Paint airsoft bbs?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by noobb, Aug 22, 2015.

1. noobb

noobb New Member

Hello everyone. I know I've been posting a few posts lately, but coming from paintball, I have some ideas that I wonder if they're good. I've really been trying to think of ways to make airsoft bbs more similar to paintballs in that they leave a mark. I know there are already bbs that are filled with paint, but I wonder if there's a cheaper way. Maybe have a coating around them.

I don't know, I just keep hearing that cheating is a big problem in airsoft and really, from the few games I've played, I've seen people and been hit myself in certain areas that are really hard (like a mag) and you don't even know. If there was just some kind of marker, I really think this would help but obviously it greatly increases the price and makes it hard for AEGs.

So any ideas?

2. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo
    I'm not sure about that, the problem with powder-coated ones and paint bbs is that they gum up a hopup really bad (whereas paintball guns don't have a hop, so this isn't an issue.).

3. noobb

noobb New Member

You think some kind of coating would mess them up as well? I don't know. I just wish there was some way.

4. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

Sadly, if it cab rub off on people, it can rub off on the hopup, making it work terribly, or not work at all. Even biodegradable bbs sometimes fool with the hop.

5. Tactical_Skittles

Tactical_Skittles Active Member

Moscow
    To my knowledge, powder coated BB's were actually produced but they worked so poorly (both inside the gun, and marking a person) that the idea was abandoned.

6. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

I don't remember the brand, but they were called "the judge" bbs, or "vindication" or something silly like that.

7. noobb

noobb New Member

If only more people used gas or something. I just hate to believe it's flat out impossible.

Edit: Wait, can the internals handle straight liquid? I mean getting wet is still some type of indicator. Especially if it's colored liquid.

8. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

Even gas guns use the hopup system, so it still wouldn't work. :(

Water would be fine, but it may cause rust. Other than that, that could work.

9. noobb

noobb New Member

Hmmm... Cool. Now for someone to invent it. Bahaha.

10. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    Airsoft is marketed as a sport of integrity. The whole "Airsoft is better than paintball" attitude, of which I don't participate, touts Airsoft as a sport of honor compared to paintball.

Honestly, calling your hits is not an issue at large national MilSim events. Players are professional enough to call hits when in doubt or to forgive the other player for not calling.

It's the local games where you find blatant cheating.

This is because most of the older, mature, and experienced players move towards national MilSim games while newer and immature players gravitate towards the pickup games at your local field.

It's up to the old players to continue calling their hits, and necessary that the new players join Airsoft with a mentality of honor.

If those two things happen, we won't need marking Airsoft pellets, which are horrible from a cost and performance standpoint.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  11. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    There are airsoft BBs that both explode on impact OR leave chalk-like marks upon impact. They're hard to find, but do definitely exist.

BUT, as aforementioned, they're not the most precise, they will leave a residue in the gun whether it's electric, gas or spring, and this residue can be detrimental to your gun if you don't clean it literally after EVERY SINGLE USE. On top of that, they also leave residue in magazines, which means yet another component to clean after every single use. Players simply would not and will not do that the majority of the time, so in all unless you're talking about a cheap Wal-Mart springger, it's not a good idea.

In terms of use on the field, they are significantly more expensive than airsoft, putting you back in the realm of paintball expenses, and you're a bit limited as to where you can use them. Yes you can use them on airsoft fields that double as paintball fields, but how many players would accept getting paint or chalk on their clothing and gear? Most would raise hell and likely lead things towards a physical altercation even if they are actively cheating.

In short, it's just not worth it all around.

12. noobb

noobb New Member

I understand. I just feel like it also makes it more satisfying, and like I said, there are times when you don't even know you've been hit. I've had it just bounce right off a thick jacket, belt etc.

13. Player3972

Player3972 Member

Here's a video of these airsoft paintball bbs. Personally I don't think they're that practical, and I don't think they will become that big of a hit, but I don't know maybe I'm wrong.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MvKhjWRNTvI[/ame]

14. noobb

noobb New Member

I will say that I've looked at some reviews, and the 6mm paintballs do stand up well in AEGs. Not bad at all, but they are really expensive. I'm sure they would get a lot cheaper if there was more demand though.

15. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    If I wanted to play with marking projectiles, I'd play paintball. Or with simunitions. That's why we play airsoft, so we don't need to worry about the mess of marking projectiles.

I don't want to play paintball, so I play Airsoft. That way, I can wear my $1000 PC with Gen 3 NODs and not worry about the mess regarding paintball.

If cheating is a huge issue at your field, go to another or start your own.

If you're concerned about accidentally cheating, simply be more aware and police yourself. If you're not sure if you got hit, or don't feel hit but think it is likely that you were hit, then call yourself out. That's why you forgive others who don't call their hits at the professional level. You're bound to miss calling your hits now and then, so you forgive others who make the same mistake.

At one game, I did a suicide charge with several others as a last ditch effort before the game ended. Almost everybody died, but I was pretty sure I was never hit. I still called myself out, because I felt it unlikely to have survived if everybody else got out.

Lastly, have you ever attempted to calculate the physics of a sphere filled with liquid? Airsoft guns routinely outrange paintball markers using standard spherical paintballs because of the physical properties of a BB as compared to a liquid-filled paintball. Adding paint or powder inside a BB, which is the only way to do it without interfering with the hop-up or barrel, would decrease BB ranges and precision. Then, BBs would be forced to follow the same trend as paintballs, which is to utilize expensive, aerodynamic bullet-shaped BBs. Airsoft was designed as a lower cost, less messy alternative to paintballing. Why drag airsofting into a paintball philosophy?

I support the sharing of technological advances between the two sports, but the primary difference between airsofting and paintballing is the use or lack thereof of marking projectiles.

It's part of the game. If you feel a great need for a marking BB in order to play Airsoft, perhaps you should return to paintball?

I am not bashing paintball by any means. I've paintballed and enjoyed it. However, I didn't like it as much as airsoft, which is why I gravitated towards airsofting.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015