Official Outdoors Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by Tenhoff, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    I thought I would make a thread to discuss outdoor hobbies that we do beside airsoft like hiking, backpacking, letter-boxing, Geo-caching, hunting, camping, etc.

To start does anyone go Geo-caching? It's something I just started getting into, to keep it simple for those who don't know about it, Geocaching is an outdoor activity where you use a GPS receiver or phone and other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", anywhere in the world. Geocaches are currently placed in over 200 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica, and the International Space Station. After more than 12 years of activity there are over 1.7 million active geocaches published on various websites. There are over 5 million geocachers worldwide.

You'd be surprised where some are, you could pass by one everyday and not know it, to find them go to this website http://www.geocaching.com/ and input your zip code

Some soldiers do it and have sharpened their skills through it
    http://www.komonews.com/news/local/103833198.html

2. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Cookeville
    I live in a town with a college campus, it looks like there are more geo-caches on campus that students based on that website.

I haven't really geo-cached. I enjoy hiking, and I'm going start hunting small game soon.

I love to work on the airsoft field that I run because it's usually just me in the woods climbing, hiking, and cutting brush with the machete. It's a great work out.

3. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    The outdoors is really dangerous. That's where the Civil War took place.

4. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat New Member

Lol, sigged. (20 small people)

5. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    lol... I actually just picked up a new pair of hybrid shoes/hiking boots from new balance, my dad and I are supposed to go hiking soon, plus I'll need to break in that gps I am waiting for in the mail :)

small game hunting is fun too, I would recommend a .17HMR if you don't already have a gun.

6. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Northern VA (no more info, someone might find me...)
    Lolllllllll, good explanation

7. naamtune

naamtune New Member

Redlands
    I went and explored the abandoned Lockheed Rocket Propulsion facility a few minute away from my house over this weekend. It was my first time exploring an abandoned site, so you can imagine the thrill and the adrenaline. Apparently somebody was obsessed with waffles that they spraypainted "waffles" at every buildings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. C-4man

C-4man New Member

Comox Valley
    I like this thread! I just got back on Saturday from a 4 day long camping trip, had to bring in all the food, shelter, and other crap that was needed to survive the wilds of Canada.

About 2 weeks back I did a bike camp trip not as long as the other one but I was able to do some great trails and see some interesting things.

Has anyone ever tried doing hammock camping? If you haven't I'd go check it out it is allot of fun and it is lighter then bringing a tent.

9. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    If I get home today, I will post some photos of the Milovice Airfield, part of the former Soviet air base in Czech Republic. It is now used as a huge airsoft site.

Many movies were filmed there, including Equilibrium, Babylon A.D., Hostel and Lord of War. Some of the photos are pretty depressing, since there are still remnants of its former inhabitants.

10. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    @c-4 man, you mean just sleeping in a hammock right?

well it seems urban exploration is more popular than I thought

here are some pictures of a mental institution in MD known as Henryton. It was originally one of 4 tuberculosis hospitals in MD built in the late 1900's but was converted to a mental institution in the mid 60's, then abandoned.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. TysonY2

TysonY2 New Member

Emmett
    Why do you all have amazing airsoft places to play. It would be amazing to play in something other than desert or woodland lol. Anyway, Hunting in the winter and some dirtbiking in the summer are most of my "outdoor" activities

12. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    we can't technically play there, if we played and got caught, they would probably confiscate our weapons.

13. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Cookeville
    I already have a .22lr, I know that .17hmr would be a better cartridge, but I've already got the .22 on hand.

Let me know how you like those New Balance's. I've had NB trail running shoes, but I think I'm going to need new boots before too long- I might throw something like that in the "hat" for what I'll get to replace my general use boots.

14. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Sometimes you can contact the authorities before hand and gain permission to Airsoft in awesome places like those.

15. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    @mikinator, that's true I have heard of people doing things like that, but we're still working on finding the current owner, my friends want to put together a huge game there soon.
    @mighty mouse, yeah if you have a gun already that will work there's no need to get another. The shoes are actually pretty comfortable and provide a good grip with the interesting design on the bottom. I like them so far
    [​IMG]

16. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

How close is it to northern VA, if not too far, I'd be game for a game... Awesome place again, I wish I had something like that near me, but thus area is building up so fast, all of the cool destroyed buildings are being taken down.

17. naamtune

naamtune New Member

Redlands
    I envy Europeans for their geographical locations. I'd love to travel to Europe just to explore abandoned sites. :(

18. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

America has a ton of abandoned sites as well, you just need to find them. I'm just jealous of Freddiew, the YouTube guy in california, he airsofts in awesome ruins in California and also uses the sites to shoot his awesome videos. Look him up if you haven't already.