On Belt Rigs and Magazines

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Shadow_Nugz, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    I was wondering how much people run on their different leg, belt rigs/1st lines?

-How many magazine pouches and what kind? (HSGI tacos, ITW's?)

-What kind and position of utility kits, dump pouches, IFAK's, etc?

-Holster type, and position?(drop leg, hip, small of back?)

-Drop leg use?(hip drop-Costa style, full drop leg, and contents of subload?)

Also how people organize/ position their magazines?

-More specifically, I have seen people running belt rigs with magazines facing(bullet end) inwards AND outwards based on the orientation on the gun. I personally prefer facing away. Anyone have advantages, disadvantages?

-Strong and weak side reloads? I have heard arguments for both?

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    I prefer to keep my first line as light as possible, so all I put on it is my drop leg holster (SERPA or Safariland 6004 depending on which pistol I run). An EPC and an RRV, my two primary rigs right now, can carry more than enough to get me through any game I play in, so I don't see a lot of need to weigh my belt down with extra crap. Get your vest laid out well and you shouldn't need much of anything on your first line.

Keep your mags upside down and curving away from your weak side. You want to grab the bottom of your magazine with your weak hand, running your index finger along the front of the magazine (the narrow portion that faces the enemy when you're shooting him) while the rest of your hands grip the base. Reload by pointing your weak hand index finger at your strong hand index finger (which has extend straight forward to push your magazine release, remember). If you try to make the two touch, you'll get a perfect reload every time.

See the direction my mags are facing in the pictures below. I'm right handed, so I'm grabbing mags with my left hand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, watch this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcT1mw0i4fE[/ame]

The magazine change at 0:43 is exactly what you want to do. Watch it over and over until you can see all of the mechanics of it. Every move he makes is premeditated and practiced a hundred times over. There's another good reload at 1:36 but the guy doesn't index his mag nearly as well.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

3. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    I tried with my magazines facing inwards(right now I am running 4 on a left hip/leg rig) and it just didn't feel right. I am guessing it is because they are positioned so to the side instead of on my chest.

I also have them reverse stacked with the outside magazines being the first ones to be grabbed so they are positioned higher.

I have been looking at different pouches to run on my hip(and transfer to chest once I get there) and the primary ones I have seen are Tacos, FastMags, and IAP's.

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Your magazines should be in the center of your chest shading slightly to the weak side. They're the most important, time sensitive item you carry. They take precedence over whatever else is there right now. Move the mags to the center and move whatever is in the center somewhere else.

5. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    As of right now I am not running anything on my chest since I am waiting to buy a rig.

6. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I'll post pictures when I get home and take some, but I run full leg/belt rig. I haven't seen an effective difference in which way my mags are oriented, so long as the feed lip is pointing down. I run my mags on a drop platform on my weak side leg, in my case my left leg. I keep my main sidearm on my right leg in a drop leg holster. My dump pouch is oriented to the rear of my left side and mounted on my belt. This allows me to put an empty magazine in, then grab a new one on the way backup the rifle. My secondary pistol is mounted on the right side of my back, right above my wallet basically, on my belt. This set up is rather effective for me, as I get carded a lot and have the movement down.

I plan to pick up some pistol mag pounches soon, which will be mounted on my belt, or possibly on a shoulder rig.

7. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    You run a secondary secondary? o_O

Just kidding, what holster do you use for it? I am guessing a concealable style? Also what main holster do you use and how comfortable is it on your drop leg compared to hip mounted?

8. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

They are both Serpa holsters. Very comfortable. The only problem I find with the drop leg is that since I'm a bigger guy, the leg straps are really tight around my legs, and when running the straps attaching the platform to my belt tend to fall off. I fixed that with a little bit of duct tape.

9. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    I am considering for my belt loadout (separate from the NSW I am planning) the following:

Duty belt
    -Hip MOLLE panel(Chris Costa style on front left or left side)
    +Primary mag pouch
    -Secondary mag pouch (left side)
    -Dump pouch (left rear)
    -IFAK(middle of back)
    -SERPA (on right side)

This will be a low cost place holder until I can get a proper plate carrier for my PMC loadout

10. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    I mainly play CQB and this is the belt loadout I use

Left side
    : Double open top M4 mag pouch
    : Single open top M4 mag pouch
    : Drop leg dump pouch

Right side
    : Double Pistol mag pouch
    : Serpa for my 1911

Simple but works great.

11. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    What pouches are you running? I can't really decide.

How well does that dump pouch work?

Isn't it an inconvenience to have your pistol mag pouches on your right side?

12. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    So today I ran a drop leg on my right and depending on game type I either slung a separate shotgun belt or stuck my 2x double M4 pouches on my left.

I ran the pouches and holster on my 5.11 belt that I had over my coat.

I am waiting to judge the drop leg setup since I used my friend's rather crappy holster.

I am curious if anyone knows where to get a hip level drop leg MOLLE section?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012