OD or Tan Loadout?

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by HunterD, Oct 13, 2012.

1. HunterD

HunterD Member

Cumberland
    Need opinions. Looking to by a new chest rig or plate carrier soon and trying to decide to go with tan or OD. Trying to figure out which works best with OD based uniforms and tan based uniforms.

2. glenlovesm4

glenlovesm4 New Member

Knoxville
    We need to know what environment you play in to find the most effective color.

3. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    Purely looks-based go with a tan plate carrier. Purely effectiveness-based go with a tan plate carrier. Purely awesome-based go with a tan plate carrier.

4. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    In most environments tan is more widely effective. And work well with a lot more camouflages patterns than OD does. Go with tan and more specifically Coyote Tan/Brown.

5. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    Khaki also works quite well.

6. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

In all reality it truly depends what environment you play in. Thick, mountainous areas with lots of pine type trees, go with OD. If its a more dense area with all manner of varying vegetation, maybe multicam or woodland. If you live in an area where there's lots of dirt then I'd say tan is a great way to go. And as much as I think ACU is hideous it really is an effective camo for rocky areas. The way I decided was to look at images of troops in the field actually using the camo as it should be. My environment beat supports multicam and woodland. So I went with multicam since it was the most universal to my surroundings.

7. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    He is not asking what color BDUs to use and it is not a good idea to buy a vest with a pattern with it because it will only work well in that one environment and match set of BDUs.

8. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

I would again ask what environment he plays in then. Very rarely are camos specific only to one area. I would then also ask if he's going to be traveling around the world to play Airsoft. My guess is no since he's considering just one vest. And your statement about a vest with camo limiting you to one pattern bdu is false as well. I could wear od green, khaki, tan, and coyote with my multicam vest. So like I said, the camo pattern you get for your VEST is best chosen by considering your surroundings.

9. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    It was not false I said a vest with a pattern like UCP would only work with UCP ACUs and not multicam ACUs but a solid color vest likekhaki or tan would work well with both. I was saying not to get a vest what has any pattern of camouflage because it will only work well and look good with its matching pattern.

10. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

I can't say that I don't agree that it wouldn't look very good. And would be less effective. But I still maintain that they are somewhat interchangeable. I guess I would also say that I agree with where you're coming from if you're going to be switching BDU's. if you're going to get one type of bdu though and stick with it (like myself) then a camo pattern is best. So yes a patternless vest is best for ultimate university with BDU's. I would still advise someone to know where they'll be be playing and get what they need to best suit their environment. Be it one solid color, or a pattern. I'd also say that MOSTLY a person should get what they think looks the coolest! :)

11. GreenBerets

GreenBerets New Member

Tan would probably be your best option. If you think of all the camouflages, tan goes with about 95% of them. OD goes with maybe 10%

12. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    T0K3N,

He might not play in an area where having only one pattern is viable. For instance, here in Michigan, teams are often separated into tan based camo vs. green based camo. If you only own one pattern, you're always stuck on one team, even if you'd rather play on the other. So, pretty much everybody owns a minimum of two sets of camo--one green based and one tan based. Most own three or more. It's only practical. As such, we recommend that new players get a solid vest so that it will work well and look good with the two different camo patterns they're almost garunteed to buy.

For this question, o with either CB or Khaki. I prefer Khaki pretty much all the time.

13. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

Well in that case I stand my ground. It depends where you're from. I chose my camo based on what best suited my environment. Not based on what looks the best. Granted, that's mostly what Airsoft is about.

14. Knief

Ann Arbor
    I think you missed the point. Having one pattern that "works best" isn't practical. You can't have just one and you can't have two similar patterns. You need a tan and a green. To match gear with both sets, assuming you don't want or can't afford two full kits, you need a solid color. Thems the facts, chief.

15. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

No I agree with you. And I previously said that one solid color would be better for multiple uses in that scenario. The point I think is being is that generally, an area that can be traveled to in a matter of hours is going to be the same as the area you're currently in. So you can choose a color that best suits your needs universally for your surrounding area. I'm unclear as to how I'm not making that point blatant. It doesn't matter if its tan, green, or even yellow! Whatever your surrounding environment calls for is what I personally think is best. In all reality I can't see how tan or khaki would match any terrain except dessert. But I didn't say tan was wrong. Just that he needs to look around himself and decide what color he can see the most. As far as being put on a team based on camo color, if say choose what you like the most.

16. Knief

Ann Arbor
    I don't know how to put it gently, but you're wrong about tan in the woods. As it turns out, there's a hell of a lot more tan and brown in the woods than a lot of airsoft players realize. Like, a lot more. It's just a much more subdued color than green, so it stands out less to your eye. Coincidentally, that's what makes it a much better color to wear in the woods than green.

Because I like evidence, here's a bunch of Marines wearing tan in places that aren't the desert.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As to your other point, the reason you're getting backlash against it isn't because we don't understand you. We hear you, wear the stuff that works best for wear you play. The problem is, that advice might be a little short sighted (it might also be too open to your own errant judgement, as evidenced by your own "tan doesn't work in the woods" thing). You might have to or want to be on a team that doesn't use the camo you own. You might have multiple fields in the area with different environments (happens here in Michigan all the time), getting gear in the pattern to match your ideal cammies might be too expensive or too hard to find, or you might just like wearing different patterns on different days of the week. There are reasons why your universal answer isn't very universal, and many of us here are interested in not giving incomplete advice. So while the catch-all "wear what blends in" isn't bad advice, it's also very very incomplete, and completely ignores that buying gear is expensive while buying camo is cheap, and that having a versatile gear color (like tan) is handy for somebody who's only going to sink money into one good set of gear.

17. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

Well, I have to give it to ya! I respect your ability to present OLD evidence. Or even invalid. I wasn't at all giving incomplete advice. As a matter of fact I was expressing what I personally knew to be true. I live In Colorado (roughly translates to "colored state") obviously I know all about plains, dunes, THICK mountains, and swamps or whatever other environment one can imagine. As a matter of fact, we even have areas where the landscaping is a very vibrant red. Marines aren't special forces and are therefore, not given different color BDU's to match their environment if they're only going to be there for a short while. Look at the U.S. Navy SEALs and see how often their camo changes to best suit the environment. Moreover, notice how the camo you most often see is woodland. Why is it that the most dangerous men in the world don't mostly wear tan? Because it ISN'T the best. I'm going to stand beside saying that his best bet is what he likes the most. But tan is most certainly not the most universal. Aesthetically it might be. Or maybe everyone loves tan because its what they see the most of in our military currently. The woods don't possess a whole lot of tan though. On a cloudy day for instance, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. The only time I can imagine tan being useful in the woods or any form of vegetation for that matter is on a sunny morning. Where the sun creates a similar color. It's not that everybody thinks I'm wrong that is my rub, but that I really feel like this thread has gone from a place for this kid to get answers to a place where we all have a pissing match and call eachothers advice "incomplete". I hope you read the entire thread before writing that bandwagoneer response. Hardly anybody uses tan in the military anymore. In all reality there are a NUMBER of vests, rigs, and carriers (both molle and pre rigged) to choose from. From any number of prices! You don't have to have 50 different loadout patterns. You can easily identify just ONE for your surroundings that will work wonders! No matter the color that is chosen. So to retract all the way back to one of my previous statements: IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR SURROUNDINGS!

18. Knief

Ann Arbor
    As soon as we all have the budget of Navy SEALs, I'll agree with you. Instead, many of us are in a far more similar situation to the Marines (by the way, some of those pictures are MFR, who do have more flexibility in their kits), where we can get a couple different patterns (you know, Woodland MARPAT and Desert MARPAT) but only one set of gear. The Marines went with Coyote Brown because it works well in most environments, including places where they would wear Woodland MARPAT, i.e. the woods.

That said, that's not the point I was making in posting those pictures. I thought about grabbing shots from airsoft games that I've taken, but I thought some real world usage might be more effective (I realize now that things like evidence and reason aren't going to be very effective). My point in posting those was to show tan gear blending in in non-desert environments. It doesn't matter who's wearing it, what matters is how it blends. I'd say it blends pretty well.

You can keep ranting, but you're saying the same thing over and over and it's bad advice for most new players who need to ask this question.

19. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    He is saying if you are on a budget it is better to buy gear that can work with other camouflages instead of one a set for every environment you play in. I that was the case I'd have to have gear for woodland, my quarry, urban, and snow which would cost me thousands of dollars to get quality gear. By the way what color would you say tree trunks and dead vegetation is? Because in my eyes they same to color dark tan and brown, but that just might be me.

20. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

Have y'all never seen multicam? Or woodland or ACU? Those are all camouflages with multiple uses. And bad evidence won't work here as the trainees with tan helmets stuck out like a sore thumb. Coyote and tan are different colors gents. Tan is TAN! Coyote is an OD/tan mix that IS designed for a more universal purpose! Check your facts guys. Tan sucks! I can agree with coyote in nearly every instance! But by no means would I say tan. If y'all think about what's available in the tactical world you'll come to realize that the point of camo is to obviously blend in. But there are also things such as shemaghs, gaiters, gun wraps, etc. that are to change shape and colors of what the enemy is looking for. If I was in the woods and my enemy was wearing tan I'd be a very happy dude! And I wasn't saying that anybody has the budget of the SEALs. I was merely making the point that woodland is (according to the men that ACTUALLY know what they're talking about) the most universally effective camouflage pattern as its got green, brown (the color of your tree trunks) , and black. And as for the winter? Please show me a picture of a soldier wearing tan in the snow that you can't hardly see him! Snow is a different camo ENTIRELY! It's even a rarely seen camo! Y'all are fighting me because I disagree with tan. Well that's quite alright. Personally I think it is YOUR advice that is incomplete. I listed all the effective colors AND their general uses. Y'all are just telling the dude to wear tan cause that's what you wear?? I'd say everyone should do themselves a favor and get multicam! It's great for urban, woods, desert, jungle, whatever you can imagine. I'd even rock my MC in the winter! So y'all go ahead and wear your tan, I'll wear whatever I choose, and hopefully there was enough knowledge in this retarded thread for the guy who started it to make an educated decision.