*Official Winter Airsoft Thread*

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by beanmaster50, Nov 4, 2012.

1. beanmaster50

beanmaster50 New Member

Superior
    I am sOooooo pumped for winter airsoft!!!
    Winter airsoft battles are what I look forward to all year.
    Since winter is rapidly approaching I thought I would create this thread. This thread is for any and all things on the face of the earth that fall into the category of Winter Airsoft. You may post videos, pics, stories, what you like or not about winter airsoft, and pretty much anything to get us into the hype of Winter airsoft.
    I will start us out with a winter airsoft video:
    One small force must defend this base and a rather large force must attack it.
    Here is a pre-mounted "base cam"
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L7baxTVcBs[/ame]
    And here is a headcam worn by one of the defenders:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eaie9ZEiHcA[/ame]

2. Munishin

Munishin Well-Known Member

Goodyear
    LOL what is this winter you speak of? Winter in the west valley of AZ is basically like 40-60 degrees colder and that's it.

3. W3aTh3rmAn

W3aTh3rmAn New Member

This appears to be a game on the northern point of wisconsin.

4. Munishin

Goodyear
    I'm aware, however I was just making a statement.

5. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Ha. Midwest gets the worst of all seasons. I'll probably play more this winter than any winter before.

6. HGwarhawk

HGwarhawk New Member

Me and my cousin are working on building an aisoft course in the woods

7. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    Wish I could say the same :(

Personally I hate the cold / winter so no airsoft for the winter... This year im going back to my paintball roots for the winter.

8. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize New Member

OKC
    Cool story bro. Juice? But how does this relate to winter airsoft?

Edit: But OP, I love winter airsoft, but I always use my crappy guns though unless its indoor.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  9. Sohte

Sohte Member

San Jose/ Bay Area
    I've always wanted to airsoft in a snowy clearing in the woods. But it doesnt snow anywhere near where I live.

10. beanmaster50

beanmaster50 New Member

Superior
    What Are you talking about???

11. Munishin

Goodyear
    It was a joke. How is no one understanding this? :confused:

12. airtruck304

airtruck304 New Member

I love it when we have 2-3 feet of snow. Then I carry around a shovel and when I am in cover, I can just dig a hole it's really fun! It feels like I am in the battle of the bulge! (I am a world war II fan)

13. Retrospection

Retrospection New Member

Kimballton
    Up here in Ioway, winter airsoft is friggin awesome. But after joining this field a few miles south of me, they don't play in the winter, instead he does major league gaming, but that's alright because i game myself and he's starting lan competitions with halo and cod.

14. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    I might play some winter games this year,Just need to get a new primary.

15. beanmaster50

beanmaster50 New Member

Superior
    Winter airsoft games are easily my favorite. Right now other than my local field... we have no-where else to play so we are trying to find more places. Now that winter is rapidly approaching we are really getting excited.

16. matthewzguitarz

matthewzguitarz New Member

anza
    I'm looking forward to playing during winter for the first time, have some great ideas. But wondering how if snow could damage an AEG?

17. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    So, here's some information that might be useful and related to the topic of 'Winter Airsoft'.

The Cimmerians have been putting on events for 20 years - every 3rd Saturday of the month - in the Northern California and Nevada region. This means that up to 5 of the 12 operations a year are in the snow.

We had a 'Vietnam' - themed OP in October where it snowed 2-3 feet of fresh, that stuck on all the trees so the entire AO was white! LOL.

Anyway, here are some things we do:

1. Spare battery in an inner pocket:
    Keep it warm. It's only CA, so it doesn't get that cold, but still temperature can affect the voltage output of a battery. Keep at least one warm so you can switch.

2. Use iron sights:
    Not everyone is concerned about this. But, airsoft-grade scopes and sites leak, and worst of all they can fog up. The moisture content inside a cheaper scope will condensate, and it can be a LONG TIME before the fog clears - like weeks...

3. Fire more than one shot:
    Sure, lots of people use hi-caps and spray BB. I'm not talking to them. If you are used to limiting ammo and aiming, firing a shot - get used to firing more than one. The barrel fills with condensed moisture and it can slow the BB down a lot or put uneven weight on it. I've had steam coming out of my barrel like a GBB shooting in cold, wet weather.

4. CONTINUE TO DRINK WATER!
    Should be a no-brainer, but the body doesn't always use the brain lol. In the winter, especially dry and cold, you need a LOT of water. Make sure you drink it all. Besides, you can write you kill/death ratio in pee (<- ha ha)

5. Wear Thin Layers:
    Huh? Thin? Yes, because they are layered. One thick coat and you'll overheat, get wet, then when you take it off you'll be wet and under-insulated. The key is not to be warm when you're sitting around. In snow, I might wear goretex or other waterproof pants, but I generally don't worry about my top unless it's raining.
    Also, I am in the group that prefers insulation to combat wet, vs. the group that likes waterproofing against wet. This means I wear poly-pro or M65 liners under my camo and let the rain soak me. I stay toasty anyway. I also don't overheat.

6. Winter Footwear Makes a Difference:
    I bought military double-boots. These are boots that have a removable insulated liner, like a jacket liner. My feet don't get cold.
    Many Cimmerians use small snowshoes. A couple use skis. I generally post-hole (meaning I just wear the boots). It really depends on snow conditions. Sometimes you can walk on top of the snow, sometimes your feet will sink to the bottom of deep snow. I recommend cheap, 24" or so snowshoes and white/grey spraypaint.

7. Camouflage works:
    For the Sierra, I think the german snow camo is best. Other (US, Norway) white camo is good, too. BUT, woodland and OD are still alright. The thing about snow is it creates serious contrasts, so what's more important is where you are, not what color you are. It's like being backlit by the sun. Think of your outline in that way, and don't have white patches behind you to stay hidden.

8. Walking on snow is noisy!
    First of all, do you pay attention to how much noise you make? Walking on snow makes a crunching noise that is easily noticed. Part of this is the fact that the ground's surface is like concrete and it enables sound to travel much more than grass or other soft ground. Talking is amplified, too. So, at least if you're on my side - STFU and use hand signals, or tell me after the game! Also, walk a few paces, stop and listen.

9. Everyone will see where you've been
    Footprints in the snow. Yep. So, just be totally aware of this and plan where you walk.

10. You're Going to Get Exhausted!
    Pace yourself, it's much harder to walk in snow, and harder to breathe in the cold. Proper clothes are important here, too, because overheating is what I see exhausts most people in cold weather.
    Also, if you are planning a game in the snow, you should really reduce the distances between objectives compared to what you normally would have.

Hope this helps!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cimmerians/collections/72157616329602040/

18. beanmaster50

beanmaster50 New Member

Superior
    ^^Very useful for all of you airsofters out there that want to get into wintersoft^^

19. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    [​IMG]
    It's that time of year again!

20. beanmaster50

beanmaster50 New Member

Superior
    Yes it is, not quite in northern wisconsin. We got our first snow a couple days ago but it's all gone now. First big snow day we will get out to airsoft and I will post up some videos and pictures!