PGC Magpul M4

Discussion in 'Airsoft Images & Video' started by Specter4, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Specter4

Specter4 Active Member

Highland
    Hello guys so the only reason I didn't include this in the official M4 picture thread is because I don't believe this falls under the category of the typical m4. If you know anyone else with a PGC Prowin gearbox please tell them to shoot me a PM, I'm trying to grow a PGC Prowin gearbox owner's group.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Magpul aluminum lower receiver*
    G&P VLTOR aluminum upper
    TROY 7" Steel RIS*
    Echo1 CNC steel Zombat Stryker compensator custom painted*
    Noveske Butterfly charging handle
    Magpul PTS MOE stock*, grip*, MBUS*, XTM handstop kit*, EPM*, and ladder covers*
    K10 strike face CNC aluminum handstop*
    Aimpoint & FTS 4x

PGC Pro-Win 7mm QD Split GB/Hopup Unit*
    Retro Arms straight trigger*
    Retro Arms CNC air nozzle
    TU 13:1 Helical Steel gearset*
    BTC Chimera (since pics)*
    Element HT 16tpa motor
    PGC Tappet plate (proprietary to the gb)*
    Element mushroom dampener bearing piston head & Cylinder head
    VFC clear blue piston (originally a part proprietary to the GB but I've found these work well with some slight modification to the rails)
    Deep Fire 6.02 280mm tightbore*
    R hopped, M nub
    Prometheus purple bucking

Notes:

34rps w/ 11.1v 25c 1100mah, full stroke
    345fps

This was originally a build stemming from the compensator paintjob. Inspired by the A10 Warthog and P58 Mustang with similar front ends. After acquiring the gearset, gearbox, and receiver, I embarked on a quest to prove my WWII impressionist buddy wrong when he told me all m4s are alike and build the most irreplaceable m4. Items marked with (*) are discontinued.

The gearbox, dubbed "Blue Unicorn" is a fully 6064 aluminum CNC machined, 2 piece gearbox prior to ICS, with an integrated hopup, QC spring, and mechanical AR latch release. circa 2006-2009. Under a thousand produced(?), only a few pictures can be found online and it is hard to know how many are still intact. Purchased from reddit.com/u/MDBT, a collector in WA with another PGC M4 gb as well as the even more rare PGC M249 gb.

Mesh over the lenses of the aimpoint instead of Lexan because its my indoor primary so it sees a good amount of use. Lexan smudges a lot due to ricochets and repeat impacts. I've found this to be a clearer solution

The helical gearset is discontinued and one of the only one of its kind due to it being in high speed 13:1 ratio, typically helical gears are desirable for DMRs and torque builds so you hardly ever see them in a speed ratio. Not any better or worse necessarily, just harder to shim but when they're shimmed right they yield a lot of torque. Was purchased in Japan in 2012 by my dear friend who no longer plays. I acquired them from him. They've seen tons and tons of rounds and are still smooth as butter but I spent hours and hours shimming them perfectly.

The magpul receiver is next on the list for work. It's going to get an acetone bath to strip the coats of paint off. It was purchased used off someone who certainly didn't appreciate it

Most of these parts I acquired second hand and because of that I haven't paid out more than $500 total building this

It is rear wired with a custom cut made into the buffer tube to fit a stick lipo and deans connectors. It's a disgustingly close fit but I'm able to collapse the stock up the very closest position.

My girlfriend knows I'd probably go homeless before ever selling the gearbox. Lol.

Thanks for looking ^^
    Album: https://imgur.com/a/FjgUB

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    RockNRoll33 and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  2. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member

Bull Shoals
    That is one awesome build!!! Indeed not all m4's are the same. My Hellbreaker's gonna be pretty cool, may end up painting the lower like your compensator.

Specter4 likes this.

3. Specter4

Specter4 Active Member

Highland
    I had a buddy of mine who paints Lego minifigures do it for me and he barely charged for it. Did a double coat plus clear coat by my request. His name's Zach Polley I can link you to him on FB if you want. Top notch work way better than me and I'd consider myself pretty skilled at painting

Getting a design to show up on an angled surface is tough. Just ask tattoo artists

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  4. drivenbykarma

drivenbykarma Active Member Supporting Member

black canyon city...formerly Prescott
    Dopeness,i pm'd you before reading this,cause i first read it on my phone. But Nice Looking Gun,i just got my first prowin and am currently playing the guessing game,trying to find a receiver that it'll fit into,or at least get at close as possible before i have to bust out the Dremel..lol

5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    And with that...I sold my blue spare parts off and I sent my silver complete one to Taiwan...to have the design "updated"...

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    -Spitfire- likes this.
  6. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    For a second there, I got really excited, thinking you had a MTH gearbox...

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  7. ryno

ryno Member

lots of really cool stuff there... and I've been away from the sport for awhile. good luck with your sale!

8. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    I am intrigued by this...

I have a 8mm graphite grey colored one sitting in my parts pile. I purchased an entire lot of someone’s quitting sale to acquire it lol. Since then have parted out & traded the beat up g&p body and m14 mags and pouches that were in the lot. Almost at break even so almost free prowin split gb hahaha

-Spitfire- likes this.
  9. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    @Guges Mk3 is he trying to just scan it and reproduce it? I really want one of those in my life.

10. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    They are now at the point of asking about cost. I told them that we have to be able to sell them at the same price as a Retro Arms V2 split box with hop-up.

Being that the RA unit is made in CZ. They know they can't gouge me too much for having a modular V2 box. I may just have a Pre-order process for people that want it at "cost" and then tack on say an extra 50 units to drive the cost down for all.

-Spitfire- and cetane like this.
  11. drivenbykarma

drivenbykarma Active Member Supporting Member

black canyon city...formerly Prescott
    I might be interested in 1, although your right it would have be comparable In price to the R.A split. Which i have 1 as well,and must say. They did a Very Nice job, of making some needed changes,and is in my opinion the best v2 gearbox on the market available at the time. And I own 1 of every "reinforced" gearbox's available except for a mt.haynes. (last one on the list,but not even sure if I care to acquire 1,lol) but yeah R.A made a host of improvements which really build its value and enjoyability. I put my r.a spit together in about an hour and it's on point running strong with a m190. I'm about 5 deep into the prowin an have almost got all the bugs worked out..lol

12. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  13. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    @Specter4 Any compatibility issues with the PGC gearbox and the G&P body?