Paintball masks that are actually suitable for airsoft?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by audiobahn1000, Jun 7, 2015.

1. audiobahn1000

audiobahn1000 Member

One of the local fields has a BS rule stating that two-piece goggles/ face shields are banned and you can only wear full face paintball masks. But the problem is that paintball masks are not designed for airsoft, and it prevents me from properly looking down the sights. I have to hold the gun sideways like a canted sight--it's completely retarded. Anyway, does anyone know of a mask that might fit the requirement of a "full face paintball mask" that wont interfere with looking down the sights?

2. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    If you are under 18 that is the rule at most major fields. The Empire Invert Avatar is a great flexible mask that should allow you to get behind your sight. You still may need a rail riser though.

Just search "flexible paintball mask" in Google. There are plenty of Magfed Milsim paintballer with this problem no matter how old they are.

3. audiobahn1000

audiobahn1000 Member

I am not even close to under 18. I also think it's a bad idea. As someone with a tad of knowledge in law, intentionally forcing participants to use safety equipment that is explicitly not designed, certified, tested or intended for the intended application poses serious liability concerns. If someone where to sue, the plaintiff's argument would be that the business knowingly forced participants to use gear that is inadequate and not designed for use in airsoft, which directly caused injury through gross negligence, and it would be hard for the business to counter that argument.

It's not about what's actually safer. It's about what the manufacturers say the gear is designed for, what it's certified for, and that's all that would matter in a court of law. Businesses that think they are protecting themselves by forcing paintball masks are in fact very likely increasing their liability greatly.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  4. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    Vforce Grillz and Empire Invert Avatar are flexible enough in the cheeks to use a sight or scope. May still need a rail riser though. I used to have a Magfed paintball DMR that fired shaped rounds accurate to about 200' using a 3x9 on an HHS crossbow optimizer. I used the Avatar.

5. wartimeopbrokenhome

wartimeopbrokenhome New Member

I can look down my sights no problem with a dye i4, nt to mention it is so popular so it has to be for a reason? If a friend has one id recommend trying one out. I love mine.

6. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm very pleased with my JT Spectra Flex 8, it's a paintball mask, but gives very good protection even against close range shots. It's light and quite comfortable, and it's vented thermal lens pretty much never fogs up. Certain sights on certain guns have to be raised with this mask, but that's a price I'm more than willing to pay to protect my noise hole.

7. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    People ask me why I would spend the money on a pair of Dye's for airsoft and I'm like ehhhh.... it's your face?!?!

8. Iram

Iram Member

Austin
    Depends on the fields other rules.

In terms of face protection, any BB that makes it through the grill is going to loose a lot of velocity on it's way through, so you should be fine for teeth/mouth strikes.

Paintball masks are tested by being shot from almost all angles with paintballs at 400 FPS. In terms of energy that's somewhere around 8 joules. That's a significantly harder test than the Z87.1 2010 High Velocity Impact test (aka "Z87.1+") that most airsoft fields use as a standard.

The problem with paintball goggles is high speed projectiles (500+ fps) will penetrate the goggle. If the field allows high velocity guns, there's some danger there.

To the best of my knowledge, ESS is the ONLY company to have formally tested their goggles for airsoft use, and they've concluded that their base goggles are NOT safe for airsoft (without modification).

The Z87+ standards (that most fields around here seem to use) are horribly inadequate. Shooting glasses at 150 fps with less than 1 joule doesn't cut it as far as my eyes are concerned.

There is no safety standard for airsoft goggles. I did a write up on the different standards that are commonly available and used; pretty much all of them are inadequate.

I think the liability issues are pretty small for requiring paintball masks instead of something else, though we do need some common industry-wide standards for airsoft safety equipment.

ETA: If there was a standard for airsoft eye pro, and a field required you to use something that didn't meet that standard (such as if there was an airsoft standard, no paintball masks met the standard, and the field still required paintball masks) then there would definitely be a liability issue. Until there's an airsoft-specific safety standard, meh.

ETA2: JT has sold a an airsoft goggle. It used the same lenses as their "Elite" series of low-end paintball masks (Alpha, Crossfire, etc., masks) with a smaller hard-plastic mouth guard.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  9. yakantosh

yakantosh New Member

Going back to the original topic on being able to aim down sights with paintball masks, how about cutting the cheeks out of the mask and replacing the plastic with neoprene? It is flexible enough to be able to form to your face while among down the sights, and it would still offer pretty good protection against bb strikes. Also, since most paintball masks seal off the eye section of the mask with foam, a modified mask in this fashion should still be considered field legal.

10. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury

11. Nameless1

Nameless1 New Member

Orrington
    JT made a flex 7 ize, it had the most flexible lower part of the mask I have seen.

12. audiobahn1000

audiobahn1000 Member

If they are inadequate, why does Evike sell them? Just about every goggle Evike sells is Z87 or not certified. Has there ever actually been a case of a set of goggles failing in airsoft because I see people wear them at the fields all of the time and none of the ranges have ever reported goggle failures. One of my ranges allows 500 FPS, the other 450 and the last 400.

Good info about the lack of goggles designed for airsoft though, I figured someone would be making them by now.

As far as other goggles go, it seems the Lancer Tactical goggles are rated for airsoft. This video shows the box, and on the back of the box they show the goggles are rated for 400 FPS with a few hundred rounds before failure: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dW0gmKAWZY[/ame]

Best of all, they are only $15.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  13. Iram

Iram Member

Austin
    Check out http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f38/eyepro-standards-relevant-airsoft-113126/.