Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't totally sure where to post this, so I went with general. I have a JG G36 608 aeg and I want to paint it sometime next month. I already have somewhat of an idea of what I want to do, but I'm not sure whether to just spray paint it with some Home Depot spray paint, or have it done professionaly. It just needs to hold up during the rain and snow, since it gets pretty wet here in New York. I want to do red tiger like in COD4 and will post some pictures of what I want it to look like later. Thanks!

· Registered
1,377 Posts
Don't use just any spray paint... many will not hold up to the abuse you're bound to put it through.

I'm a personal fan of Krylon Fusion Flat spray paint, it's a great product at a fair price. Can find it at Wal-Mart, Michaels, etc. One final thing you may want to get is a can of flat clear paint, to protect your paint job.

An easy way to do tiger stripes is to lay down a base coat, then use strips painters tape (tear up the sides) to make your tiger stripes...

If you'd like to know any more about that stuff, feel free to ask...

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, but if i wanted to leave the base black, could I still do the painters tape? I'm assuming it would still work, but seeing as I want the job to look decent, I don't want to mess anything up :D Also, do I need to tape anything up so pain doesn't get in the internals? It's a metal gearbox so I don't think it would matter. And, if it broke, could I re-paint it black so I could get it repaired? Thanks for the help!

· Registered
603 Posts
Krylon makes flat colored camo paint that you can find at any wal mart. They have white, sand, od, brown, black, etc... Thats what you want to use. It is perfect for airsoft guns. Also you may want to look for a flat clear coat. Something that seals and protects, but does not add shine.

As for painting. Cover the magwell and any other moving parts that may be negatively affected by paint.

· Registered
968 Posts
LOL... Well it could be a real problem... But as long as your smart about it and cover all the moving parts like you said Brazzy it should all work out... But you know someone will not listen...LOL

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trust me, i'll listen, I'm not risking ruining a $120 gun by painting a part I shouldn't have. I pretty much knew to cover stuff like the magwell, but I'm probably going to do the paintjob sometime next week when I can get some money lol. Thanks for the advice guys!

· Registered
603 Posts
The key is not to forget to block the barrel. You dont want paint down your inner barrel . Outside of that you should be fine. Have a ball. Typically I paint the gun in sand to basically prime it. From there it is a canvas.

· Registered
282 Posts
What I used on my Sniper rifle was Industrial Spray paint it goes on a little thick but it does not come off easy. If you mess up you might have to use a knife to scrap it off or a boat load of paint thinner but it last I had to paint mine like every year. I hear on the weather I live in Vermont.

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You'd be surprised at what airsplat can lose. They lost at least four of my e-mails in their system when I was trying to return my broken MP5. Along with losing my e-mails, they somehow lost my phone number and never returned any of my calls. They obviously can't be that smart, but regardless. Hopefully my Wal-Mart (although I doubt it) will carry the Krylon Flat. Either Wal-Mart or Home Depot.

· Registered
10,712 Posts
My advice (I learnt this both the easy & hard way):

Disassemble the whole gun. (not open mechbox) just the externals.

Remove any moving parts/mask off things you don't want painted.

Spray LIGHTLY and from a DISTANCE! Seriously do do this, it makes sure that the paint job is not blotchy & is nice and matt as blobs of paint can end up with a glossy effect which would be bad/nasty etc. Also you can do multiple coates so don't rush it/spray to much.

I use Krylon, I feel it is really good & i would rather pay a tad more than some other brands to make sure it is a good color & matt not glossy or anything.
Also practice on something 3D! There is quite a bit of difference getting a good camo effect on a 3D vs 2D object. Not huge but its worth it to make sure you don't mess it up.

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I attempted to tiger stripe my LPEG yesterday and needless to say, it didn't go well. While one side looks quite good, the other looks like complete crap. What's worse is I didn't realize the cold would make the paint cure weird, which the gun itself sticky for awhile. Anyway, I'm probably going to wait awhile (or at least until it warms up) and try to paint my G36 so, until summer, I'm putting the paint away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.