O Ring

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Drift.099, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Drift.099

Drift.099 Member

Livorno
    I have recently upgraded my stock polycarbonate piston head with a SHS ergal silenced head, but I have noticed that the o ring the new head comes with is VERY loose. Is it for air seal purposes?
    I also noticed that it prevents the piston from falling out of the cylinder when turned vertically. After a few shots with the new head installed one of the teeth of the polycarbonate piston was quite worn down. What is the reason?

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Not falling out shows it has a good seal...it should not be loose. O-ring should be loose, it's not working right if it isn't.

Wrong engagement angle if you are seeing piston teeth damage.

You installed a Silence Piston Head Cylinder too, right? If not...you are messing you your AEG, especially the new piston.

A tapered head requires a tapered cylinder head.
    [​IMG]

Can you see the issue with using a stock piston head?

[​IMG]

3. Drift.099

Drift.099 Member

Livorno
    Ye
    Yes I installed a silenced cylinder head too. I'll try swapping to the previous piston head to see what happens. Thanks :)

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    You don't need to power the AEG to check working specs. You can leave the AEG opne and manipulate the gears to pick up the piston. From there you may need to shim the head or in rare cases trim material.

Which AEG are you modifying?

5. Drift.099

Drift.099 Member

Livorno
    I'm working on a ICS CXP-08 sportline.
    Do you think that using a full metal piston is a good idea with (almost) completely stock internals? The only things that I upgraded are cylinder and piston head, both made of ergal

6. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Absolutely a terrible idea. Aluminum pistons came in the early 2000's and went for a reason...it was horrible. Soft metal rubbing on a hard alloy - bad. Steel grinding on aluminum also bad.

Sadly...we are repeating history now because the marketers "lack" experience.

"We are doomed to make the same mistakes of the past when we forget our history..."

There was really no reason to make the change you did...in your case it's a downgrade, because it's not working right. Back 18 years ago...when silent piston heads came out (Made by SystemA) it was a hard piston head slapping on a thinly padded cylinder head. So they made a padded version...since there...no one other than part cloners make these parts. And no one puts them into AEG's as a stock part either.

You will now have to troubleshoot and tune it to get it back to stock operational levels if you chose to continue to use this piston head.

7. Drift.099

Drift.099 Member

Livorno
    So what's your suggestion?
    Should I go back to completely stock internals and just check AoE and shimming?

8. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Polymer pistons are good. POM is better than PC. Some Nylon Reinforced fiber is good...some not good. You will have to ask that question when you have a need.

In all honesty...you should only replace parts that break and then find a good "upgrade" path based on your play style.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  9. Drift.099

Drift.099 Member

Livorno
    Ok. Thank you for your time :)

Noob Tech likes this.