Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nozzle measures at 20.96mm which means a standard M4 is too long (21.4mm). I have a Lonex cylinder head and I found several "21mm" nozzles from Lonex that I think could be compatible and I can't see any differences between them. I'd order a direct replacement, but they've been sold out everywhere I have found for several months.

Do you know if nozzles are compatible between an M4 style cylinder head and the different gun models listed below?

The MC51 mentions V2 gearbox when I looked it up and some dude on reddit mentioned the G3-A3 uses V2 compatible parts six years ago. I think the first link is compatible, but I've only been at this for a month...it started with a spring change...

It looks like the nozzle is just supposed to push the BB's in and seal on the rubber lips of the hop rubber. Are there other dimensions I need to be concerned about?

Lonex POM G3-A3 / A4 / SG-1 / MC51 Air Nozzle

Lonex POM LMG Air Nozzle

Lonex POM PSG-1 Air Nozzle

It's for an ICS CXP MARS.II, but I assume this is not a popular gun so didn't get an answer.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I imagine yours is a 21mm, the 0.04mm difference being due to manufacturing. Maxx makes a variable length nozzle if you want to get an exact match:

For nozzles, the shape of the tip and length are important - both can effect the air seal.

As to nozzles fitting cylinder heads in different guns, need to verify that the nozzle 'support tube' on the cylinder head is the same size. AFAIK AEGs all use the same *diameter support but there may be some oddballs out there?

·
Registered
994 Posts
There are some oddball CH tube lengths out there. The PTS Masada (not A&K) has a very long tube, the G36 has long and short versions and the AUG has a longer than "normal" tube as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I imagine yours is a 21mm, the 0.04mm difference being due to manufacturing. Maxx makes a variable length nozzle if you want to get an exact match:

For nozzles, the shape of the tip and length are important - both can effect the air seal.

As to nozzles fitting cylinder heads in different guns, need to verify that the nozzle 'support tube' on the cylinder head is the same size. AFAIK AEGs all use the same *diameter support but there may be some oddballs out there?
I really like the design of the Maxx, but I'm saving my pennies so I can lose them to inflation and don't want to risk another nozzle that feels tight so I'd like to stick with lonex nozzles for the lonex cylinder head. So far I'm learning it's really easy to go down a nickel and dime rabbit hole in this game! Thanks for the reply!

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
Here is a HIGHLY over simplified image of Airsoft Nozzles.

Violet Audio equipment Electric blue Electronic device Cylinder

Most have round collars. Item on left.

Cylinder Rectangle Magenta Composite material Metal

A very small minority has the 1/2 squared collar, found in G36 and some KWA AEG's - right item.

You can always make a long nozzle work by filing down to fit (that's what we did 19 years ago) in a pinch. Nozzle geometry is not a "simple" factor. Some have crosses, some have dots...some are tapered, some are flat. This affect seating of the bb.

Gesture Rectangle Sleeve Font Electric blue

The thing you don't "need" in a nozzle is the internal o-ring. Being that you are an engineer you know that from Fluid Dynamics that air flow moves in the direction of least resistance. And since the "action" happens so quickly and the AEG isn't a closed system. The area between the nozzle and the cylinder head air tube does not need to be sealed. The top makers know this...Tokyo Marui (Japanese) , Krytac (old Airsofter from the 1990s), KWA (same guy that went to Krytac)...etc. And randomly throwing on an "o-ring" nozzle onto another makers cylinder head may cause "drag" issues...that retards motion.

When o-ring nozzles came out it was for alignment issues with China made parts (from one factory) that were extremely loose in tolerances. Internal gaps in some early AEG's from China had a .8mm gap between nozzle and Air tube...with mis-sized air tubes and sloppy molding for the tappet...you get the picture. They fixed the issue with a nozzle o-ring. The Chinese recycle versus throwing away...and then some one get a a hold of the ill fitting part and clones it...the tolerance get worse. Then couple it with the wrong Airsoft mentality and the info get really polluted and that is where we are at in the Airsoft Industry which has no standards....

And as you can see...it gets complicated.

Font Number

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a HIGHLY over simplified image of Airsoft Nozzles.

View attachment 279878
Most have round collars. Item on left.

View attachment 279879

A very small minority has the 1/2 squared collar, found in G36 and some KWA AEG's - right item.

You can always make a long nozzle work by filing down to fit (that's what we did 19 years ago) in a pinch. Nozzle geometry is not a "simple" factor. Some have crosses, some have dots...some are tapered, some are flat. This affect seating of the bb.

View attachment 279880

The thing you don't "need" in a nozzle is the internal o-ring. Being that you are an engineer you know that from Fluid Dynamics that air flow moves in the direction of least resistance. And since the "action" happens so quickly and the AEG isn't a closed system. The area between the nozzle and the cylinder head air tube does not need to be sealed. The top makers know this...Tokyo Marui (Japanese) , Krytac (old Airsofter from the 1990s), KWA (same guy that went to Krytac)...etc. And randomly throwing on an "o-ring" nozzle onto another makers cylinder head may cause "drag" issues...that retards motion.

When o-ring nozzles came out it was for alignment issues with China made parts (from one factory) that were extremely loose in tolerances. Internal gaps in some early AEG's from China had a .8mm gap between nozzle and Air tube...with mis-sized air tubes and sloppy molding for the tappet...you get the picture. They fixed the issue with a nozzle o-ring. The Chinese recycle versus throwing away...and then some one get a a hold of the ill fitting part and clones it...the tolerance get worse. Then couple it with the wrong Airsoft mentality and the info get really polluted and that is where we are at in the Airsoft Industry which has no standards....

And as you can see...it gets complicated.

View attachment 279881
I appreciate the history. It's much worse than I thought! I had theorized that most guns were designed to fit the gearbox into the dimensions, then the nozzle lengths compensated for the variations and then only some suppliers give us the dimensions.

I hadn't formed have any assumptions about the seal of the nozzle yet other than thinking that consistent leaks can still be accurate. You may recall I was curious why there was typically a single o-ring which seemed to be unstable.

My stock nozzle has a partial cross. I thought it might be for some sort of Venturi effect. However, I think it is concave, which seems to indicate it's basically done for no reason (thoughtless copy of another design?) because a round hole would do the same job with less machining. I'll have to take a look and ponder.

Do the packings (hop rubbers) have as much variation from gun to gun? I noticed that my stock packing has longer feed lips than the maple leaf Macron. The BB's need a little force to get through, whereas they just fall through the Macron.

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
Yep...no standards what so ever.

The opening vary by maker...back in the day I calipered a Prometheus Purple, a Guarder Clear and a Stock TM packing.

The variance between the 3 was .44mm from largest to smallest. TM being zero. Prom. Was .29 smaller and Guarder was .15 larger in the opening.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’ve had nozzles fit very differently on different cylinder heads, implying that there are indeed diameter differences. No caliper results to prove it, just my personal experience when testing for wiggly nozzles. I hate o ring nozzles now. They’re basically always wiggly.

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
Not just manufacturers....end users. It has an o-ring so it "must" be for compression...is their logic. \

Some factory way back 12 years ago were so out of spec. It was easy to fit an oring as a spacer for alignment than to remake the nozzle for the project.

In person I then ask well what are o-rings on the "outside" of an AEG barrel for? Compression...then they go...uh...yeah...uh..no. I then tell them...alignment.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I’ve had nozzles fit very differently on different cylinder heads, implying that there are indeed diameter differences.
Some data, CH support tube outer diameters:

V1h (Cybergun)
CG 5.38mm

V2
MAXX 5.38mm
SHS 5.33mm
KA 5.34mm
G&G 5.35mm
CYMA 5.32mm
JG 5.37mm
??? (solid brass, old) 5.27mm

V2 'Bore Up'