please help diagnose why my AEG is dry firing?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by skullkandy, Jul 25, 2009.

1. skullkandy

skullkandy Guest

I just got my first AEG about 3 days ago, it is an echo 1 G36c cause I couldn't quite afford the the src or kwa. It worked wonderfully at first and it's an insane amount of fun to fire, but then it suddenly started having issues today.

It shot fine for the first two days but then today when I started practice shooting again the problem began. What happens is I shoot off a round or two and then the gun begins to dry fire as if it's empty. It continues to dry fire or once in a while a bb or two will just fall out of the barrel with only enough force to go about a foot or two. Occasionally it would start shooting just fine again and I could go through about 60 BBs before it would start acting up. I am using high quality biodegradable BBs some of the time and echo 1 some of the time. Both are 6mm .20 weight. But I am not mixing them in the same clip.
    I've wound the magazine (the high cap that came with the gun) and it has resistance and I know there's plenty of ammo in there. I've tried the unjamming rod and as far as I can tell all that it's touching when I put it down there is the internals because I don't feel any pellets or any resistance until it's almost all the way in there and nothing dislodges any time I do that. Although I could be hitting a BB down there and just not know it but using the unjamming rod doesn't seem to cause the problem to clear itself up any faster.
    If I pull the mag usually I notice 2 or sometimes even three BBs sitting loose on top of the magazine (I'm sorry I don't know the term for this part of the mag) and I'm pretty sure there is only supposed to be one BB sitting on top of that loose and the rest are supposed to be under that lip that holds them down. If I press the release on the top of the mag about 30 pellets fly out of the mag, so i know the spring is wound and the side of the mag that feeds is full.
    I hope I gave enough information here. I'm new to the sport so it very well could be something very basic that I just don't know. Overall I would say today it would misfire(dryfire) about 30% of the shots I took. If anyone knows what is happening here please let me know.

2. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood Active Member

Spray some silicon spray into the magazine where the bbs are fed out, I find this can make a lot of difference to if a mag jams or not.

Also try turning your hop down a little as a hop set to high can cause the BBs to get lodged.

Try another magazine as well as it could just be a dodgy mag.

There are always BBs loose on top of the mag due to the way they feed into the hop chamber/gun.

Hope that helps.

3. hairyman

hairyman New Member Supporting Member

Dublin
    Yea the hop could be the culprit,,as Mr Hood has said,,try bringing it down,,im only hoping your tappet plate is ok,,,,when you look up through the bb feed tube where the bb's are fed from the mag into the replica you should be able to see the air nozzle shooting back and forth while dry fiting.

4. skullkandy

skullkandy Guest

thanks guys, I've added some silicon spray to my next order from aisoftgi. Just to make absolutely sure turning the hop up gear up increases hop up and down decreases it correct. I know this sounds like a silly question but I just want to make sure to eliminate all possibilities of user error.

5. hairyman

hairyman New Member Supporting Member

Dublin
    Thats how it works mate,,

6. ntvandyken

ntvandyken Guest

yea iv seen increased hop up sometimes, made a bb come out of the barrel str8 down, it was halarious! anyways, yea sometimes i use the mag to rest on my hand while shooting, and the angle can be wrong.... and (well my cheap plastic ones) my mags always waste 33 bb's at the end of a clip, but i use low caps... i like a lil touch of the realizm, and yet, my M9 pistol has 22 shots... i try not to think to much :p

7. skullkandy

skullkandy Guest

Pretty sure it was the hop up and lube like you guys suggested. I double checked the hop up and somehow it was turned all the way up. I reset it and fired through about 2k rounds with only 2 misfires. oh and now the gun fires an incredibly tight grouping at 75 feet.(although they are always to the left)

I wanted to double check another very simple thing. winding a high cap mag, I notice that I only get about 15-20 shots (sometimes less) before needing to wind again so I'm not sure I'm winding it all the way. At first when I start winding there is no resistance at all, it almost spins freely. Then after a few rotations it begins to have some resistance but only has one click and from what I've read it's supposed to click twice when it's fully wound.
    If I push the wheel just a bit and let go before the click it spins back to the last click.

Is this the fully wound feel that I've read about or does that just mean it's begun winding up pressure and I need to keep winding until there is a much louder click. I've tried winding for a couple turns after it's started giving resistance and I never noticed it double clicking, I didn't want to keep trying though in case that can damage the mag.

one more question(for now at least....) I've figured how hop up works and how to adjust it, so is there a way to adjust the left and right curve of the pellet. In a four round burst my shots all land within about an inch and a half of each other at 75ft, but they are all left of my sight. I've adjusted the sight as far as possible and it's still not far enough to be dead on where I'm hitting. I've become used to to the left curve and compensate for it by sighting just a hair to the right of where I want to hit but it would be a lot easier If i could figure out why every pellet shoots to the left.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  8. ntvandyken

ntvandyken Guest

might b the bb's... your inner barrel needs to be tighter... wind conditions..... could be allot of things... hop up is the least i worry about.... as long as its not half way up or so... thats when i see drastic spin on the ball that would create side spin

9. benokirk98

benokirk98 New Member

How much did the gun cost, for example if the gun is cheap then the quality of the internals are'nt going to be as good.