Plate Carrier Set Up

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Navy100, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Navy100

Navy100 New Member

Ridgewood
    I'm getting a plate carrier that already comes with a triple mag pouch and an admin pouch what else should I get for it as a field player?

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    That depends, what all do you want to carry?

3. Scout_Master

Scout_Master New Member

Gastonia
    If you are a field player and plan on being in the field for a few hours you will want some sustainment items. I assume that you have some form of hydration pack to carry water so lets call that a given.

Depending on how long your will go between resupply at a cache site you will need between 2-6 magazines + the one in your weapon (assuming you are rocking hi-cap mags). This means you will want either 2 double mag pouches, or 2 shingle mag pouches that hold 3 magazines each. The advantage of shingle pouches is that they have additional MOLLE straps on the outside for added mounting points.

You will want some form of dump pouch to carry any kind of food or toilet paper. A large dump pouch would do well if it can hold 1 full MRE as it has every thing you will need for about 5 hours of operation.

The admin pouch will hold any paper, pencil, map, protractor, and other admin documents that you will need to carry. What the most admin pouches do not carry is a compass. Depending on how large your play site is, and how clustered the known points (road intersections and other land marks are) you will want to use a compass. A grenade pouch works well for holding a compass.

If you are carrying any kind of airsoft grenades or extra batteries a flashbang pouch is probably a good idea as they are about the size and shape for batteries or grenades.

Como is another consideration. Como really depends on the kind of communication that you and your team has chosen. The rule of thumb for como is that it needs to be on your front for easy access and it needs to be as tight to your body as possible.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. If I forgot something or if you have something you need that I did not mention please let me know.

4. Navy100

Navy100 New Member

Ridgewood
    A hydration carrier a dump pouch and maybe something else

5. Navy100

Navy100 New Member

Ridgewood
    I'm using mid caps for Milsim

6. Scout_Master

Scout_Master New Member

Gastonia
    I would absolutely go with 2 triple mag shingle pouches as you will want to carry as much ammunition as possible if you are playing for longer than 5 hours, and airsoft ammunition is MUCH lighter than RS ammunition.

A decent dump pouch is the canteen pouches from the army FLC as they can be used for canteens or can be used as a dump pouch with elastic draw strings on the top.

As for a hydration carrier you will probably want something integrated to your PC. I have little to no knowledge of airsoft gear but I do have a good knowledge of military equipment.

Knief will be able to give you specific links to high quality equipment that are not RS items.

7. Knief

Ann Arbor
    I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I didn't mean what pouches do you plan on using, I mean what items do you want to take with you onto the field? There's no set kit for everybody, and how you set up your gear is going to depend a lot on what you feel you need to carry into the field. For example, I typically carry:

7-8 rifle mags
    2-3 pistol mags
    Pistol
    radio
    hydration bladder
    gloves
    kill rag
    speed loader full of bbs
    small snacks
    map of the field if one exists
    pen/marker
    folding knife
    small light if it is or will be dark at some point
    wallet
    cell phone
    keys
    [I'm sure I'm forgetting something]

So I carry pouches to carry all of this stuff. On my current vest, it's a shingle plus two M4 pouches, two or three pistol mag pouches, a hydration carrier, a radio pouch, a utility pouch for my gloves, speed loader, and kill rag, a utility pouch for my snacks, an admin pouch for maps, the pen, the knife and the light, a holster, my cell pinned under my holster, wallet in my back pocket, and keys in my shoulder pocket. I have a place for everything that I feel like I need or could use on the field. You'll want to create a similar list and start thinking about ways to carry it all. We can help if you put up a list like that.

8. Navy100

Navy100 New Member

Ridgewood
    6 m4 mags
    A hydration blatter
    Chemlights
    Flashlifht

9. Knief

Ann Arbor
    If that's it, you're not going to need much. You've got the mag pouches and you can weave the Chemlights into the webbing that you're not using. The just grab a hydration carrier and a flash light pouch (examples linked below) and you're all set:

http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_93&products_id=1036
    http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_93&products_id=530

http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_80_99&products_id=4573
    http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_80_99&products_id=1062

Out of curiosity, what vest are you getting? I have this horrible fear in the back of my mind that it's one of those Matrix vests on Evike.

10. Navy100

Navy100 New Member

Ridgewood
    I'm getting a UMSC vest made out of 1000d cordura.

http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactic...molle-assault-plate-carrier-vest-coyote-brown

11. Navy100

Navy100 New Member

Ridgewood
    It's ok but I'm a beginner so I may get a new one as I go along

12. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  13. Navy100

Navy100 New Member

Ridgewood
    Oh I thought it said cordura, what is the difference? Just asking.

14. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Cordura is a much more durable material. Again, save up for a better, longer lasting vest.

15. Navy100

Navy100 New Member

Ridgewood
    Thanks, but if there is a 600d cordura version should I get it?

16. Knief

Ann Arbor
    You asked in another thread which is better, 600d cordura or 1000d nylon. The answer is neither. Denier, the "d" measurement of a fabric has to do with how heavy the fabric is, but not much beyond that. It's sometimes used as a surrogate for how strong a material is, but that's really a misconception. Modern day gear manufacturers have started moving away from the heavier 1000d cordura and are replacing it with 500d. The decrease in material weight makes the gear much lighter, and thus much more comfortable for the user. They're able to do that because they're using a high quality fabric, and I think this is where you're getting hung up.

The weight of the fabric and the name of the fabric mean almost nothing about how strong or durable it is. The term "cordura" applies to a family of products that can be made up of many materials of varying quality and strength. And what's more, cheap Chinese gear manufacturers have no problem putting the "cordura" label on their gear regardless of whether or not it's actually cordura, just as they put real firearm manufacturer trademarks on airsoft replicas without license. They're not subject to American trademark laws and China has shown little interest in enforcing their own trademark laws on foreign companies, so they call their gear whatever they want. Most of that cheap crap is made of cheap material, and that vest is no exception.

And now that we're on the subject, that vest isn't very good. It isn't used by the Marines, and it doesn't really resemble the vest that is used by the Marines. The retailer or distributor is just using the "USMC" name to sell crappy vests. If you have a little more cash, we can help you find a much better vest that will last longer, fit better, look better, and function better. One of the biggest problems with vests like the one you've linked to his how the PALS webbing is sewn on. Take a look at the last picture in the set, it's the front view of the vest with no pouches on the front and a pouch on each side. Look at the very top row of webbing. Do you see about halfway down the row how it gets crooked and goes higher on the right side? That means that the spacing on either the left half of that row or the right half of that row is off, and it'll be much harder, if not impossible, to weave a pouch in that area. On the next row, look at the second loop in from the right side. See how much narrower it is than the loops to the left and right of it? That means you won't be able to fit a MOLLE strap through there, again, making that area of the vest unusable. The same is true of the first and fourth loops counting from the left of the third row down. A bunch of other rows are crooked as well. This vest is essentially unusable. And while obviously you're not getting the exact vest in the picture, it clearly demonstrates the kind of workmanship that goes into these vests. Whatever you get will have similar problems.

17. Navy100

Navy100 New Member

Ridgewood
    You just saved me from a very close mistake. Thank you

18. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    You could go to the field with what you have, and see what works. Or you can talk with players who know the area, and they can tell you what works best on the field. Either way, you'll need to adapt to be more effective on your team.

19. Navy100

Navy100 New Member

Ridgewood
    Currently I have nothing.....

20. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Then talk with players at the feild. Ask them what's the best gear to take and what the field rules will allow. The better prepared you are, the more fun you'll have.