Official Cooking Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by Tenhoff, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    So I figured I would create a thread to discuss who cooks and what they cook, since I couldn't find one.

to start off, I like to cook beef jerky and I also like making new dishes

this was my fist batch of jerky about an hour into the dehydration process
    [​IMG]

this is a dish I made with philly steak and bacon.
    [​IMG]

This dish I came up with(the rehab burger :p) is kind of like a variation of a montey cristo. You fry up 1/8 lbs of bacon. Then you cook the philly steak with melted american(or pepper jack ) cheese with the bacon grease still in the pan(to give it a little more bacon flavor). Then you cook up two thick slices of french toast and slap it all together with a small amount of syrup. It's one big greasy heart attack on a bun but man is it good.

2. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood Active Member

I like food. :p but that first pic, not sure if meat or feces.

Anyway I made pesto for the first time yesterday.

Ingredients:
    Fresh Basil Leaves
    Crushed Nuts
    Olive Oil
    Salt
    Lemon Juice

Throw it in a blender and blend it all until you get the right sort of 'pesto' consistency.

[​IMG]

Make sure you don't do too much at a time if you're making a lot. And you'll want to be fairly generous with the olive oil otherwise you end up with a thick sort of jellylike paste, not nice.

A reasonable amount of salt is required but don't be excessive. You'll have to work that out for your quantities though. And just a little lemon juice otherwise it will end up tasting absolutely vile. You're primary ingredient here is the basil leaves, the nuts just add a bit of texture and flavour, they also improve the consistency.

[​IMG]

I also made a very simple yet very tasty potato bake.

This would feed 4-6, depending on how fat/hungry those people are and depending on how much other stuff you had on the side. I won't give numbers, apart from to try to convey the amounts for milk & stuff. Work it out!

Ingredients:
    Potatos
    Onions
    Grated Cheese (I use Mature Cheddar)
    Small Carton of Milk
    Salt
    Pepper

Not necessary but make it extra tasty:
    Small carton of Cream
    Garlic
    Ham or Bacon (OR BOTH! :D )

Firstly you want to slice the potatoes into 'sheets', like so:
    I prefer to take the skin off, but you can leave it on just fine. Make sure they're relatively thin slices, but not ridiculously thin. Probably about half the width of your pinky at most.

[​IMG]

Then you want to put a layer of them in a deep tray, about 2 slices deep is good. Kind of like this. There's no need to grease the tray, and make sure to use a tray or pan at least 2 inches deep:

[​IMG]

Sprinkle just a touch of salt across the potatoes. Be conservative here.
    Next you'll want to thinly chop up the onions, you need about a quarter as many onions as you do potatoes, if you're not an onion person use less.

[​IMG]

Sprinkle some of the onions over the potatoes in a thin ish layer. Don't completely cover the potatoes, just a light covering.

If you chose to use garlic, bacon or ham. You'll want to add that now too.

Cut the garlic into VERY fine pieces and sprinkle it across the potatoes & onions. Cut the ham and/or bacon into small pieces and put a layer of it on top of the potatoes & onions. Then you'll want to put a generous layer of your grated cheese.

On top of that you'll want to repeat the process. A thin layer of potatoes, thin dashing of onions & garlic, as well as your ham or bacon if you chose to use it. For vegetarians chopped mushrooms make a good substitute.

Now you want to poor your milk over the top. You don't want the potatoes swimming in milk. Just pour some over the top so most of the potatoes have had milk splash over them. Otherwise it will turn out watery. Do the same with your cream. You'll probably want a full tub assuming it's a glass ish sized normal people tub and not like a giant monster 'mrka sized one.

Once you've poured your milk and cream in you'll want to add another generous layer of grated cheese. Make sure you completely cover the potatoes. Throw on another sprinkle of salt and grind some pepper over the top.

Stick it all in the oven and let it cook for about an hour or so. This will vary depending on how much you made, how thick you made it etc. So again I won't be precise. Just make sure you try it once before cooking it for your parents in law or something. :p

Once it's cooked, voila. Epic tasty pasta cheese nom dish.

[​IMG]

3. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    You know my dad told me the same thing about the jerky picture too :eek: ...that potato bake looks amazing, do you think sour cream would go good with it? ... A good meal to make for breakfast is sausage gravy and biscuits. My mom makes it and I loved it so much that I learned to make it like she does. fry up some sausage in a pan then once the sausage is done pour some flour (about a 1/2 cup) on top and then add as much milk as you want in equal volume of gravy and set the stove to low heat and let it thicken to the consistency you like while adding salt and pepper. It's a simple and delicious dish.

4. UrGirlfriendz

UrGirlfriendz New Member

Bridgewater
    I'm going to try to post my stuffed crust pizza later, I have to see if I have any pictures. It didn't look great this first time, but it was the best pizza I ever had. But Tenhoff and Robin, those meals look amazing!

5. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    thanks. I look forward to seeing the stuff crust pizza, how did you make it?

6. UrGirlfriendz

UrGirlfriendz New Member

Bridgewater
    Just like any other pizza, but the crust is super special. You roll out mozzerlla cheese, put in some bacon bits, wrap that in pepperoni slices, and than form the crust around it. Heres a quick pic of it:

Attached Files:

7. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    sounds pretty good to me, mozzarella and bacon= amazing food.

8. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    I don't like cooking as much as I like to bake, but I've done a fair share of both.

I've worked in a italian restaurant, a bakery, and a meal hall type of place (elks lodge.) While some food was very very basic such as egg plant parm, hotdogs, french bread, other stuff was more complicated.

Working in the pizza parlor was fun because we made the dough from scratch, sauce from scratch, all the toppings except some of the meats were hand cut too. Was a very long process, but was fun.

Being a cook in a restaurant wasn't very fun and all most killed my joy for cooking. I look back though and was glad I became one though.

Ill stick with baking fresh breads for my family weekly.

9. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Guys, there is the food thread, so with little searching, I am sure you will realize that this one is a duplicate.

10. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood Active Member

After discussion: Unlocked & moved to members area.

11. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Detroit
    I cook a lot.

I'm doing smoked pork chop with roasted potatoes tonight.

I'll see if the wife won't take some pics. I'm going to be playing with fire and covered in food so I don't know how good my pics will come out.

12. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    I want to see Austin wearing the "Kiss the Cook" apron!

13. Shooter

Detroit
    My Daughter has a one. She makes me wear "mine" when we cook together.

I'll see if I can't get some pics. They are pretty embarrassing.

14. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    The more the better. Who would not want to see their boss (that does not even pay) embarassed?

15. StrayBullet

StrayBullet GAIN TIME Supporting Member

Goodfellow AFB
    Ahhhh!!! I knew I should have took pics of what I cooked for my folks last night. Home made hot wings. Did two types: Spicy Buffalo, and a Honey BBQ. Never made the HBBQ before, but it came out AMAZING and the wings just looked so pretty coated in it :)

16. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Ah, my chosen major lol. I do a lot of cooking. I'll post some pics sometime, but my specialties are Risotto, Creme Brulee, creme brulee cheesecake with a malibu coconut rum glaze, and teriyaki chicken with fried rice.

17. Shooter

Detroit
    Wait.. aren't you in charge?

I'm confused.

18. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime Active Member

Satellite Beach
    Well, I cook quite a bit. Besides Airsoft, LoL, and diving, it's probably my favorite pastime.

This weekend I cooked dinner for my dad's birthday. I essentially just winged it, going for a mild and heavily applied blanket sauce... I sauté'd some salmon with pepper, salt, OO, and butter (with a bit of lemon of course).

Then I put a bag of spinach in the pan with some butter frying garlic, and added alot of half & half and sour cream, with a pinch of nutmeg.

The end result was a heavy blanket of spinach and rich cream sauce, but not overwhelming the salmons flavour. The sauce, as it's mild and applied heavily, worked awesome with the biscuits cooked with it.

19. Chigger

Chigger New Member

Springfield
    To all those here posting about cooking, let me just say i'm glad people are enjoying it. I am a chef by trade and have been doing so for 10 years now. If anyone has questions about cooking, please feel free to ask. Attached are a few examples of my food.

Attached Files:

20. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

May I ask what the second to last picture is? Also, have you done any work with Molecular Gastronomy?