**Official** Boy and Girl Scouting Thread!!

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by MikeyBugs95, Nov 30, 2012.

1. MikeyBugs95

MikeyBugs95 Member

New York
    I was looking through the forum for a thread for scouting. Not recon scouting... Boy and Girl Scouting! So i made this thread for anything and everything scouting. If your a scout... come in and discuss scouting for you and your troop. If you'd like to join, come in... ask... discover!

Guys/girls... please dont argue in this thread... its for discussion of scouting and the activities therein. If you start arguing... please keep it civil. Dont get out of hand.

I guess I might as well start off... Im Michael Goldberg from Boy Scout Troop 601 in Farmingdale, New York. Im a Life Scout currently working on the last phases of my Eagle Project. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. CallsignPyro

CallsignPyro New Member

I am Nathan Johnson from Troop 428 in Lenexa,KS and I am also a life scout working on my eagle project.

3. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I think there is a boy scout thread, but it admit been used in ages.

I got my eagle last summer, currently am assistant scoutmaster and merit badge counselor here in Texas.

4. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    Oh boy did I get the wrong idea from the thread title... AS dating site anyone, lol.

On topic though, I tried out the whole Boy Scout thing, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Then again I never really gave it a chance.

Out of curiosity, what do you do after your older and still in Boy/Girl scouts?

5. bob19922

bob19922 New Member

Old bridge
    The older you the more you put in to it the more fun and the better you get out of it. Also i'm star almost life scout of troop 129 old bridge new jersey. were a decent sized troop. But we have only gone on one trip this year:( stupid hurricane sandy made us cancel our hiking trip.

6. Lil_Shady

Define older and still in scouts? I'm 19, so I'm no longer a boy scout but instead of just leaving I stayed on as an adult leader.

7. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    I guess I'm talking more about the max age in the Scouts. But as a leader are you responsible for the kids in your group or something?

8. MikeyBugs95

MikeyBugs95 Member

New York
    Nice and that sucks... why dont you suggest rescheduling the hiking trip?

Thats usually the idea of being a scout master- leader. But the Max age of boy scouts for a scout is 18. Once your 18.. your out unless you become a leader.

9. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

I am a Life scout right now. All I need is a few badges and to to do my project to get eagle. I have plenty of time since I am only 14. Right now my troop is selling Christmas trees as a fundraiser.

Edit: Has anyone been to Sea Base, because my troop is planning on going there?

10. bob19922

bob19922 New Member

Old bridge
    We go on like two hiking trips a year so we just cancelled that one and the AT was destroyed by the storm a lot of the trees fell therefore making the trail a lot harder to navigate being that the trail blazers went down with the trees.

11. MikeyBugs95

MikeyBugs95 Member

New York
    Nice. what are you thinking about doing for your project? Theres a kid in my troop whos i think 13 and hes a Life scout. Hes only been in the troop for about 2 or 3 years i think.

12. MikeyBugs95

MikeyBugs95 Member

New York
    Ohhh... Ok... Yeah that would make it harder to hike.

Sorry for double posting. I forgot i already posted.

13. Duke

Duke New Member

I'm 17 and an Eagle Scout, Philmont veteran and cold weather camping lover. I base out of troop 1525 here in NOVA, with about 60 kids in our troop. Philmont was literally the best part of my scouting career so far, if you have the opportunity go!!

14. THE_ELIMANATOR

THE_ELIMANATOR New Member

Hebron
    I'm stephen madden from troop 727 in burlington, ky and I'm star scout almost life.

Probaly my favorite thing that has happened in scouting is meeting some scouts from israel. I'm the one holding the map.

Attached Files:

15. Lil_Shady

I was going to go to Philmont this past summer, and was dieting to get down to Philmont weight. Our committee chair, a former Philmont Ranger decided that he didn't think I could get down to weight in time, and without talking to me or my parents about it first he refunded my parents the money and said I couldn't go. I was within 5 pounds of weight with 3 months till the trek. Needless to say, Philmont is a rather sore subject for me. But I'd love a chance to hit seabase.

I'm currently an Assistant Scoutmaster, and am Merit Badge counselor for Cooking, Fire Safety, and Fishing Merit badges, and am about to register to be rifle shooting, shotgun shooting, and archery merit badge counselor.

16. Duke

Duke New Member

Keep in mind you can always go back to work in the summers, and from what I have heard, they have a different set of reqs for the staffer.
    We had a guy on our trek who was literally exactly the max weight for his Height and he did fine. I think they need to overhaul the current system, as they don't account for the discrepancy between muscle weight and body fat.

I also teach rifle and shotgun! I won't be a full ASM Till I turn 18, so I'm a JASM for now.

17. MikeyBugs95

MikeyBugs95 Member

New York
    Philmont... wow... I wish my troop could go there but its too far for my troop to go...

18. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    I like there cookies! Does that count? I found boy scouts lame and it brags about what you could do but never do.

19. Duke

Duke New Member

Where are you from? It's literally across the country for us, if you get a group together I'm sure someone will be willing to help you look into it.

20. MikeyBugs95

MikeyBugs95 Member

New York
    New York. And frankly... not many other troops in Farmingdale like us.... but its pretty expensive to go to New Mexico

What??? "it brags about what you could do but never do."???