Official Grease Monkey Thread

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by sonsofthepatriots1, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Wingman703

Wingman703 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Atlanta
    Looks like you should have brought a rudder and oars instead. Our local chapter got rain delayed for 2-3 hours this morning from what I'm hearing, nasty bunch of storms that passed though.

2. BRTSoloWing

BRTSoloWing Well-Known Member

China Grove
    My region wont delay. Rain or shine they are racing lol.

3. BRTSoloWing

China Grove
    Here you go guys. This was my Fastest run Sunday.

4. smiles

smiles Active Member

fleetwood
    Listen to this one... had a guy last weekend that seriously thought his stock 6.0 vortec could tow/pull as much as my buddies bulletproofed and tuned 6.0 f450. Funny guy was all talk. We hooked his truck up to my buddies trailer and loaded as much weight on it as we could. On the scale the trailer weighed 37k. The 6.0 vortec struggled and the 6.0 pstroke moved it like nothing. It was funny how the guy stopped talking then.

brokenarrow likes this.
  5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Well-Known Member

Meadville
    My buddy has an old 7.3 Pstroke that absolutely obliterates my towing capabilities (then again anything diesel would as I only have a 5.3 in my chebby, also RIP 4L60E..) it outpulls his 6.0 and the 5.9 Cummins he had, I love that F350 more than he does

6. smiles

smiles Active Member

fleetwood
    Theres an old saying I hear alot of people say, "a 7.3 will pull just about anything as long as you dont wanna pull it fast"

brokenarrow likes this.
  7. brokenarrow

Meadville
    IMG_2471.jpg

Can’t tell me that’s not a nice truck tho! Rust free 97 with a 5 speed manual

8. Wingman703

Atlanta
    @BRTSoloWing It seems for whatever reason this year SCCA SOLO is cursed with insane amounts of rain. This is the third(out of 5) event for the ATL chapter that we had near monsoon amounts of rain come down, and looks like yall have had your fair share of wet stuff as well. My case in point:

E/ are my images showing up for y'all? They show as broken links for me and I can't edit them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. fred_ditto

fred_ditto Well-Known Member

Des Moines
    They're broken for me, as well.

10. BRTSoloWing

China Grove
    Showing broken for me also.

11. Wingman703

Atlanta
    Round 2? Embedding doesn't seem to be working and uploading is still acting weird...
    View attachment 161803 SCCA_Pts5_1694-(ZF-3264-95167-1-002).jpg

fred_ditto and brokenarrow like this.
  12. brokenarrow

Meadville
    Wingman703 likes this.
  13. brokenarrow

Meadville
    EBDC71D8-3816-4B86-BB78-284A1C94F466.jpg

Working on getting my truck (NiteFury) ready for summer cruisin, flares go on soon, removed the mudflaps for now (also removes the noise my tires made hitting said flaps...) some paint touch up, some red here and there, going to order wheel spacers when I get paid for the flares that didn’t fit

14. fred_ditto

fred_ditto Well-Known Member

Des Moines
    Just got this today. 20190705_163149.jpeg JPEG_20190705_133858.jpeg

15. Uller

Uller Well-Known Member

Topeka
    Both of mine.2003 335XI with 37K original miles,and my 2017 GTI.Damn near have the GTI paid off.Waiting until 2020 to see how much more power VW is going to put in the new Golf R IMG_20180602_144142288.jpeg

16. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Little bit of a necro. I'm not much of a car guy, don't really know much about working on them but my girlfriend does. Just so happens her grandmother has a 53 studebaker commander in the yard that needs quite a bit of work. Girlfriend and I might turn it into a project for us to work on together.

Wingman703 likes this.
  17. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    I’m going to start work on turning my 2007 Mini Cooper S R56 into a shitbox.
    It ate 6-7qts of oil over the last 1000 miles, rolled coal the entire time and made a really bad sound when I turned it over a few months ago, so my entire family has written this off as a junker and don’t care what I do with it.

Game plan is roughly as follows.
    First: pull the head off and do a full clean, valve lap, remove casting flash and a quick port&polish, all before the weekend is over.
    Second: replace the turbo cartridge to stop the leak, pull off the exhaust manifold for a clean and do a cabin noise maker delete (Mini’s have an extra hose that pipes pre-intercooler air through a noise maker and into the firewall), hopefully all of this is done before the weekend is over as well.
    Third: identify all maintenance items that need to be replaced (control arm bushings, gaskets, clamps&clips, etc).
    Forth: order all the air intake and exhaust parts.
    Fifth: suspension, rims and tires.

Battery is dead flat and doesn’t even start with a jump, so I’ll have it sit on the charger over night and maybe borrow my neighbors jumper battery in the morning to see if I can get it turning over under its own power.
    If it turns and doesn’t start I’ll check the fuel injectors line and spark plugs before I strip the head, if nothing goes I’ll go head first.

18. Wingman703

Atlanta
    Burning that much oil, I'd compression test it first to make sure you don't have a bad block. It would suck to dump money into the turbo/head just to find you need a new engine anyway.

Seriously, thats a LOT of oil, even by my standards.

richman992 likes this.
  19. Raven1st

San Ramon valley
    The battery is dead flat. It didn’t take any charge after sitting all night.
    I borrowed a jumper battery from a neighbor and that didn’t get a full crank out of it, but it was only charged halfway so I’ve had it charging all afternoon for another attempt this evening.
    I’ll borrow a compression tester once I get it to crank over.

This is the intake side of the turbo.
    IMG_2620.jpg

Intake port of the block.
    IMG_2624.jpg

The cleanest valve.
    IMG_2627.jpg

I found a light coating of oil in the PCV hose through to the intake manifold, so there might have been some excessive blow-by.

Edit:
    Engine cranks over after the jumper pack was fully charged.

The plan is now to get a compression gauge on Friday and slim spark plug socket since the head has no clearance for a normal socket.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  20. Raven1st

San Ramon valley
    Didn’t get the Mini to start before I dipped out of WA.

The compression gauge I rented from the parts store didn’t have a fitting that fit the skinny euro spark plug threads, however, I have narrowed it down to either a bad timing chain or bad fuel.
    Everything else (plugs, valves, injectors, etc) works as it should and if any of those things had anything wrong it would be extremely rare that all 4 would fail at the same time just because it was sitting for 3 months.

My dad is going to siphon the gas out and see if he can get some the new gas through the system, hopefully he licks out and it starts.