Opening up my CYMA M14

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by DadCRO, Nov 6, 2012.

1. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

Thanks to the stickies, I know how to get to my CYMA M14 gearbox. I'm going to open up the gearbox, do some DIY mods, and hopefully everything will turn out fine. I've opened a v2 gearbox before, but that's it.

Basically, I want to stabilize my barrel, correct AOE, regrease and reshim, tape my cylinder, and floss my hop up. Here are some questions/verifications:

1. Is floss noticeably more effective than tape for the hop up?
    2. To shim, I need to make as little side-to-side wobble as possible without misaligning the gears, correct?
    3. I grease gear teeth and the side of the piston, right? Anything else?
    4. Do I tape under or over the O-ring?
    5. Can I use any spongy material for padding the piston (to help correct AOE)?

Thanks in advance.

2. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    1. Floss will probably hold its seal a lot better then tape, I've never tested the difference before though
    2. Sort of, least side to side wobble without impeding how fast the gears spin, and making as much teeth contact between the gears without the faces rubbing.
    3. Meh, that's about it
    4. 90% sure it's over the O-ring(s)
    5. Pretty much, although sorbo is the best IMO. It's also cut in convenient thicknesses if you order it from clandestine :)

3. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

Ok, and can I find teflon tape and lithium grease at a normal hardware store?

4. Seyo

Seyo New Member

Behind you
    4. You could put some grease on and inside the bushings. It's a bit overkill though.

5. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    Yes, make sure to not use the white lithium on rubber parts because it eats rubber. Teflon tape is also commonly called plumbers tape or thread seal tape. They're all the same thing.

EDIT: 200th post! :cool:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  6. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

Great! Thanks for the help!

7. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

Ok, I hope this double post is ok, because editing my last post won't put this on the front page.

I took apart and put back together my gun, and it fires! I haven't actually fired BBs yet, because it's nighttime here, but I will in the morning. I wasn't able to do all the mods I wanted; I flossed the hop up bucking, glued the air nozzle, cleaned out all the nasty factory grease, (though I wasn't able to regrease; I just used silicone spray, but I'll regrease once I get some lithium stuff) and reshimmed as best I could. My cylinder head sits very tightly in the cylinder, so it didn't need any tape. I'll probably take the gun apart again when I get more modding supplies. I hope it shoots straight in the morning!

I like using a blend of designated marksman and sniper tactics, so if anyone has any ideas for accuracy/range mods or upgrades, let me know. My current BB weight is .23, but I'm going to buy some .28s once I use up my current supply.

EDIT:

I fired my M14, but I think I messed up the hop up. It fires a combination of straight BBs, BBs that have a range of 10 feet, and dry-fires. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT:

I took it apart, undid the floss mod, put it back together and now if fires fine. Once in a while it won't fire a bb, and the next shot will fire two bbs, but that only happens sometimes now.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012