New to AS and a few questions

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by dajogejr, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

That sounds like the barrel had a slightly different c clip cutout placement, making it apply too little pressure on the back of the packing, which can create feeding issues that affect hop entirely. I may be wrong but doesnt the arp9 have an angled hop up? That would make it very sensitive to slight differences. This is just a guess however.

yrutimid likes this.
  2. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

It's one of those short-throw rotary units, if that's what you're asking. Increased nub angle of attack on high hop settings.

yrutimid likes this.

3. yrutimid

yrutimid Active Member

Phoenix
    I had switched the original out for a krytac hop up.

4. yrutimid

yrutimid Active Member

Phoenix
    I forgot to mention this, but i had a friend with a brand new stock arp9 and i asked if i could throw the Poseidon Barrel into just to see what it would read. With the stock barrel it was reading 320-240. With my big boy barrel, it was reading 410-420. I never have seen that kind of fps boost before in my life just by changing the inner barrel setup. Just for more info, the barrel is 455mm long. And no its not that long to improve accuracy and range. its that long cause i was sick of small rails and i just wanted something longer in general.

5. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

Second anecdotal confirmation. I was getting 425fps with a ZCI 455x6.02mm inner barrel with a stock ARP9 gearbox and Krytac hop unit.

Guges said the spring in the gearbox is an M125 and the cylinder is 3/4 ported. I guess mine was on the stiffer end of the tolerance spectrum.

yrutimid likes this.
  6. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

Technically that would mean the original cylinder wasn't volumed properly to the stock length barrel, which isn't uncommon. I just have a stock gearbox with basically a mp5 cylinder for a full 363mm barrel. For that I suspect they don't care when throwing the same gearbox into multiple different guns with different upper lengths.

Finding the sweet spot for volume balance is always interesting, and sometimes hard to predict. Some have done some math stuff to try to predict it, but I'm not trying to have an aneurysm.

7. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    No...G&G sets up the ARP9 in this way "intentionally".

If you volume for the shorter barrel you will severally affect timing. I.e. setup with ~M90 spring with Type 2 cylinder results in a 330fps on a short barrel AEG. But, the first person who puts a high voltage battery in it and it will PME in seconds. To prevent this if you set it up like a long barrel AEG and a stiffer spring...PME will never happen.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    yrutimid likes this.
  8. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

Interesting. Didn't think about people using very weak springs with vented cylinders having a slow return time, but that makes sense. Not exactly efficient but for a manufacturer they probably care more about preventing returns due to stripped pistons more than performance/efficiency.

yrutimid likes this.
  9. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Exactly.

10. wetpee

wetpee Member

Libertyville
    This thread is fantastic.

11. dajogejr

dajogejr New Member

Detroit
    update.
    Put in the Airtech studios arm and ML packing. I have a 6.03mm Prometheus barrel on order as well as some G&G bio .28s.
    The elite force bio bbs simply are not as consistent as the non bio G&G bbs i have. I understand they are softer.

Put the arm and packing on yesterday, a little less right to left, I understand I need to get the packing broken in a bit.
    Looking forward to putting on the new barrel and comparing results.

I'm already running a 11.1 lipo, if I wanted better trigger cycling in semi mode what are my options?

wetpee likes this.
  12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Pieces of rubber don't need to "break-in" rather it needs to set and the barrel needs to be oil/grease free. Have you cleaned you barrel and packing/rubber/bucking with a solvent?

Your 11.1V 3S LIPO may not be sufficient, especially if the pack is a Airsoft pack made by Tenergy or is sold only in the Airsoft Industry.

If it can't dump the amps, the voltage will sag and your trigger response will be slow.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    wetpee likes this.
  13. dajogejr

dajogejr New Member

Detroit
    I remove the packing and cleaned the barrel with brake clean.
    I cleaned the packing with acetone and a Qtip.

I use Valken 1000mAh LiPo stick batteries.
    Open to suggestions on quality batteries that'll fit in my stock Guges.

14. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    That Valkan is a sub-par pack...you definitely get voltage sag with that unit. That is a 20C Burst 10C continuous pack.

That pack is also rather small...are you putting that in a real tight space?

If you pack is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Valken-Airsoft-Battery-11-1V-1000mAh/dp/B01C04R0O2

Mine is 3.00 less, 5% longer, 40% more capacity at 2X the performance level.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    wetpee likes this.
  15. dajogejr

dajogejr New Member

Detroit
    I use that battery but Mini Tamiya. It fits in the butt end of the stock on my Krytac. I'm on board buying two from you, message me the details and thank you.