Oakley M Frame Budget Alternative

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Munishin, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Munishin

Munishin Well-Known Member

Goodyear
    Just wanted to make a thread showcasing the TMC Replica M-Frame 2.0's are capable of taking Oakely M-Frame Strike Lens's. I was not sure how many were already aware of this. Figured I could spread the news as this is a great way of saving money on the real deal if you're too poor like me.

TMC's: http://www.ebairsoft.com/frame-strike-ansi-z803-eyewear-p-7448.html

Replacement Lens: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/oakley-si-m-frame-lens

Helo Kit: http://www.skdtac.com/Oakley-SI-M-Frame-Helo-p/oak.090.htm

Total Before Shipping:
    $80

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stonearmdog

Stonearmdog Member Supporting Member

Sevierville
    Thanks for sharing. Gonna try that out when I get the money.

3. habs19

habs19 Member

Edmonton
    Sweet, might have to grab a pair of these.

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Any idea how well those frames will stand up to be impacts? An Oakley lens isn't any good if it's blown off on the ground.

5. Munishin

Goodyear
    Based on first impressions they seem solid enough. Granted they're obviously of a cheaper plastic and mold than actual Oakley's, but I don't see them having any problems holding up in a game. I'll test them out as soon as my Marui arrives and give a detailed update report.

6. Southpaw19

Southpaw19 Active Member

My thoughts exactly Knief, was just having trouble finding a way to word it.

While this may be a great idea, will it really be enough to properly protect you? Like Knief says great that you have an Oakley lens, we know those are safe, but what's the point if your frame can't take a BB impact. If this was a pouch of helmet strap or something sure it might not be as important, but these are your eyes we are talking about here, you only get two, and you can't replace them.

TMC is known for poor quality overall. Poor materials, poor construction, poor quality control, and cutting corners in order to save costs. For only $15 for an entire M-Frame knock off including lenses, I would not expect anything even close to decent from them. I wouldn't trust it to take a BB hit, and I wouldn't trust it to hold my lenses or Helo Kit in properly. If the little knob on real Oakley's the holds the top of the lenses in is prone to snapping off if you are not careful then I can't imagine the TMC's being very strong at all.

Also, when all is said and done you are stepping pretty close to the price range of real Oakleys.. I remember when I bought my M-Frame 2.0's I found a pair, with two lenses and a hard case, for only $105 shipped off of eBay, brand new in the box. I would much rather pay the extra $25 to know that I am getting a tried and tested, safe product that I can rely on.

Lastly, M-Frames with Helo Kits in airsoft are a fashion statement more than anything. In my experience they don't work too well at all if they properly fit your face. The Helo Kit is designed to make a complete seal preventing any air from getting in, which also prevents it from getting out as well. This can lead to very bad fogging very quickly as there is zero ventilation happening. It sucks so bad that recently I haven't even bothered with them and have just gone with my Revision Desert Locusts instead when I play. If you already own a good set of goggles that you don't find fog up badly on you, then don't bother with M-Frames as they don't offer much of a benefit over them.

7. Munishin

Goodyear
    I fully understand the concern with this especially considering these are TMC. As aforementioned they're not a brand known for their quality and I'm well aware of that. However, I went ahead and invested in this anyways as all previous reports I've both read and watched claim to have held up over months at a time. On the stock lens as well on top of that before the user replaced them with a real Oakley lens. Now I'm also aware that is just hear-say. So I'll be making a video over viewing these as in depth as possible. Right now I can tell you the Helo Kit straps in and stays on just fine. 0 wobble, fully seals, and doesn't loosen up or fall off. Again I'll be testing them out on video as soon as possible and assuming they hold up I personally have no problem taking this out to a skirmish.

8. Munishin

Goodyear
    Overdue bump. Went out and played today from 9-5 and these held up fine. No shifting, rattling, you name it. I still plan on doing the test video. In fact I did do it a few months back, but I didn't like how it turned out. Expect a more in depth post sometime this week.

9. Stonearmdog

Sevierville
    How was the fogging?

10. Munishin

Goodyear
    Non-existent outside of due to it raining on and off today. Keep in mind I wasn't running face pro of any kind. Took so many shots to the face today....<pause>

11. Stonearmdog

Sevierville
    Good. I got a nasty shot to the upper lip once. Very nasty, it looked like I had a bad zit which didnt make it any better

12. Munishin

Goodyear
    The problem is when would you find yourself in a situation where you're on the receiving end of high FPS high continued automatic fire? All to the same spot and from a close enough proximity to actually cause that. Unless you're playing Guerilla/Pain style games I don't see that happening.

13. Knief

Ann Arbor
    I've seen someone blind fire around a corner and land a handful a round into someone's face. It's not a matter of how often it happens, it only has to happen once to change someone's world. I work in a business where one mistake on our end is life changing for someone else and an expression that's become a popular way for us to express that when someone says that we don't make mistakes often is, "how many times is it okay to drop a baby?"

14. Munishin

Goodyear
    Fair point, but tbh I don't see the actual frame shattering. Unless it's quite literally, point blank, barrel on the frame, at so high an FPS most fields don't even allow. They're not some hollow plastic flimsy material. In fact they're quite rigid. Again I didn't have any problems with them yesterday, but I'll save that for test video. Although it should be noted my gun only shoots 300fps because TM.

15. Knief

Ann Arbor
    I know you won't like this answer, but do you think it's even worth doing a video if your gun shoots slower than 75% of guns on the market and slower than most CQB limits and a whole slew of very short MEDs? It's hardly a test if I can walk into any CQB field in the country and catch a round at 50FPS faster at near point blank range. I don't care if they can stand up to the slowest gun on the field, I care if it stands up to the fastest.

Just to be clear, I'm not dogging your gun. I have and love a TM M733 that spits out like, 275 FPS. I just wouldn't use it for ballistic testing.

16. Munishin

Goodyear
    Also another fair point and I don't see it as a knock at TM. I guess I could wait for an opportune time to test it with someone else's gun that shoots way hotter. Anyway's I'll just leave the thread with the aforementioned info for now.

17. habs19

habs19 Member

Edmonton
    I've got some stuff I plan on ordering from ShooterCBGear in the near future, so I'll throw in a pair of those glasses and I can see how they hold up to some point blank shots.

18. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    Just make sure that ESS glasses' lenses are ballistic. Full seal won't matter if a BB punches right through one of the lenses.