Paint removal

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by RHINO_01, Sep 6, 2015.

1. RHINO_01

RHINO_01 New Member

Florence
    Guys here's the deal: the previous owner of my SCAR tried to paint the gun black and tan, over the original factory finish.

I'm looking for the best method of stripping his paint job, while leaving the factory finish intact if possible.

2. Parmesan

Parmesan New Member

The short answer is that you can't keep the factory paint. I would suggest using very fine grit sandpaper and repainting the gun. If you really like the factory paint, you can try paper towels and alcohol, but that may take a long time. Always remember to test a solvent on a surface that is not prominent.

3. Airborne101

Airborne101 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    Factory paints are usually more than just a wet coat. Think along the lines of powder coat (which is baked on), or anodized over. Because of that, they are resistant (although not removal proof) to removal.

As such, try something like paint thinner or nail polish remover. You want something with acetone (alcohol will barely do anything). This will remove the DIY paint that the previous owner used, but will likely leave the factory paint on the gun.

4. RHINO_01

RHINO_01 New Member

Florence
    Ok. I'll try the nail polish remover first. I think the paint on the upper receiver will come off ok, as it seems to be easy to flake off.

The lower receiver is another question. Since it's plastic I'm only going to try sand paper on it. If that doesn't work I'll just repaint it.

5. bryanman

bryanman Member

Canada
    I would second the acetone. But also why not just repaint it totally? Seems much simpler.

6. RHINO_01

RHINO_01 New Member

Florence
    I'm thinking about doing just that. If I do repaint it, I'm gonna paint it foliage green.