Paracord Rappel

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Axis, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

I've been making paracord bracelets recently and began to think...What if paracord can be used as a rappel? Real paracord supposedly is able to sustain 550 lbs., so I would think it's possible. What do you guys think?

2. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    This has nothing to do with airsoft. And if you plan on using it in airsoft, thats just stupid. You would be putting your life into the hands of rope not meant to sustain that much weight. Also, by doing that in an airsoft game, expect somebody to shoot you while you are hanging, and don't go screaming lawsuit when you made the wrong decision.

3. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

I didn't plan on using paracord as a rappel in airsoft without getting opinions, it was an idea I wanted your respectful opinion on - I didn't make this thread to be called stupid. You also assume I was going to use paracord as a rappel right off the bat, which I haven't even implied I was going to do. Again, it was an idea, not a claim that paracord could be used as a rappel.

Your whole response overall could have been more respectful. I'm tired of people calling each other stupid just because they simply may have had the wrong idea.

4. ld513

ld513 New Member

Cincinnati
    Look at YouTube. Search paracord rappelling there are many ways to do this. Iirc some us military branch needs to be able to make a paracord seat to rapell with in under a minute or so...

5. justinsinner

justinsinner New Member

Please do it and have someone record it so I can laugh at something later.

6. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Yes, but the problem is that a paracord can sustain 550 pounds of STATIC weigth. What does that mean? That if you try to rappel, you will exert dynamic pressure that is much higher and it would not be safe for you.

DO NOT EVER TRY THIS.

7. nitebreed

nitebreed New Member

woodstock
    if you are gonna repel just bring a rope made for it dont trust paracord

8. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    I can tell you from personal experience, playing around in my backyard, repelling with paracord plus a 180pound man = a loud THUD.
    I went 3 braided strands thick. Repelled successfully once off my roof, the second time utter failure.

Get real rope and call it a day... And possibly save your life