Parental intervention

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by jon_wallace95, Dec 17, 2012.

1. jon_wallace95

jon_wallace95 Well-Known Member

My parents are trying to tell me airsoft is unsafe and they are relating it to the recent shootings, they are mainly upset that my Xmas list consist of about 15-16 airsoft related items even though the grand total is under $100 for all of it. They are telling me I shouldn't play it even though they are gun enthusiasts, because they see it as a "gateway to future violence". While I understand their concern, they are fine with us playing CoD, they have played paintball and loved it, and till now they have been pretty ok with it. My frustration comes from them seeing me with my gun, if I am using it at home, I shoot at the furthest corner of the yard away from all houses and living things, I shoot at a target, one of the things on my list is a target trap, because they complain about the bbs in the lawn, I practice very safe firearm control with airsoft, nerf, paintball and real guns, I leave the mag unloaded till I'm about to play, the mag is out, the battery stays out till in use, the gun stays on safety, and I never put my finger near the trigger, not even across the trigger to the mag release unless I'm playing, I hold it only by the pistol grip till use, and I just ordered better eye pro. What can I do to convince them it's safe and to let me play? I leave on all orange tips and when I play at a field I wrap the tip in camo duck tape and remove after the game, I transport the gun in a bag with all previous precautions taken plus I have a fixed barrel cover just like paintball.

2. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Well, you start off talking about your parents saying it will lead to bad morals, and you end with asking how you can convince your parents its safe.

I will try to answer both.

Safety: Assure them that you and everybody else will be using eye protection. Make sure they know that airsoft guns don't hurt more than paintball. Maybe take them to a real game the first few times. Safety is closely watched on fields, so if the first game you go to is like that, your parents will probably get the idea that most airsoft games are like that too.

As for morals, this is a kind of tough issue. It all depends on a variety of topics such as faith, free will, knowledge, and general emotions. Ensure them that you are only playing airsoft because it is a sport that requires teamwork and technique. Don't tell them that you want to play to shoot people up, thats a big no no.

3. Navy100

Navy100 New Member

Ridgewood
    Because of recent events I see their point about their concerning about you playing airsoft. But because they are gun enthusiasts wouldn't that be arguing with what they do themselves?

4. jon_wallace95

Poor choice of words, I meant to say what can I do to convince them to let me to continue to play.

5. fireteamdelta

fireteamdelta New Member

mo
    tell them that all the people that do the shooting dont know proper gun care or that they just want to be famous hell the U.S. military trains with airsoft and with proper saftey protecton the chance of getting seriously hurt are slim

6. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Niceville
    No disrespect intended here, lets look at this from a real steel users point of view. Airsoft while a team and techniques sport still involves pointing a 1/1 scale weapon at other people. You also get the same bragging of kills on video games, yes. The biggest difference is its not on a tv screen for them. They see their child walking around with a weapon laughing about taking someone out. They fear only for your well being. Its the same way parents react to their children wanting to enlist in war time. Trust me been there and done that.
    My suggestion would be to calmly approach them and LISTEN to what they have to say about what they don't like about it. Perhaps trying to directly involve them in a game may be better than them simply watching. Tragedies happen everyday and airsoft wasn't the culprit. Also you could show some initiative, build your own bb trap. Thus keeping those pesky random bbs from becoming lawn mower shrapnel. I completely plan on allowing my son to play airsoft if he so chooses. Remember its all about presentation. Also keep the blaze orange tip on your rifle at all times. Even in a game. That may help to ease their minds as well.

7. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

They do have (somewhat) reasonable objections.

However, most people overestimate the impact airsoft/videogames have on kids. In some extreme cases, yes, people get real guns and rob banks because it's like GTA or COD. However, if it is that far gone, the parents have no idea how to control their kid. However, people need to understand that they need to give their kid a bit of free reign. They just need to make sure that they are guided by the right ideas. That way they can encounter negative influences and be less affected by them.

Basically, you need to have a calm discussion on the effects of playing airsoft can have on you. If they are adamant, sucks for you. Maybe they will eventually loosen up. Give it some time.

8. MamothBear

MamothBear New Member

Vicksburg
    Do you have an established team near you? Are they safe? Are they likely to be liked by your family? Who you play with will matter to them to.

9. jon_wallace95

I always have the orange tip on, I just bought a real trap last night, they have no problem taking me to the gun range with an ar-15, I play with all of my friends and we are all 17-18 years of age, we all h e good grades and have never been in any trouble with the law, we all wear eye pro and have orange tips, they have gone paintball an I explained to them, airsoft is like paintball, but more realistic, the weapons aren't lethal, and the overall pain fom airsoft is less if you are wearing the same type of gear for both. Airsoft is overall safer in my opinion, being hit with an airsoft bb is like a bee sting, that only last a few minutes, my mom played paintball an had bruises for weeks. Airsoft is better for teaching overall gun safety due to the fact it resembles the real steel version better, meaning that if you have a child who is in a firearms environment, having them play airsoft and educating them in firearms safety prepares, teaches, and readies them for any encounter with a real firearm. In my personal experience, airsoft taught me how to handle a gun, real or toy, the first time I went to a gun range I performed better gun safety than some 20 something year old, I had the slide back and locked, safety on, gun facing towards the target on the table, loaded the mag, put in mag, cocked it and took off safety while never touching the trigger and having the barrel facing away from all persons and towards the target. When I finished the mag I took the mag out, put it on safety, and placed the gun on the table facing the target before stepping away from it, and I practice the same safety with paintball, airsoft, and even nerf guns. My parents should see no problem with me and airsoft. I do t run around the street waving the gun around, I only play in my backyard or a friends, or a licensed regulated monitored field.

10. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    The real problem here is that people will think what they want to think regardless of your argument for good vs. bad. My mother hates the fact that I run around with guns and shoot people for fun. Im 27 years old and I still get grief from her. She understands that its a stress relief and fun time for me but she wishes I had a different hobby. I played paintball and personally, those hurt more than airsoft. To convince my dad, VERY AGAINST GUNS, all i had to do was show him the eye/face protection i wear, let him see teh gun I use and shoot it to understand the feeling and the lack of penetration power and explain that it is in a game environment with refs and objectives and points. They both understand better once I showed them videos of what I do on youtube and the local news that covered Red Storm East and showed it in a positive light. I explained that current and former military members, law enforcement and every day joes play this and it is all a game. I do learn to be a better player and learn life skills from this such as fire arm safety, personal awareness or surroundings and more. I have attended training seminars put on by former military members, former Army Maj. John Bucciarelli and former Airborne Ranger Sgt. "Bubba" Moore. These are not just airsoft skills but life lessons.
    The only way to convince someone is to show them why they are wrong. Bring them to a game, let them meet a local team held in high regard, introduce them to current or former military or law enforcement and other adults who play. Adults tend to get a better feeling when they talk to other adults who play. Nothing against you or saying your a little kid, but 18 vs 35 or older, that different goes a long way in parents eyes.

11. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    The absolute best thing you can do is invite them out to a game. Make sure you're playing with responsible adults at a legitimate field with safety rules, leadership, organization, and so on. I started playing airsoft when I was about 15 and my dad never "got it." He was in the same boat as your parents, didn't want me spending money on it, concerned that it was unhealthy, and worried about the people I might meet. That all came from ignorance on his part. It helped that he really like a few of the friends that I made through the hobby, but he was still leery about it in general. Finally, about two years ago (I must have been 24 at the time), I convinced him out to a game that I was running. I loaned him some goggles and It completely changed his outlook on airsoft. He didn't realize the level of team work, complexity, organization, and commitment involved. It turns out that he had always just pictured kids running around in a field shooting each other. Since then he's expressed a lot of interest in coming back and actually picking up a gun for a little bit.

Get your parents out to a game, make sure it's not just a bunch of idiots shooting each other in a field, and you'll stand the best chance to change their minds.

12. jon_wallace95

Trying to get my parents to go to a game with me, only thing, for me, it would be $15 cause I have all my gear, they don't, so it's $45 each for them, that's $100 right there.

13. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    do you have a job? save up and pay for them or do something to help lower the cost...

14. Springfield

Springfield New Member

Ludlow
    I too had this problem but it obviously wasn't due to this shooting, just all in general. I just explained to them how safe it is and that I play with my reputable friends. Also explaining it as "tag with tactics" may help. Good luck!

15. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Your parents don't have to play to check out the game, and in fact it might be better if they don't if they're hesitant about it in the first place. My dad just observed from the field. Obviously they'll need goggles, but I'm sure there are players who would donate their extra set to a good cause.

16. jon_wallace95

I think it would be better if they play, I mean at first they were against paintball till they played, so maybe waiting till January and have it as a birthday thing? I wouldn't mind the wait if it's for a good cause.

17. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

If they can change their minds about paintball, they can change their minds about airsoft. Just make sure you play responsibly.

18. jon_wallace95

I do, never out in the open, alway in my backyard or at an actual field. And as I've said before I take great pride in my gun safety procedures, all of which I developed on my own, I never ha any lessons on gun control or safety, which I wish my parents would have only so I would be that much more prepared.

19. jon_wallace95

I got my mom on board, now just have to get dad, my mom is trying to convince him as well, I mean when he was younger him and his brother shot each other with copper bb guns. I mean the total costs of stuff I want is $81.81, not a lot of $, and I've been a responsible gun owner and user.

20. llbb010

llbb010 New Member

I told my parents that it is the sport I like not the guns. The point and shoot and dodge and weave is what's fun it doesn't matter what's shooting. I like the guns but not to shoot at people. The guns are just mechanical pieces that launch plastic projectiles