New to the Ps3.....Lots of questions

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by Whiplashairsoft1, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Whiplashairsoft1

Whiplashairsoft1 New Member

42 Wallaby Way
    Hey guys,

I just bought a PS3 slim. I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of questions, but for now, I only have one. I put in Battlefield Bad Company 2, and it said I had to like update or something (Sorry, I know NOTHING about video games) so I hit "ok". It says it's 3 percent complete and will take another 262 minutes to finish. Is this normal? Or did I do something wrong?

2. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    Normal. Games have updates that released at different times called patches, where the developers fix things/add things in the game that aren't already built into the disc. PS3s take awhile to download stuff.

3. Whiplashairsoft1

42 Wallaby Way
    Okay, thanks. PSN is under maintenance right now, so I don't have a PSN yet, but I may add you when I get one.

4. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    No problem. My PSN is in my signature. Please get BFBC2 Vietnam! It's the best DLC ever!

5. Whiplashairsoft1

42 Wallaby Way
    Is that something you download as extra content or or what? Sorry, I know NOTHING about video games.....

6. Whiplashairsoft1

42 Wallaby Way
    Wait NM sorry. Just googled the meaning of DLC XD

7. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    DLC = DownLoadable Content. It's an extra that you have to pay for, but you get 4 new maps, and Vietnam era weapons. With all games there are DLCs, most just include new multiplayer maps to play on, but the Vietnam pack for BFBC2 comes with some other stuff.

8. Whiplashairsoft1

42 Wallaby Way
    Ah. So you pay for it with a credit card or what?

9. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    Credit card through PSN store or with a PSN points card. Debit cards work too.

10. Whiplashairsoft1

42 Wallaby Way
  11. bal1

bal1 New Member

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been blocked.

12. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    It basically like currency only usable on the PSN store. it has a code you have to redeem and that you get PSN points are whatever. I just use my debit card. Much easier.

@bal1: why?

13. bal1

bal1 New Member

It is not related to airsoft. Threads like this one are usually removed a few days after creation.

14. Whiplashairsoft1

42 Wallaby Way
    How long have you been around?

It's in the staging area, bud. That's where we talk about anything.

Thatguy, thanks for your help. I’ll post here if I have more questions.

15. bal1

bal1 New Member

Had an old account and forgot the password. Apparently they updated the app/website and I didn't notice. My bad.

16. Whiplashairsoft1

42 Wallaby Way
    No problem bro. Did you clear that duplicate account with the mods? I think Austin can send you your old password.

Edit: Thatguy, why is it now taking 250 minutes instead of 209 like it was earlier? I have it 20 percent completed.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  17. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    It will keep adding/taking away minutes depending on how good your wifi is at that time.

18. Whiplashairsoft1

42 Wallaby Way
    Ah. *Moves wireless hotspot closer to Ps3, and closes out of email and airsoft society.*

19. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    Lol, yeah you might want to decrease your bandwidth as well, which you've pretty much already done.

20. Finalencounter

Finalencounter Duke of Penguins Supporting Member

Warrenton
    Welcome to the world of PS3! Add me, jakedoo98
    Thatguy pretty much cleared everything up, but you mainly just have to update to play online, you can press o to cancel it when you get to that screen, and you can play the campaign. But if you want to play online... Yeah, you have to update.
    To add on the what thatguy said, if you happen to have Hughesnet, which I do, and hate, you bandwidth will become slower and more sluggish.