Plastic or Metal HOP-UP

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Trtle, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Trtle

Trtle New Member

Simi Valley
    Which do you prefer, and why? I'm not sure if I should keep mt stock, or upgrade it for a metal one of a new high quality plastic one. Whats the difference?

I hear mixed reviews and performance issues but considering they all pretty much cost the same im not sure whats is better.

Cheers
    Trtle
    ________

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
  2. schueller

schueller New Member

Dodgeville
    without a doubt metal. i dont know why, but almost all high performance hop up units are metal. firefly makes great ones. $70 a pop

3. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood New Member

Inverness
    If possible always choose metal > plastic.

4. Archer

Archer New Member

N/A
    Definitely……metal! Hop-ups are one of several internal AEG parts that take the most stress during firing, plastic hop-up are generally just a bad idea. In fact, the only guns that tend use plastic hop-ups are lower end AEGs, like Echo1, JG, CYMA, etc. etc.

EDIT: UrbanMarine, your right. Higher-end gun like TM generally use high quality materials, but MOST bands that use plastic hop-ups are of extremely low quality.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  5. Trtle

Trtle New Member

Simi Valley
    I am kinda of interested in this Madbull Airsoft Ultimate Hopup Unit for M4/M16 Series Airsoft AEG

The guys I am going to start playing with play alot dusk/night games and all use tracers. Only thing is my m4 has a plastic body. And I kinda don't want to modify my body to install this. And madbull always comes out with good quality stuff. Anyone have experience with this?
    ________

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
  6. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood New Member

Inverness
    TM hop buckings are some of the best yes, but their chambers are... chambers...

7. DM117

DM117 New Member

IDK what to think? I have been told that plastic is better because it can expand and contract much better than metal. But in a hop up i dont want air to escape so i could only assume that metal is better? I have this same question my self.

8. captain zacheus

captain zacheus New Member

Troy
    as a general guideline I always replace stock plastic hops....I've found that high quality plastic ones generally perform better than metal ones.

plastic is also easier to work with as it can flex (to a certain degree) to accomodate different guns. I always use plastic hop ups when I'm replacing one for a friend I find they seal easier and hold seal longer. Now my gun has a metal unit but that's because I have the time to reseal every game.

9. Carnotix

Carnotix New Member

VFCs have plastic hop ups... They are great.

10. Adman234

Adman234 New Member

Wildwood
    Plastic FTW

absorbs vibration better, more resistant to screw damage and cracks like my RS unit.