.41g w/Head, 19.25g w/Spacer inside.

Old video.

Nothing I do can seem to get it above 35 RPS, I've just put that down to the split ICS gearbox shell itself since I can account for everything else.

Open to ideas though.

8. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    And which Warhead are you using?

Plus what battery?

9. zakalwe

zakalwe New Member

I've been using the standard speed warhead. I've got an UHS one coming by friday that I can try.

nuprol 11.1v 1450mah lipo

Edit; Oh and using the lonex spiral gearset (pinion and bevel)

10. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
  11. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

The very large cutout on the piston isn't a good idea. It will cause binding because the spring with fight to push out of the gap. Learned that the hard way years ago. Hopefully it's not a problem for you.

Otherwise this whole build is really awesome.

JHat and zakalwe like this.
  12. zakalwe

zakalwe New Member

I actually was worried about that, but with the spacer in the piston there's not much 'room' really for the spring to wobble - I will keep an eye on it though. What externally when firing etc should I look out for if it becomes a problem? Or will I only be able to tell afterwards when I open the GB and see a bent spring / broken piston?

And yeah it looks like that battery.

I was thinking of getting something like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LGRGKQG/
    or
    https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/spektrum-2200mah-3s-11.1v-100c-smart-lipo-battery-ic3-443852
    https://www.modelsport.co.uk/produc...250mah-35c-lipo-stick-pack-with-deans-1331091
    https://www.modelsport.co.uk/produc...k-5000mah-3s-11.1v-50c-ultrasport-ec5-1337677
    https://www.modelsport.co.uk/produc...1v-lipo-battery-choose-your-connector--437814

They won't fit in the buffer tube, but the Hera stock has a lot of room inside, I could dremel out space inside for one of these (I've measured it.)

What one should I get?

13. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

If you have space to fit RC grade lipos then I would look for established and/or tested brands since claimed specs for batteries are more often than not wildly inflated. Recently we did a test on a "2000mAh 30C" battery that ended up actually being an 700-850mAh 12-14C lol

One of the lowest IR I've seen in a pack I've measured is from a Turnigy Bolt LiHV 2s 2400mAh 65C (average 4.43mΩ/cell), there is a 3s version with dimensions 114x25.4x34mm. It has no problems being charged at normal lipo voltage, you are just missing out on some capacity.

Gens Ace is another good quality brand to look into.

zakalwe likes this.
  14. RWS3

RWS3 New Member

Groesbeck
    Cool gun!

zakalwe likes this.
  15. zakalwe

zakalwe New Member

Are any of the ones I listed any good that you know? I'm restricted to UK sites really, and also filtering based on the size of the battery (length and height not that important but can't be too thick or it won't fit in.)

Right now the stock looks like this:

(Modded to be magnetized so I don't have to unscrew two very long bolts every time, works great, but if I'm gonna dig out the inside to fit an RC size lipo I'll have to go back to screws.

16. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

I recognize the Spektrum brand name but my knowledge circa 2013 they are a radio manufacturer, not a premium battery distributor. The only brands I recommend for consistent above average quality are Hobbyking's (Turnigy Nano Tech/Bolt, Zippy, etc) and Gens Ace/Tattu (have not used personally but they have a stellar reputation from way back at least since 2010 when I first started going into high-discharge lipos for electric RC. The Kypom batteries Guges distributes actually have some good packs that will fit in your stock, the overall best one of those in 3s flavor is the 1500mAh which had an average cell IR of 11mΩ and had actually rated by my analyzer as nearly 30A continuous.

Hobbyking should ship to UK out of its EU or global warehouse as long as your entire cart is one or the other. They have maximum dimension sliders you can use to narrow your search.

zakalwe likes this.
  17. zakalwe

zakalwe New Member

Oh, searchable via the dimensions? Perfect. I was just lamenting that disability on modelsport.

I have heard good things about the Turnigy Nano, I had two ofthem in my M41A Pulse Rifle, but the connections on the end of them where the wires come out crapped out VERY easily on both of them, one of them started smoking in my living room. I won't be buying them again. I almost blew my lap up with an exploding phone LiPo a few years ago, one failure would be enough but on both batteries? Clearly not as great manufacturing quality as you think.

18. zakalwe

zakalwe New Member

Also, I have the 45mm stock extension spacer which adds a ton of room in the back - I don't like it for aesthetic reasons (trying to keep the gun short as possible, new inner barrel on the way so I can shave about an inch of the outer barrel + Suppressor.).

I just realized that I unfortunately used JB Weld to seal the stock parts together, because I wanted them to remain rigid and not 'creaky cheap plastic feel', so there's no way I could clean out enough room on the inside.

So then, back to square one - just literally tell me what LiPo to get please I really don't mind whatever brand, or the cost. Just want to do whatever I can get this DSG above 35RPS. Although I honestly /seriously/ doubt it has anything to do with the 30C Nuprol - I use the same ones in my SCAR-H with a TitanV2 and the draw on that is fine, the battery should handle it no problem.

This is the nuprol i'm using, there's a bunch of length left in the buffer tube, and I could probably cut space in the stock down to here (Green line):

Attached Files:

19. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    I should get one of those "1450" and have it tested.

aotsukisho likes this.
  20. zakalwe

zakalwe New Member

I've got an IMAX v6, can I test it in any meaningful way with that, or a multimeter?

I'm planning on buying this battery: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/spektrum-2200mah-3s-11.1v-100c-smart-lipo-battery-ic3-443852

With a lot of dremelling the inside of the stock it'll fit in, I think I'm just going to pull the parts apart and hope the JB Weld doesn't cause any damage doing so, or my OCD will have me ship it off to be re-cerakoted.

Manufacturer Spektrum
    Part Number O-SPMX22003S100
    EAN 605482418321
    Battery Height 20-29mm
    Battery Length 110-119mm
    'C' Rating 100C
    Battery Connector Type IC3
    Battery Width 30-39mm
    Battery Capacity 2000-2999mAh
    Voltage 11.1v/ 3s
    Battery Application Flight
    Battery Type LiPo