No full auto - G36

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Skragnon, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Skragnon

Skragnon New Member

I recently started with airsoft. To that end I purchased a used G36 for a good prices as a project gun to familiarize myself with maintenance and modifications to an airsoft gun and the associated gearbox.

I've had some issues with opening, shimming, etc. which the guides on these forums have been very helpful. However I haven't been able to find anything with the search feature with this particular problem.

Safe works great. Semi works great. However the gun will not shoot in full auto.

1. When the selector plate is slide fully to the right, the cut-off lever does not move. The ramped up portion of the selector plate does not touch the cut-off lever.
    [​IMG]

I believe I need to simply replace the cut-off lever with something like: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=4275 which has an extra portion on the underside of the disconnector nub to contact that ramped portion. Is there a different approach I should be considering?

2. Now the interesting bit. If I manipulate the cut-off lever to the position where it would be under full auto, the trigger mechanism doesn't contact the trigger trolley, thus it isn't slid forward to connect the trigger contacts.
    [​IMG]

I'm looking for a place to start troubleshooting this particular problem.

2. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Well if the selector plate isn't pushing against the cut off lever in the back position. Then you won't have full auto.

If you can shoot the gun while holding the cut off lever, then it's fine :)

3. Skragnon

Skragnon New Member

Please watch the second video again. Even when the cut-off lever is engaged, I still don't have full auto.

4. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Second video? I don't see any :/ only a picture sir

5. Skragnon

Skragnon New Member

I apologize if I was unclear in my initial message.

I included two videos for review of the concern. I clicked on both prior to my response and they both appear to work fine for me.

Do they not work for you if you click on them?

6. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    They don't work for me. Maybe you should upload them to YouTube and provide links for us?

7. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    The guy you bought it from probably has a different gun's cutoff lever in it. I had that issue myself when I didn't pay attention to the cutoff lever from the Dboys AK shell I bought from Griffin.

8. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    I have had the opposite problem in my G36, due to the cutoff lever. No matter what position it is in, it fires full auto. It also has something to do with the shell of the gearbox as well I believe.

9. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    That would be a little different. The sector gear isn't engaging the cut off lever. Shimmed too high

Or the cut off lever is not engaging the trigger contact dolley. File/shape the left side of the trigger contact dolley to spec. And make sure it's free of debris.

And make sure the cut off lever can move as well lol. Just to double check ;)

10. Skragnon

Skragnon New Member

11. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
  12. Skragnon

Skragnon New Member

13. Skragnon

Skragnon New Member

I've considered that possibility, by manually operating the cut-off lever into the upward position (as seen in the second video). The trigger doesn't make contact with the trigger trolley, thus the gun doesn't fire.

14. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    The previous owner either changed the cutof lever or the trigger trolley. Open up the GB and take everything out exept the trigger components. Pull up the cut off lever and see if anything obstructs the trigger trolley moving back and forth. Should give you an idea of what parts need adjusting/shaving.

15. Skragnon

Skragnon New Member

I've done what you requested previously, to no avail. This was one of the troubleshooting steps already taken before coming here.

If the trigger isn't making contact with the cut-off lever pushed up, an obstruction is a secondary step at this point. It isn't moving because the trigger doesn't touch. If after the contact issue is corrected the trolley doesn't move, I can see further investigation being required.

Now, is the trigger not making contact because when I adjust the cut-off lever by hand I'm lifting it too high? I don't know, this is my first gun. Thus the query here for direction. I have noticed that if lift the cut-off lever only slightly, the angled piece of the trigger will catch the back of the trolley, but then slip off, thus the slight clicking noise you can hear in the video when I'm forcing the cut-off lever up with the selector plate.

I replaced the trigger assembly due to the original being cracked in a couple of places, and sitting loose in the gearbox. The different cut-off lever will be ordered later today, and installed after it arrives.

16. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    The cutoff lever, when up, allows full auto. When down, it releases the trolley from the trigger once the gun has cycled. If your cutoff lever isn't being caught by your selector, that is the issue. (it should be pulled to the UP position when the selector is in the full auto position).

17. Skragnon

Skragnon New Member

Just so that we are all clear.

The selector plate not working is clearly a cut-off lever issue, which will be corrected in the near future.

However, if I manipulate the cut-off lever manually to a raised position simulating a full auto selection, the gun does not fire, period. It doesn't cycle, no *clack-a-clack-a", no puff of air out the nozzle, no power to the motor, nothing.

18. Skragnon

Skragnon New Member

I replaced the cut-off lever, and with some dremel work to the new piece, was able to get it to move when the selector plate is moved. Huzzah!

Progress! Sort of.

As I mentioned previously, with the cut-off lever in the up position the trigger and trigger trolley do not make contact. Therefore the gun doesn't operate.

Part A, does not make contact with Part B.
    [​IMG]
    (images stolen from Evike and Clandestine)

I purchased an AK trigger set to see if the pieces were different, on the offhand chance that Part A in the G36 was smaller. Maybe that it had been modified. They are the same size. I looked at using the new piece, however the gap that Part A connects to the trigger is wider and I would have to replace both pieces. As there doesn't appear to be any difference between the two, I chose not to do so, considering the shorter length of the trigger itself.

So now I sit with a gun that still only fires in semi-auto, and no clue on where to start looking to correct it. I believe the diagnosis is sound, does anyone have something else I should look at?

19. Skragnon

Skragnon New Member

Bumping to the front page.