Overspin/similar issue

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Peeque, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Peeque

Peeque Active Member Supporting Member

Lancaster
    Video of issue

I ran into an overspin issue and read that shortstroking would stop that. I dremeled off two teeth of the gear that contacts the piston (bevel right?).

After I did that I ran into electrical issues. I completely rewired the gun, and it blew two 30A fuses. I removed the fuse from the circuit because I didn't have any more fuses. I was still having some problem after that, when I pulled the trigger the motor wouldn't spin at all. The MOSFET I had broke so I removed that. Now I'm going with no MOSFET or fuse, this is just temporary until I can fix the overspin issue. I am using an 11.1v 2200mAh 30-40C LiPo, it happens with a 7.4v 1500mAh 25C LiPo too.

The video linked above is where I'm at now. The motor is getting power and the gun is cycling but it cycles once and then part of another cycle. When it does that it jams the trigger so I have to switch to fullauto and fire, and then semi will work again. Watch the video to see what I mean.

I though that shortstroking would fix the problem but it didn't, it's still overspinning and shoots 1.5 times when I pull the trigger. I don't know what else to do. Overspin may not be the problem, but that's what it seems like. Would an AB MOSFET fix this? I was using a NukeFET before it broke. Should I try a stronger spring? I have either an M130 or M140 in it now, with 13:1 gears.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Martinsburg
    Yeah... Short stroking by itself won't fix overspin. You need a heavier spring as well (the short stroking is so your fps stays the same with the beefier spring).

3. Peeque

Lancaster
    I'm not sure if I have an M130 or M140 so I'm just gonna assume I have an M140. Should I go with an M150 or M160? Or buy them both and see which one works.

4. -Spitfire-

Martinsburg
    What's your target fps?

5. Peeque

Lancaster
    Anything over 300 is fine, but has to be below 420.

6. Airborne101

Airborne101 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    The M130 or M140 you think you have should be fine.

7. Peeque

Lancaster
    If the spring is fine, what else could be causing it to over spin? Is the cutoff lever just not working?

8. -Spitfire-

Martinsburg
    What gears and what motor do you have in it?

9. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

One little "trick" I often do that can decrease overspin quite a bit is to shorten the spring that pulls the trigger switch trolley back. Just cut off 2-3 coils and bend out a new "hook". this will make the trigger switch disengage more quickly and can decrease overspin.

10. Peeque

Lancaster
    SHS 13:1 Gears. I was using a ZCI HT but I broke the copper wires next to where you connect the motor connectors. Now I'm using a Lonex A2, but I plan on getting a new ZCI HT if I can't fix it.

I will try that tomorrow and let you know if it worked or not.

11. Lefse

Lonex motors actually tend to give extra overspin because of the slanted armature design. I used Lonex motors in the past and I definitely got more overspin with them than with other motors with regular straight armatures.

12. Peeque

Lancaster
    I was using the ZCI HT when I ran into the overspin problem, I'm only using the Lonex motor now because I broke the ZCI one. Should I try using the stock motor? I don't think it can pull the spring though.

13. Lefse

It's caused by some other issue then, most likely the cut-off lever, or maybe the trigger switch sticks a bit.

14. cetane

cetane Active Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    If you just broke a brush shunt on the zci, try swapping the brushes out of your stock motor into the zci to get it back up and running.

15. Peeque

Lancaster
    I will do that tomorrow too.

I will buy a new cut-off lever, I think I'm still using the stock one.

16. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    I just had an A2 crap out on me, when I took it apart, it had a straight armature. Do they make two different styles?

17. Lefse

That's interesting, I'm guessing it's either from the latest generation and they changed the design, or it might be from the very first generation and they used straight armatures at one point. All of my Lonex motors had slanted armatures, and I used two different generations.

I don't use Lonex motors anymore, never had one that actually lasted, my DA/SHS and Guarder motors have performed much better. It seems like the Guarder Infinite Torque Up is being discontinued, which is a shame, it's an excellent motor IMO.

18. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    If I'm not mistaken, it is about two years old. I have also used SHS HT, Classic Army HT, and most recently experimenting with a ZCI HT. I have an A2 (short) in two other guns and they've performed beautifully, no problems. The one that crapped out came from my friend Lucky's gun and I have to wonder if it is an issue with the motor or him. He's very hard on his guns and he has a serious bad luck streak, hence the nickname Lucky.

19. Peeque

Lancaster
    I did that, there is still some overspin but not nearly as much. It also stopped the trigger from getting jammed on semi-auto.

I did that and now the motor works again, saved me $30.

I'm gonna order an M150, hopefully that will remove the rest of the overspin.

20. AirsoftSniperz

AirsoftSniperz New Member

Should he also lighten up his piston and perhaps use lower ratio gears?