NJ LAW?

Discussion in 'New Jersey Airsoft Forum' started by Quickshot81, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Quickshot81

Quickshot81 New Member

Hey Guys , new to airsoft but I'm all in! Bought a few and I would like to test them to make sure range is good and all working properly. Have place in mind but wasn't sure if I was able to take them out. All of them have the orange tip but wanted to know if you guys had any issue taking them outside target shooting, maybe in your yard or remote place. In the end they all look real i don't want any trouble so wanted see if there was any input.

Thankso_O

2. interceptor

interceptor Active Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    I agree with ma_airsoft. Don't use your gun unless there is a 0% chance of being seen by anyone else. The exception would be a private airsoft field or CQB arena. This is good advice no matter where you are. Being arrested is bad, getting shot by a cop far worse.

I decided to look up what the law is in NJ. I think I finally found airsoft laws worse than California (where I live). The Graves Act was originally intended to create penalties for use of a gun in a crime. In 2008, the Graves Act was expanded to include replica guns. I'm not a lawyer but my interpretation of the law is that airsoft handguns are considered firearms and require a permit to own. Having an airsoft handgun without a permit is punishable by up to 3 years in prison (although local jurisdictions may ask for a waiver to reduce the penalty). It is less clear if airsoft rifles fall under this same restriction (various websites claim it is so but I can't see it in the actual text of the law). Here's the crazy part - you can legally buy an airsoft handgun without a permit but need one to own one. Hence it is legal to buy guns in NJ online or in an airsoft store.

OP: you didn't mention what types of airsoft guns you have but technically if any are handguns, you should have a permit. The law may not be enforced strictly (because it's so lame) but you should know anyway.

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-2c/section-2c-39-5/

3. Quickshot81

Quickshot81 New Member

I have my firearms ID Card in NJ. But I really just wanted to go to my yard and put a target and shoot. Now im going to have to play without testing. Or like you said , find a hidden place to shoot a Plastic BB. lol

4. interceptor

interceptor Active Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    Don't know if you saw the story but you'll find it if you search "airsoft NJ law" but the guy got arrested for shooting at a rubber ducky in his backyard (he didn't have a firearms permit).

5. Topshotz357

Topshotz357 Well-Known Member

Drexelhill
    Best and simplest advice regardless of state is treat it like a real gun and all will be fine heck take it to a shooting range yeh they will look at you weird for bringing a "toy"gun there but you will get to sight it in