pinion gear falls

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by DeathAngelsAirsoft, Sep 1, 2012.

1. DeathAngelsAirsoft

DeathAngelsAirsoft New Member

Shelbyville
    this has happened to three of my friends guns and now mine...the pinion gear falls down the shaft of the motor when you give it juice..

any help would be greatly appreciated on how to fix this

Attached Files:

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Has this motor had many pinion gear replacements? Was the pinion gear a tight fit when you put it on? What brand is the pinion gear? I've had problems with Aim Top pinion gears myself, the hole in them is too big to make them stick properly to the motor shaft.

3. G36fanatic...

G36fanatic... Supporting Member Supporting Member

Boulder
    did you tighten the set screw on the pinion gear?

4. Lefse

I don't think it's possible for a D-type pinion to slide down the shaft like that? The notch it sits on doesn't go all the way down. If it's an O-type pinion on a D-type shaft, that could maybe cause an issue like this.

5. DeathAngelsAirsoft

Shelbyville
    its a systema magnum on a systema pinion gear..the screw was falling out every time i put it and evenualy i lost it..its been through a few cheap pinion gears so i wounder if taking them off and putting them on so much has made a difference...its a tight fit by the way..i would like to fix it instead of buying a new motor, the only way i thought to fix it though is to bring out the dremel and make it a d-type

6. C-REX

C-REX New Member

You could use the cut it into a D but if you mess up... Not good things. You could try some lock tight (tm) it is like glue that holds bolts in place on car engines. Just a drop on the screw and took it down. Let it sit over night and you are ready to rock and roll.

7. Lefse

I had the same problem with my Systema Energy motor. It was the first and last Systema motor I ever had. The pinion gears slipped and actually caused the sector gear to strip. Some Loctite secured the set screw, but next time you shouldn't buy a Systema motor IMO.

8. DeathAngelsAirsoft

Shelbyville
    yeah ive heard a lot of people say that, and i wont buy another one..if i find that screw ill try it, but its a small screw..thought it would be on the magnets, but didnt see anything..

9. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    Lock tite is actually just superglue :) you can use it to glue the pinion gear directly to the shaft. I know that blue is the medium strength, you might want the super permanent strength because the pinion gear goes under a good amount of stress.

10. DeathAngelsAirsoft

Shelbyville
    yeah ill try that, i just hope it doesnt dry too fast..might be a while though because my mom rarely makes trips into town:(

11. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    You should be fine, it's made not to dry super fast because loc-tite was originally made for screws, so they make it dry slow enough so that you can screw a screw in. It takes a couple minutes to start holding in my experience.

I've done some searching, and it looks like red is supposed to permanently hold, and it also says that it's resistant to vibrations. I'd try that if I were you.

Good luck :D