Featured New to Airsoft

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Paul rotledge, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Paul rotledge

Paul rotledge New Member

warwick
    Need advice. Situation: My wife got me a G&G CM16 Raider 2.0 for Xmass (Can't use it until Xmass :( ). I'm planing to run a Bestsight 2-8x scope on it. Question, Can i run a 45 degree Refexe sight (I have a cheap Feyachi), will this work? (Kill House distance, lessthan 10 meters). I have an AR-15 setup this way, it works with my AR. The reason i ask is because of the Hopup unit and how it functions. Is this doable?

2. Paul rotledge

Paul rotledge New Member

warwick

3. Paul rotledge

Paul rotledge New Member

warwick
  4. Paul rotledge

Paul rotledge New Member

warwick

5. Jamesking

Jamesking Member

South bend
    You should be able to use both on there because I have kind of the same set up and I have the same gun if this doesn’t work let me know I will try to find out why.

6. Jamesking

Jamesking Member

South bend
    This is what my set up looks like 7D757C47-65A6-4119-BED0-9647079C6F5D.jpeg

Spacemonkey likes this.
  7. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    This is to help you realize something and expand a thought process concerning Airsoft System functionality.

That 45 is near useless, I won't immediately give you the reason why, but do you know why I would say this? If you need a hint, I can provide that...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  8. Jamesking

Jamesking Member

South bend
    Then how dose it work on my gun?

Spacemonkey likes this.
  9. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    ?

As in how does a red dot sight work for an AEG at 45 degrees or is your question how does it "not" work on your AEG?

10. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    BB go spin is a solid hint

11. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Awww...that is a brick in a bucket level of a hint.

12. Jamesking

Jamesking Member

South bend
    How dose it

13. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Which part? Part A of my question or Part B?

14. Jamesking

Jamesking Member

South bend
  15. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Airsoft guns have a device called a hop-up.

It induces the Magnus Effect on a bb

"The Magnus effect is an observable phenomenon that is commonly associated with a spinning object moving through air or another fluid. The path of the spinning object is deflected in a manner that is not present when the object is not spinning."

https://www.britannica.com/science/Magnus-effect

This is what gives an Airsoft bb range over say paintball or other objects travelling the same FPS, but does not have the Magnus Effect imparted on to them.

For this to be effective, the bb must get it's spin on an axis that is perpendicular to it's direction of flight and gravity, i.e. a back spin. When a hop-up is misaligned and is "off" center, the bb hooks.

Now if the hop-up unit is centered correctly but the shooter intentionally cants the launch platform (i.e. your AEG). The spin on the bb is now off to the "left" in your example by 45 degrees, which means when the inertia of the bb drops the BB is going to hook-up and to the left - consistently.

This is why a 45 sight is near worthless for shooting in Airsoft. Unlike a projectile that is shot from a device where the axis rotation is in the direction of flight, i.e. a firearm.

When the bb actually starts drifting varies based on FPS and BB weight. A .32g will travel further before it starts to lift, say ~25-30 yards (~290FPS). While a .20g bb will lift much earlier, about ~15-20 yards (~400FPS).

And then if you use a range enhancing packing/rubber (aka bucking) you will shorten that distance. For the +20 yard packing puts a LOT of spin on the bb and definitely hooks up more quickly.

And yes...that hook can be used too. Many a times I have shot around corners and over the top of cover to hit someone taking advantage of that spin...

Squad144 likes this.
  16. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey New Member

Auckland
    Why doesn't the BB follow a consistent path when canted, I would assume it's consistently and predictability to the left every shot? So the red dot could be "sighted in" at the closer range? It seems like there are some people who have figured out how to make it work. I thought you didn't see much of the hopup effect until maybe 2/3 of the BB flight path.

Edit to add link: https://www.guncity.com/hopup

Maybe 2/3 is not entirely accurate.

17. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Again, when it starts hooking varies.

But, the point is...Firearm sighting systems don't always work for Airsoft guns and thus the 45 is not needed and not optimized ideal for Airsoft use.

Scope for 70+ yards sure...anything under 25 yards you really don't need any sights at all really...just walk the bbs like all other non-optics heavy users. But, hey if you want the optics....go for it as long as it brings you joy.

18. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    It depends on how far you are hoping to use the 45. Within maybe 10+ yards (changing based upon how aggressive your hopup is set), sure, you can use a 45 fairly effectively.
    But as guges said, if you tip a firearm on its side it will still shoot basically the same, while an aeg will curve in that direction.
    I'll whip up a diagram to help explain it in a bit, when I'm not on my phone.

19. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey New Member

Auckland
    There a diagram in the link in my post. And hooking varies as you say when you change BB weight/hopup settings etc. But if those are consistent then the flight path should be consistent should it not? Who is changing settings or weight mid game? So if the flight path is consistent gun canted or not, then you should be able to sight it in with the 45 degree red dot, and I don't understand why it is "near worthless". Some people may not want to walk shots until they hit something, for example people with not so perfect eyesight, or someone who wants to hit a guy before he gets back behind cover. Or someone wanting to set up a rifle similar to their RS and develop muscle memory or whatever they do. If you tried, you could call a lot of things worthless, but if you tried you could also come up with situations where perhaps it does have some value.

Str8creepin and Paul rotledge like this.
  20. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    It’s literally worthless other then for looks....you can’t bend physics this way. Easiest way to see how much effect hop has is to completely remove it and see that a bb will barely get to 100 feet with a good amount of lobbing.