Not New, yet Not Experienced Either. Maryland Airsofter

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by arsonick, Jul 18, 2015.

1. arsonick

arsonick New Member

Laurel
    I'm 20 years old, just coming back to the game from a break. My loadout is normally an M4 type rifle (previously I had a 416 and a M4 style DMR) and a CO2 pistol (normally 1911s). However, I ended up having to get rid of my weapons, but I still have most of my gear. Now I'm starting over, however this time with knowledge, extra mags, and a scope. I like to play tactical games, not games where you go around a corner in a 20 ft sq room with plyboard walls. Not to say I don't like cqb, but I prefer a mid size AO. It's just not cool to go back to respawn after 30 seconds of play.

2. BlackNightBravo

BlackNightBravo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome! Good to see guys getting back into it. So what are your plans for kit and guns?

3. arsonick

arsonick New Member

Laurel
    I plan to save up and get a nice M4/M16 style rifle, or possibly a SCAR. Something that uses the same style magazine in any case. For my sidearm I was thinking of getting another Elite Force 1911 Tactical, because that was amazing when I had it, plus I still have 3 mags for it. In terms of gear, I'm thinking a MOLLE plate carrier with a custom setup. I would also find a helmet and goggle setup, not sure about brand or model yet. The one thing I have no idea about is comms

4. BlackNightBravo

Well I can't help you too much on the aspect of gear as I'll get yelled at by Knief if I mess something up. :p (He's our gear mod) All I'm gonna say is never, EVER, buy Lancer Tactical or Condor. And never skimp out on eyewear or boots. You want good boots, and you only get one set of eyes.

However, I'm a tech guy so can help with the guns. First off, what's your budget?

5. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    Welcome back to the sport.

OLTA/PAP is a good field to play at. Cost is $15 for a day of play.

PBSL is another good location with more fields. It is $10, but if you want air for HPA you need to pay another $5.

OXCC is a nice location, but I only go there when they host regional events.

SOG operates a private field that is opened to the public now and then.

Replay Airsoft and Tactical Airsoft Arena are both CQC arenas, so you probably won't be as interested in them.

There are several other smaller fields in MD, but I cannot remember them off the top of my head.

East Coast Airsoft is a nice MD airsoft store. I've been there a couple times, and they have a decent selection.

Buy good boots and eye pro. Everything else is secondary to those items.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  6. arsonick

arsonick New Member

Laurel
    I would say that my budget for my primary would be less than 400$, and 150$ for my secondary.
    One rifle I found to be in my liking and in my price range was the BOLT B4 SR16 URX, however with only one review, I'm kind of iffy: http://www.evike.com/products/51531/

7. airsoftmaniacman

Baltimore
    If you like the KAC SR15/SR16 look, consider the VFC line, which has many rifles that utilize those types of rail systems. The newest VFC VR16s also have GATE mosfets, which make them almost as good OOTB as Krytac (minus the radiusing and sorbo/AOE). They run in the $300-500 range.

8. BlackNightBravo

Well you have numerous options. Are you willing to open up a gearbox and do some work? In the end, building or modifying a GB will ye old far better results.

9. arsonick

arsonick New Member

Laurel
    I wouldn't mind learning how to mess with the internals if I have someone to teach me, rather than just having videos and how-to-do-its online. Which VFC models have the GATE mosfet?

10. BlackNightBravo

I'm unsure about the VFC's. It should be in the product descriptions...

There's more than enough information on the web in videos, forums, etc. to get you started with basic teching knowledge. If you'd like, I can walk you through it on Skype or whatever. Just PM me. But yeah, there are a few things on a VFC (or any gun for that matter) which you can easily replace or modify for better performance.

If you are willing to open a gearbox, I would say go ahead and buy just about any gun you like the look of. VFC and G&P have pretty nice externals. Me, I would stay away from brands which have proprietary parts. (all M4's should be essentailly TM spec - KWA being the exception)

11. airsoftmaniacman

Baltimore
    None of the current VFC VR16s in the US have the FETs installed. Only the VR16s available from overseas have the FETs at the moment. Last year, VFC released their "improved tappet plate and piston" models which are what most US retailers have in stock. VFC just released their "improved tappet plate, piston, and MOSFET" models within the past couple months, so only Asian stores have them at the moment.