Featured New to AS and a few questions

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by dajogejr, Oct 29, 2020.

1. dajogejr

dajogejr New Member

Detroit
    All,
    New to the forum and the game, picked up a Krytac MKII SPR. Lots of fun.
    I have G&G .28 bbs and Elite Force Premium Bio BBs, .28gr as well.
    G&G ammo is outstanding, hits behind the dot very reliably.
    The Elite Force Bio bbs not so much, a lot more left and rights then the G&G ammo.
    Is this common with Bio ammo?

I understand from a little research the "nub" style hop up in Krytacs are not as desirable as a flat type.
    My questions:
    Better to get a hop up unit that has flat style?
    Does an Angel or other aftermarket barrel with tighter tolerances, say, 6.1mm increase accuracy and consistency?
    Does a tighter barrel cause strain/wear on other parts as well?

I appreciate your patience with the new guy. I plan on backyard plinking and maybe some light outdoor milsims with some friends for now, not going hard core...yet. LOL

aotsukisho likes this.
  2. Gray.

Gray. New Member

Welcome to the forums! I'm not sure if you meant 6.01mm when you said 6.1mm, but 6.01mm is a precision barrel. It does increase accuracy/consistency. I don't think a tighter barrel causes strain on other parts, but I think it needs good seamless bbs and some cleaning occasionally to not jam.

3. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    EF bb's are rebrands...they are made for cost only...not performance. G&G is well known for quality.

For hop-up Rubbers/Packings, the best style is the one with longer contact patches. That is why Flat and R-Hop came into use. Then for simplicity Maple Leaf refined it for slip on simplicity.

Angel Custom is NOT a component maker of "quality". Its an Evike House Brand where they take stock parts and resell it at a premium to fleece the new players in the market place. This applies to all of his house brands. Matrix, 6mm Proshop...etc.

These are all blow guns. Tighter bore in No Way improves accuracy by itself. Barrel consistency is a key factor and the Japanese have the best barrels followed by Taiwan and Hong Kong.

In addition, the BB doesn't even make contact on the inner barrel it floats through the barrel on a cushion of Air. You can see this buy plugging the muzzle end of a inner barrel and dropping a bb in at the breach. This is also how we test IB bore diameter. Slow...tight...fast...normal...etc.

The only strain a TBB imparts on a the mechbox is is you have a stoppage in the barrel at the breech by using bad bbs and trying to ram it into a TBB.

In Asia...most every day players shoot stock 6.08mm for this very reason...

wetpee, aotsukisho, CacheFlow and 2 others like this.
  4. dajogejr

dajogejr New Member

Detroit
    Got it, yes, I did mean 6.01 ...lol.
    Guges,
    Was hoping you'd reply....read quite a bit of your stuff so far.
    Thank you.
    Can you point me in the direction of parts needed/install of said hop up upgrade? Fairly mechanically inclined but any cheat/short cuts I can to save time AND be safe would be appreciated.

I see the Maple Leaf available in several different varieties, from 50 to 80 degree. For AEG use, can you tell me what the difference is for in practical use?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    wetpee likes this.
  5. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Well your limiting factor is your hop-up arm with the captured nub. You can use the stock nub with a ML packing, but it's not ideal. Think 65% of what it should do.

Softer durometer units take less dial in for spin, but the trade off is lower durability. But if you shoot a medium polish bb you need less dial-in, which means less potential wear...it all varies. I tell most people to try a hair to the soft side for starters.

You may need to file open your window on your stock barrel too to all for the larger ML contact patch on their AEG's rubbers/packings.

6. dajogejr

dajogejr New Member

Detroit
    Guges,
    Is there a drop in solution? As in new hop up, new barrel, etc?
    I don't mind swapping out parts for an upgrade if it means better performance and getting rid of the arm/nub system of Krytac.
    Thank you, again for the explanation and lesson.

7. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    I think you can drop in a standard Rotary as a replacement...I have a Krytac Hop-Up here and I will compare it with a G&P rotary to see if they are dimensionally similar.

8. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

9. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Only if the barrel window is enlarged sufficiently.

wetpee and aotsukisho like this.
  10. dajogejr

dajogejr New Member

Detroit
    Very cool, thanks.
    Newbie question 101...
    If I get the arm, I'll need:
    New Packing
    Enlarge window on the barrel

Anything else?

wetpee and aotsukisho like this.
  11. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Good medium polish bb.

12. dajogejr

dajogejr New Member

Detroit
    Brand suggestions? G&G seem to fly like lasers. I'd like a quality bio degradable option in .28 for messing around the backyard. I'm here to learn and appreciate the help.

wetpee likes this.
  13. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

ML packing
    The Krytac inner barrel may or may not need modification, I'm fairly certain it will work. I currently run ML packings on ZCI, Lambda, and ML barrels.

Peeque likes this.
  14. Peeque

Peeque Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lancaster
    I see you say to use medium polished BB's a lot but I've never actually seen them anywhere. All the BB's I know of are high polish.

Where do you get yours at?

wetpee likes this.
  15. dajogejr

dajogejr New Member

Detroit
    Just ordered up the Maple Leaf packing and the Airsoft arm for my Krytac.
    I'll let you know how they turn out once they arrive and I get a chance to get them setup.

Thanks again.

16. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    I buy the brands from Asia.

G&G, VFC, Azimuth...

wetpee and Peeque like this.
  17. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

A cheap tightbore won't outperform a stock barrel always. Tight bores grant like 10 more fps but with a tight bore, there is a chance of more side to side surface contact, especially if the barrel is dirty or slightly bent. There are very wide bore barrels out there that have great accuracy but have more fps loss.

There are some really nice 6.03-6.05 stainless barrels out there that provide a nice balance with that fps boost, but are more expensive that a brass barrel.

As for bbs, g&g bbs are probably one of the best options out there for their price. Bio bbs are much softer than normal bbs, that is if they are truly biodegradable. Unfortunately this makes them leave a ton of residue in barrels and they tend to feed horribly in mid cap magazines, they get flat spots from the tension of the magazine which causes them to not feed. Some bio bbs are harder, but aren't really biodegradable, such as hpa bbs. But when your at a milsim, you have to use what works and is allowed, even if it's not truly biodegradable. Some may have had better luck with bios, but I've juggled enough mid caps around with enough brands of bios and spent enough time cleaning barrels to know they aren't the best option for reliability and functionality.

wetpee, JHat and dajogejr like this.
  18. yrutimid

yrutimid Active Member

Phoenix
    One option is Poseidon. I'm using one rn. for $45-75 its not a bad unit at all. the packing it comes with is decent. When i compare it to brass my fps goes up 14ish. granted the brass came from a lancer so idk if that's a good comparison at all. I'm using .2s at 314 fps and its a laser.

19. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

Aren't they a special groved barrel? Like a cut-out on the bottom for more air cushion effect.

I've stuck to mostly laylax and pdi barrels. Pdi being higher quality from what I've seen, unfortunately the bore isn't even really polished so they are great candidates for lapping/polish. Zci barrels are very well polished, but they have had quality control issues and from the ones I've seen, they tend to have a slight bend most the time and sometimes internal machining warp from the outside cuts on the barrel.

Another brand that has been considered one of the best are lambda barrels.

Stainless barrels aren't a must. But they don't scratch as easy and don't rust or corrode over time.

However the packing and hopup really determine like 70% of the accuracy, ive always stuck to flat hopping and recent have liked the new maple leaf packings. Some barrels however don't have their packing grove alignment guide cut perfectly across from the window of the barrel, which can cause issues with normal packings and maple leafs.

yrutimid likes this.
  20. yrutimid

yrutimid Active Member

Phoenix
    yes

their arp9 barrel disappointed me. it hopped every other bb on any packing i used. (i tried a G&G packing, shs 60 degree, and Poseidon)