Orange Flash Hider

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Jch30920, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Jch30920

Jch30920 New Member

Newnan
    I received a beautiful VFC M4 Tactical for Christmas this year, and the gun is almost perfect for me. However, I really want the orange flash hider off. Does anyone know if it is glued on or not? Thank you!

2. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    Is there a small screw holding it in place, perchance? If not, I would suspect glue if it's having trouble coming off.

3. Jch30920

Jch30920 New Member

Newnan
    I didn't find a screw. It's most likely glue. Should I just use a dremel tool to cut it off ?

4. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    Nah. I always did this: get a hairdryer and heat it up for about 5 minutes. Then wrench the puppy right off with pliers. Worked for me.

5. tasgal

tasgal New Member

Richmond
    Do what M4Ever posted first before you grab the dremel.

6. Jch30920

Jch30920 New Member

Newnan
    Alright. I will try that. Thank you!!

7. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    Tell me if you have trouble.

8. Jch30920

Jch30920 New Member

Newnan
    Wont be able to do it for a couple days. But I will let you know!

9. schultzebomb

schultzebomb New Member

Monterey
    I just took a flash hider off a vfc m16 yesterday, just get a wrench and turn it to the right to take it off since it is - thread.

10. Jch30920

Jch30920 New Member

Newnan
    There wasn't any glue?

11. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    Don't forget that the threads are reversed, it isn't righty tighty, lefty lossey, it the exact opposite. However, double check for a little black spec on the flashhider, it will be close to the barrel, if it's there. If it is, you will destroy your threads if you twist the flashhider off. You will need to remove this spec as it is a metal pin designed to prevent the removal of the flashhider.

Mind you not all guns will have this pin, some do, some don't, but if your's does, removing the flashhider without removing the pin will strip your threads. Been there, done that, learned the hard way.

Hope this helps.

12. Uller

Uller Active Member

Topeka
    I use a butane jewlers torch for this maneuver.Light the torch,and hold the flame 1-2in from the barrel,and 2-3in from the base of the flash hider.Keep the torch moving so you wont scortch the paint on the barrel.After 1-2min,clamp a pair of channel locks or a vise grip to the end of the flash hider,and work the flash hider off.

13. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    There was glue. A little bit. It came off with a pipe wrench and a bit of strength(Dad). I used my pocket knife to take off the rest or the glue left on the treads. But if you want to save your Orange flash hider I wouldnt recommend this way because mine snapped. VFCs are indeed counterclockwise. I swear there is a million threads on this.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  14. Uller

Uller Active Member

Topeka
    This is one of the other reasons why I use a jewlers torch.

15. Jch30920

Jch30920 New Member

Newnan
    Well I don't have a butane torch, but I do have a hair dryer. I will try that

16. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    Indeed. That's what I use. (20 chars.)

17. schultzebomb

schultzebomb New Member

Monterey
    Just turn it to the right to losen it, there shouldnt be a screw and even tho there is a little glue it isnt strong, i got it off in like 5 seconds. VFC makes it easy because they usually include a steel black flash hider in the box

18. Jch30920

Jch30920 New Member

Newnan
    Got my black flash hider on and my gun looks great!!

19. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    Excellent. Glad you got it done!