Night before anxiety

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by jon_wallace95, Dec 2, 2012.

1. jon_wallace95

jon_wallace95 Well-Known Member

Ok so my first high performance gun gets here tomorrow, my jg m4-s, and I can't wait, what do you guys do when you have that pre gun anxiety? What is the first thing you do when it gets here? After I test it is there any maintenance or mechanical work that should be done? This gun is going to be my baby, before I've just used lpegs and springers, so I want to make this one last a lifetime, I plan on upgrading it in the future, do all the DIY mods and then take it to the local shop to get the other ones done, but what should I do on the fort day after testing and inspecting? Are there any specific things I should check for? Sorry for this very noobish post, like I said I've mostly use either a cyma bolt action or a colt springer.

2. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

Always do maintenance before using a JG as they will last a LONG time with the right maintenance.
    1.Shim. There's a guide on this forum but I forgot the link...
    2.Adjust motor engagement.
    3.Clean out barrel to get any factory grease out.
    4.Attempt to clean off any gearbox grease.
    5.If you have money, solder off the gun's connecters, and replace with Deans connectors. Do this on the battery and charger as well.
    Your gun should be at it's maximum stock performance then.

3. jon_wallace95

I always check for grease, I saw the shim guide, but I'm still lost, I get how to do it but what do you use for a shim? For me shimming is putting skinny triangle of wood under the stage set for plays. (I do stage craft, building the sets for plays and stuff cause my school got rid of shop classes, so it's the only class where you can build stuff and use power tools)

4. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

Lolz, here's a link to a helpful guide.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RW6C2cBUro[/ame]

5. jon_wallace95

6. bal1

bal1 New Member

No offense,but a stock jg is not high performance,but good buy proper maintenece and the thing will last a long time.

7. jon_wallace95

Well compared to my past guns it's high performance, I realize there are a lot better stock m4s but what I mean was high quality upgradable rifle, once I upgrade it then it will be high performance, I plan on upgrading everything I can, it says it should be at my house around noon, so right when I get home I'm going to open it up, take the gearbox out, get rid o the factory grease an re grease it, I learned how to shim it so I will be doing that and then I'll adjust the motor height. What is the first upgrade I should do that requires purchasing a part? Like I said I'm new to the higher quality airsoft guns, as of right now the bet one I have is a cyma zm51, which after changing some internals is actually decent, gets about 120-150 ft, accuracy on it needs some help, but I plan on upgrading the jg to where I can use it as a dmr. Or atleast somewhere near there. I already have a rds, vertical grip, and a flashlight and laser for it, but I want to get an ACOG style scope, and an angled foregrip, and maybe a crane stock. Still unsure of the internal upgrades to get first, any help guys?

8. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That shimming method is obsolete, you should shim by the bevel to get optimal meshing between all the gears.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it properly:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y5eW8Hu1ac[/ame]

9. jon_wallace95

Ok, I'll follow that guide instead. I'm so anxious, haven't gotten a new gun in a while, been checking the tracking every 30 minutes.

10. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

F***!! Crap. Guess this means I'll have to reshim all my guns soon. :(

11. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Your guns will probably be fine if you shimmed them by the spur. The bevel gear method will potentially make your gearbox more silent and reduce wear on the pinion gear.

12. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

Might as well play it safe and re-shim. I already know I'm going to have to re-shim a friend's new G4-A2 Silent Death, and I'm a little rusty, so a little practice on this new method won't hurt.

13. jon_wallace95

Ok so which gear do I start from?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  14. jon_wallace95

The gun hasn't gotten here yet by it is scheduled to be delivered by today, so I'm in my driveway with a lawn chair, a cooler and a bag of chips waiting

15. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

Nice. Reply back when you get the gun. :)

16. jon_wallace95

I've had to explain to all my neighbors who are giving me quizzical looks

17. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

You're always the special kid on the block when your sitting on the porch waiting for your gun. "Hey kid, what are you waiting for?" "I'm waitin' for my fancy new toy gun!" lol

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  18. jon_wallace95

Just got here! Wooooo

19. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

I want a first impression since I have not handled a JG M4 in a while. :p

20. jon_wallace95

First impression? Love at first sight, after picking it up, love it but realize this is heavy as hell, look at the battery voltage and cry, 1.2v stock battery with mini connector