Featured New to Airsoft

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Paul rotledge, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey New Member

Auckland
    The discussion isn't about how much effect hop has, it's about if a 45° red dot can be practical. More than one poster in this thread says it can work in theory, and one says it works for him in practice.

2. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    It cannot work at any realistic range due to hop-up physics. Here is a diagram I made (sorry that it's messy).
    Hopefully you can access it.
    Basically, you cannot compare it to RS because the axis of rotation is caused by hop-up, not rifling. Therefore, there is a significant amount of backspin, not spiraling rotation. This backspin is specifically designed to counteract gravity, and only effects accuracy to the degree that it is consistent, unlike a rifle, which is rifled for accuracy.
    If you tip an aeg on its side, whether at a 45 degree angle or otherwise, it messes up the axis of rotation. It is no longer horizontal. A bullet's axis of rotation does not account for gravity and can be tipped in any direction.

Try it. Turn your aeg upside-down and fire it. It will not have comparable range to when it is right-side up.
    Now you can put a 45 degree sight on your aeg if you want and try to use it, but don't expect anything comparable to RS.

Attached Files:

Paul rotledge likes this.

3. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey New Member

Auckland
    But if the deviation is consistent, meaning it's following the same path or trajectory, and it's acceptable at short range, like you would be using on an Airsoft gun, with a scope for longer ranges, like the op and then the other poster has, then it could be practical in some circumstances. The only reason rs was mentioned is to possibly practice dry fire, sight/target acquisition. I don't think anyone here thinks, or thought their Airsoft gun is going to be comparable to real steel. If the question is can you do it, the answer is yes, you can do whatever you want. If the question is should you do it, the answer is sure, as long as you aware of the limitations. If the question is is it useless, the answer is, if you find a situation where you get some benefit from it then no, it's far from useless.

4. Paul rotledge

Paul rotledge New Member

warwick

5. Paul rotledge

Paul rotledge New Member

warwick
    Sorry i'm trying to use this system to post but i'm doing it badly, trying to figure it out.

6. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Here's the thing. At 25 yards, there is no need for a RDS to hit your target. Just walk the bbs in...in practicality it's more efficient. The only purpose or a 45 RDS in real steel is...you can't walk the shots in.

But, if the RDS is your "tool", use it, but know it's limitations.

OutlawAirsoft likes this.
  7. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    I think the issue is not how consistent your shots from the 45 degree position are, it's how far off expected trajectory it's going to go. At any range greater than say 10 yards, the hook effect is probably going to be so large you won't be able to trace the shot from the RDS, and where the BB hits is going to be outside it.

8. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    ^Definitely.

With .12g definitely, especially at high fps.
    With .20g that will be about ~23 yards

9. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

Typically it's best to mount the red dot on top of a scope rather than the side, it's fine for room clearly but after that it's not going to be ideal.

However you can tilt your aeg to hook shot around objects, some places may consider this blind fire. But if people are stacked up on a wall with a short side cover you can cut them down without exposing yourself much.

Honestly if your eyes are decent you don't need a scope on any field legal aeg, even a 75 yard shot doesn't require magnification to do, assuming the red dot is of decent quality. It does however allow you to identify targets better during events when they are farther away.

10. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    And assuming the RDS is magnified. That little unit...not magnified.

11. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    I never found optics to be much use anyway, since I've always walked my shots to the target and they just got in the way. But I have seen them used effectively, and they can help develop muscle memory for RS.

12. Paul rotledge

Paul rotledge New Member

warwick
    I run a RS DPMS AR-15 that way and wish to play the same way.

13. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Well Real ballistics and airsoft ballistics is not the same if the tool is canted.

Bear that in mind when your shots start hooking off target in Airsoft.

14. Paul rotledge

Paul rotledge New Member

warwick
    Why do you say the EF1911 is not a good gun?

15. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Because it's not.

Hop-up is minimally adjustable if at all. Your range is about 40 yards max. While other Airsoft pistols can hit 75 yards.

It uses CO2 as a power source (bad) - Physics and Chemistry at work, you can't argue with mother nature.

And no one makes aftermarket parts for it. Try to find any aftermarket parts for it...

If you run dirty jets in that gun it can cause leaks among other factors.

Airsoft is an unregulated industry with no standards. Distributors and sellers often "exaggerate" the quality and durability of an item and the buying public doesn't know better.

I worked for Cybergun and I was hired by the COO at the time to help change the industry in the USA. Sadly the people that want to continue to fleece the American public forced out the people that wanted change. These were the same people that got the Glock License for Airsoft before Umarex, but didn't know how to use it. They tried to introduce a 10g jet and just sell to the LE market...yeah...not a very bright bulb...the product development manager from France. Then Umarex wrote Glock a 7 figure check and took the civilian distribution away and is now just printing money off the Glocks. So much that VFC is hand fitting them and shoving them out the door as fast as they can. And I have helped them by shipping them Aluma Black in 2 cases so they can touch up the scratches on the hand fitted units.

BTW...that EF1911...19.00 wholesale, MOQ 1200 units. And it retails often well north of 125.00.
    Glocks...about the same at ~$27.00 wholesale per unit.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  16. Paul rotledge

Paul rotledge New Member

warwick
    So, what would be a good side arm to run ? I have a RS 1911A1, a Glock 17 and a Glock 19. I'm looking for something in one of those models.

17. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Well what is your budget?

18. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    I would recommend green gas for whatever model you pick.

19. Paul rotledge

Paul rotledge New Member

warwick
    1) budget could be as high as $400. 2) I was lead to believe that green gas suck in the cold, is this true or not?

20. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    It is true, but you can get variants (e.g. red gas or black gas) that work better.