Orange plastic flash hider stuck

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by AFPJ, Dec 2, 2012.

1. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

Long Beach
    Im sure there are already plenty of threads about this but the plastic flash hider on my m4 is stuck. Ive tried holding a blow dryer to the flash hider for a few minutes and the wrenching it off but it didnt work. Any suggestions?

2. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

Boiling water?

Or you could just paint over it.

3. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

Long Beach
    I would paint over it but i wanted to put a suppressor on there. I havent tried the boiling water method. What do i do? Just heat up water and dip it in there and twist it off?

4. Nelson

Nelson Review Guru Supporting Member

Spokane
    There should be tiny hole in your flash suppressor that has a hex screw in it, you need to unscrew that first. Then take the blow dryer or heat gun to it and screw it off.

Depending on the gun it could be clockwise or counterclockwise threading so try unscrew both ways.

5. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

Long Beach
    I checked for that and there was two tiny holes on both sides where you think there would be a hex screw but there was nothing in either of them

6. Nelson

Nelson Review Guru Supporting Member

Spokane
    Take some pictures if you could, that would greatly help me in helping you solve this dilemma.

7. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

Long Beach
    Sorry these arent the best quality due to the fact that I took them with my phone but here they are

Attached Files:

8. la999

la999 New Member

Fairfax
    Not trying to change the focus off from OP, but I too have a flash hider on my King Arms Blaser, but the allen key nut is covered by super glue. I first have to take off this annoying super glue in order to unscrew the allen nut. I already tried boiling it for a while and that didnt do crap. Any ideas before I take my Dremel to the super glue?

9. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

Long Beach
    Hold a blow dryer to it for like 10 minutes

10. jimfc3

jimfc3 New Member

evergreen park
    it has whats called a roll pin and its pressed threw the plastic and into a small hole in your outer barrel.. The pin needs to be pulled out BEFORE you twist the flashhider or you will ruin the outer barrel threads

11. jimfc3

jimfc3 New Member

evergreen park
    the only way to get it out is to cut some of the flash hider around the pin away then grab the pin with a pair of wire cutters.. the smaller the wire cutters the best

12. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    AFPG, what brand is your m4?
    la999 try very minimal amounts of a solvent (mineral spirits, acetone, etc) or try clearing it with a knife

13. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

Long Beach
    Its matrix (20 char)

14. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    I have heard of cases where guns need that pin or screw drilled out, using a small drill bit.

REmember, hammer is always an option.

15. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

Long Beach
    How would the hammer work?

16. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

Long Beach
    How does that work? (20 char)

17. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

Long Beach
    Sorry to double post. Im using the mobile app and it said it didnt post the first time