Over heating wires.

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Arktic, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Arktic

Arktic New Member

Cape Town
    I have a customers ARES M4A1 AEG. (yes its ARES, Dont tell me to throw it in the sea or anything.. :p ) Its had issues from the day it was sold...

The problem comes that after about 200 rounds or so when the wiring gets insanely hot. The Tamiya connectors, the guns wiring and the batteries wiring is untouchable. The cells on the battery aren't hot at all though. I opened up the gear box and re shimmed as I thought it might be too tight. Nothing changed. I did find a small break in the wiring the second time. I soldered that and the wiring is fine now. I then changed out the motor for an ICS Turbo 3000. Same thing still happens. The micro switch also seems to be functioning fine.

Using a 9.6v 3300mah Nimh battery for testing.

Im not sure if im missing something short of re-wiring the gearbox? Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    The reason your wires are getting hot is because of resistance most likely. Narrow wires make it a PITA for the current to get to your motor. Grab some 16 AWG wire and XT connectors if you want to alleviate this problem. Means you reshimmed, it's most likely not the shimming.

3. Arktic

Arktic New Member

Cape Town
    Ah ok that makes sense. Guess Ill have to re-wire the gear box then. Will see if that helps.