Oops.... burnt my MOSFET... Whats next?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Verian, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Verian

Verian New Member

San Antonio
    So to start off, I had just revived this brand new G&G CM16 SRXL as of exactly a month ago from this posting date. I have been attempting to remedy this awful stock shim job and in doing so, just yesterday as I tested my new shimming job, the gun running a 9.6v NiMh 1600mah battery fully charged powering a Matrix 3000 (gold, high torque) motor.... The gun fully spun and cycled two shots and proceeded to start smoking out of the MOSFET upon the third shot this time in full auto. The gun was running the stock ETU and mosfet with the only electrical modification being a ultra plug (deans) to connect it to the battery. Why did this happen? and why did the fuse not blow instead of the MOSFET XD. Granted, as seen in the pictures below there is a noticeable tear in the positive motor wire from the MOSFET to the positive motor terminal which i skimpily patched up with some electrical tape... in Heinz sight probably not the best idea as of now but it was to protect it from further damage due to the contact the motor was making with the wiring. So... Whats next? I cant really get it refunded from Evike considering I modified it right? and also should I just get a new MOSFET and ETU now? What really would be my best course of action?

Also could I still use the ETU some how? i love the feel of it and could I repair the MOSFET maybe or just bypass it? Should I replace it? What sould I replace it with?

Link to photo vault: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7AkzqcG7FGic1JhM1dkQVJCOWM

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    The g&g etu doesn't like batteries lower than 11.1v. Your battery may have cooked it.

3. Verian

Verian New Member

San Antonio
    But the manual and website say a 9.6v is fine and is even recommended

4. E135

E135 Active Member

That is incorrect. As a matter of fact, most of the manuals just have a sticker over the recommended battery in an attempt to correct it. Kind of sucks you smoked it though.

There are a few ways to recover from this:

-get a regular contact set (no experience here, may have compatibility issues)

-replace with another G&G etu and use only an 11.1 lipo (probably the least complicated solution)

-replace with a GATE TITAN (highly recommend it, but be careful with the install, as the pins are easily bent, and the unit is considerably expensive)

5. SeanB1928

SeanB1928 Member

I did the same thing with my MOSFET I know your pain

6. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    You can get a Titan alone for $80/shipped from Asia airsoft. An etu runs ~$50 or so in the USA it looks like, so for the ~$30 more it is worth it. That's just bare bones though. It'll work out of the box without the USB or program card, so if anyone around you has one of them, you could borrow it to tune if needed.

7. E135

E135 Active Member

Actually, they need a firmware update out of the box. You will need at least the usb adapter with it.

Without the update, it will behave a little weird. If you pull the trigger slowly, it will fire twice during the pull, but not during the release. If you pull it quickly, it will shoot once, then shoot again during the release. Also, the trigger sensitivity adjustment does not work out of the box, but that is also fixed with the firmware update.