Pistol for slightly smaller hands (no CO2)

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by aotsukisho, Nov 18, 2019.

1. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, looking for recommendations as the AS community has more with a variety of different pistols than I could ever. I am looking for recommendations for a pistol with a grip sized for someone of slightly smaller hands than me - right hand being about 7-1/2" from base to middle finger, so this is what I base my experience on. Note that this is mostly for grip girth, not necessarily barrel length.

KWA 1911 MK I/II - took some getting used to, feels 'just right' for me now. She said it's slightly too large around and requires twisting hand around the grip to drop a mag, and will definitely take two hands to quickly manipulate the slide release lever.

TM 4.3 Hicapa/WE 7" Xcelerator Dragon - perfect for me, slightly too large for comfort for her. Same issues with the 1911, but mitigated slightly as I have an extended slide release on it

VFC Glock 17 Gen 5/EMG SAI BLU - fits well for me, too large for her. I'm also not a fan of how sloppy the slide on the Blue Sigh is, and everyone at our local field who has one complains about how soft the mag release is so I'd rather stay away.

VFC Glock 19 Gen 5 - tried test handling at a store and was almost too small for me, and she said it's good. Been looking at ways to get in either a Marui or We G19 but it's more difficult than I thought it would be. This is one of the guns I'm looking to get as of right now, Gen 5 specifically due to smooth grip

KWA P226 with molded grips - almost too large for me, way too large for her.

Here are the following that I've seen (but not held) that are of interest, either from an aesthetics standpoint or cause it's easier to acquire.

KWA USP/USPc - I've been having a great experience with the KWA customer service and their replacement parts support. I am usually not a fan of H&K stuff but their USP seems alright and relatively popular. I'm aware that TM also has a variant, but unless one falls into my lap it will probably be the KWA one I go for

?? Px4 Storm (WE Bulldog? TM X4?) - friend who recently got back into the scene dual wields these and they are adorable. Not too big a fan of the styling but hey it's not something you see every day.

TM Five-seveN - Kind of a bizarre looking gun but I do like FN. I am not sure on the grip though, reviews say it's girthy and long due to the necked pistol cartridge it needs to accommodate. I am also aware that it's more difficult to find holsters for these

Interested in opinions on the following I have not encountered in the wild yet:
    - CZ75's or clones
    - SA XDM
    - Baby Glocks (ie. G26)
    - S&W M&P9 (is this any good? out of production?)
    - FN FNX-45
    - Walther PPK/S (hard to get I assume)

Not too interested in replicas of these
    - H&K HK45c and VP9
    - Walther P99/PPQ
    - Sig P226
    - Non-magazine fed (no revolvers/break action)
    - Select fire or full auto
    - Military usage primarily before the Cold War (no Luger P-08, etc)
    - Unable to use propane
    - NBB or PBB type replicas

Things that do not matter
    - Real world caliber of specific model (both USP 45 and USP 9 ok)
    - Branded upgrade/tie-in type guns (SAI, TTI, Biohazard, etc)
    - Ambi controls (we are both right handed shooters)

I do prefer KWA or TM (and WE to a lesser extent) GBB pistols, so if the specific model is made by them then even better. Thanks for your time

2. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Active Member

Seattleish
    I use an XDM on occasion and it certainly feels slimmer than a glock or my M9, but I wear XL gloves so I can't speak to anything smaller.
    If you don't need a replica of an actual pistol, try looking into the KJW KP-13. It takes glock mags and, while not being much smaller, definitely feels so because it's not blocky. It's almost like they took their CZ P09 frame and adapted it for a taller slide. Also, the CZ P09.
    Really can recommend walking into the nearest airsoft store, though. For example, I was strongly considering picking up a Glock until I found out just how chunky and uncomfortable I find the WE G17.

3. interceptor

interceptor Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    Just commenting on the grips. My guns are TM so they perform very well out of the box.

The 5-7 has kind of wide grip so this may not be what you're looking for (if you can find one).

I have 2 smallish pistols: G26 and Detonics. The grips feel a little small for me so it might work. The G26 seemed less accurate than my other TMs but I bought it used and it could be a hopup adjustment/barrel cleaning issue.

USPc and PX4 are a good choices with a smaller grip. M&P9 is a nice gun and has adjustable backstraps so maybe the grip will be ok with the smallest backstrap.

If you can find a TM G19, that seems like your best bet. (Don't have one...yet).

4. aotsukisho

I've handled Beretta 92s and they are quite large in the hand.

Looking into the KP-13 now, it looks like a slimmed grip G17? Seems to fit in G17 holsters too which is a plus, and it's not blocked by Umarex's copyright. Awesome

I also skimmed CZ P-09 reviews and people are loving it too, but I will need to see one in person before I make any judgments as we are personally used to how US service pistols feel in-hand. Unfortunately my nearest store is 200+ miles and a $200+ plane ticket away :\ I should have handled more TM pistols while I was visiting Akihabara but I was dead set in only buying a Hi-capa so I didn't bother. I know what you mean about the G17, although for me it was more of a 'hey this isn't so bad actually'. Same experience when holding an SAA for the first time.

I haven't found too many reviews on airsoft Five-seveNs so I've been watching real steel reviews assuming they are close. I agree that the gun is funky and unique but unfortunately not quite what we're looking for. A friend who never comes out and plays has a Marushin Five-seveN, but I've never shot it and it's also CO2...loud with what looks like good kick, though.

The G26 and the Detonics Combat Master look a little too small to be used easily but again I have not held them so I wouldn't know. I'll ask her and see if she wants a stub grip as I think she prefers a full-size pistol grip for her size hands.

I will hunt around for a TM G19...ideally that is the one I would buy. The price for WE G19s are hard to ignore though, even after international shipping.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

5. fred_ditto

fred_ditto Well-Known Member

Des Moines
    My hands are pretty big, and I still have a hard time hitting the slide catch on the Hi Capa and P09. I'd say go with a WE glock from KY Airsoft, or a WE P226 or 229.

aotsukisho likes this.
  6. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    If she feels a 1911 Single stack replica is too big. Then all the double stack replicas listed above will also be too big for her hands, even the baby glocks, because it's still a double stack replica.

I would recommend a subcompact small replica like a KSC/KWA Makarov.

Or go SMG in a Vz61

aotsukisho likes this.
  7. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

My hands are definitely mid sized. About 7 inches from base of the hand to tip.
    I dont think most can reach the magazine release and slide catch on most pistols unless you have a much larger hand.

I'll go from worse to best of the pistols I own. I still can use any of them, just got used to them.

[​IMG]
    KWA M93R probably the fattest grip I have. The left hand pretty much fills the space on the side. Cant reach the mag release or slide catch without moving my hand.

[​IMG]
    WE 92f, the mag release is flipped and I just press it with the middle of my middle finger without moving my hand without issues. Slide catch is barely in reach, normal m9 grips are wider. Oddly enough very old real steel m9's had the mag release on the bottom of the grip so youd be able to catch the magazine.

[​IMG]
    Tm Hi-capa with kjw grip, wider than tm grip, regardless of that, cant reach the mag release or slide catch without changing grip. So my left hand slingshots the slide forward and presses the release and pulls out the falling magazine. It ain't pretty but it works. They make extended mag and slide releases.

[​IMG]
    Tm g17, gen 3. It doesnt have any back plates on it (I think that's a gen4 addon?) but I can reach the slide catch very easily and barely the mag release.

My girlfriend has much much muchhhh smaller hands. Her trigger finger is the size of my pinky finger. She's in a police academy and they had to switch her sig p226 for a p229 which is honestly a tiny grip. I tried to hold a rented one she was using to practice and found my thumb overlapped the mag release and some other lever that I'm too dumb to understand (decockers probably) and the mag release was also like too close.

1911's may be single stack, but the grip isnt as small as other single stack compact pistols.

The majority of men have hands that can use the majority of regular handguns. Girls however tend to have much smaller hands that require smaller gripped handguns without question. Obviously there are exceptions.

aotsukisho likes this.
  8. Bimmerpilot

Bimmerpilot Member

San Antonio
    Take a look at a Beretta 84FS "Cheetah".. My wife really enjoys her 4.5mm/Co2 version of it.

9. aotsukisho

I thought it was weird but she said she likes the G19 so idk lol. Makarov would be cool actually, I totally forgot about the Russians.

Friend has a KWA Skorpion and it's alright but he has to use this gigantic holster for it. Looks clunky to carry as a sidearm, unless it was on a sling or something...we do have pistol-only games but I'm not a fan of full auto pistols after hearing stories about reliability of select fire components and the general poor gas efficiency, not looking to dump a ton of money into upgrading a sidearm.

Really appreciate you taking the time to take photos

The Beretta M92/93R frame looks handsome but yeah as you said for bigger hands only. A bottom mag catch would be cool

I've seen the Hicapa aftermarket parts, and an extended mag release is definitely an option. I guess slide catch is irrelevant after short stroking so it's actually not that big of a deal. I really like the way the 4.3 looks, that's a nice slide you have on it too.

I think my hands being slightly larger than yours allows me to easily reach all of the G17 controls so my opinion of them has improved. If I hadn't invested so much into the 1911 platform a G17 might have been an option for me.

When I first got in my 1911s that was my first thoughts, how a single stack pistol can have such a relatively large grip size. Took some getting used to but I love it now.

Looks like WE makes a green gas version they call the Mini M92. I will ask her if she likes the Beretta styling, dual wielding chrome ones John Woo style! lol. Thanks!

10. fred_ditto

Des Moines
    Short stroking isn't really necessary. It doesn't really do all that much for efficiency unless you do a bunch of other stuff along with it. Plus, Hi Capa extended slide catches do exist.

11. fred_ditto

Des Moines
    Short stroking isn't really necessary. It doesn't really do all that much for efficiency unless you do a bunch of other stuff along with it. Plus, Hi Capa extended slide catches do exist.

12. aotsukisho

I understand that and my 4.3 already has an extended catch, but short stroking it will disable the slide lock altogether. Just keeping my options open, as most pistols should be able to be short stroked right? I noticed that a lot of them don't like to be power stroked either

13. fred_ditto

Des Moines
    Hi Capas and 1911s can't really be powerstroked, since the slide catch isn't spring loaded unlike glocks, P09s, and a lot of other designs.

14. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    All of mine power stroke just fine lol (not just airsoft).

fred_ditto likes this.
  15. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

Mine didnt until I replaced the tiny rods with steel ones that locks the safety lever/pushes down the slide catch. For airsoft friction from pot metal parts messes with it.

It's not directly spring loaded, more like a pin that pushes the back where a shape is to push it down. It's less direct so it has its issues.

16. aotsukisho

Yeah it looks like the cutout on the slide is way too big for it, fully rear stroke on factory buffer doesn't push the slide catch down as it's still in the void.

17. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    Actually, I take it back partially.. my KWC/EF 1911s couldn't power stroke. But that was the lone exception.

18. aotsukisho

All of my guns are 1911 based, can confirm KWA 1911s and Hicapas cannot.

That being said, I do have two choices on the way for testing... WE XDM 4.3" and KWA USPc. We shall see how these go, although I am still looking for that TM G19. Might just have to wait til my next Japan trip rather than deal with double-importation markup through Taiwan

19. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    Well, to be fair, that's KWA lol.

20. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    4 TM G19 passed through last month...and 3 more is incoming next week....just saying...getting them sent to the USA is not anything difficult.

fred_ditto, -Spitfire- and aotsukisho like this.