Polarstar air rig for an E.P.A.R

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by potentialthreat, Jan 6, 2013.

1. potentialthreat

potentialthreat New Member

I'm new in the polarstar "club" and I want to get an air rig. I want a rig that won't break the bank. Do you have any sudjustions?

2. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    Definine "won't break the bank". You'll ALWAYS pay >$100 for an air rig brand new, that's how it goes. The most expensive part is the actual regulator which can run from $90+ and then the actual macro line, gauge, tank(s), will run you close to another $100 depending on the tank you get. If you go with the secondary regulator as well (not sure if P* is still going with them) then that's even more money to put down.

Put simply, you'll pay probably ~$200 if not more for an entire air rig for your P* simple as that.

3. ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse Member

Nampa
    Incorrect.

@OP: The lowest price for an air rig that I've seen is $70 (http://www.ampedairsoft.com/product_p/slp-air-rig-straight.htm). However, this is an SLP air rig, which requires the use of SLP tanks. From Amped Airsoft, the SLP tanks usually run about $20 extra. This is why I chose to go with a regular air rig... I can use it with SLP and regular HPA tanks.

As for pricing for air rigs that can be used with non-SLP tanks, they'll run you about $150. I purchased the $175 Firebase air rig from Amped (I got it during the 15% off sale (first time they've had a sale, I believe) so it ended up being about $148), but it cost that much because of the QD on the regulator side. They also have the $155 Firebase, which I believe is the same aside from that extra QD connector. They also sell the AKA 2-liter for $155.

Anyway, if you are planning on just going SLP, you're looking at about $70. If you want to be able to use regular HPA paintball tanks (less expensive tanks), you're looking at about $155.

*Prices based on Amped Airsoft's pricing. There may be places that sell them for less.

4. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    I'm talking of incorporating the cost of the tank with my post, bare minimum you'll pay for a tank is $65, more if you want a CF, larger capacity, etc. (which I would definitely recommend not selling yourself short on) Running the 2 liter rigs over $200.

I completely neglected the SLP rigs since I'm not a fan of them. Amped has that that SLP rig, which does run to around $150 with the tank so I guess if OP really wants to undercut it then it's a fine choice (definitely wouldn't recommend it though IMO).

The problem with the SLP of course is the constraints in the future, most people will want to have more than one tank if they're doing longer events and then you're tacking on another $85 or paying the $20-$30 for the SLP adapter and a regulator tank . Not to mention with SLP has a much lower flow rate and recharge rate vs. regular rigs. Of course this isn't much of a problem as long as you don't push the P* but if you're getting the system you really shouldn't sell yourself short on the air rig/tank to save a couple bucks. Long run the added benefit is worth it.

I know I'm spouting a lot of elitism but really the P* is the best performing system in airsoft right now and I just think it's silly to sell yourself short on the little things that can hamper its potential. OP if you're really keen on saving money the SLP is your best bet, but IMO, you might as well shell out the extra bit of cash if you can, if you're buying more tanks it'll save more for you in the long run and it's worth it.

5. ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse Member

Nampa
    Ah, sorry about that, I missed that you included tanks. Wherever I have seen "air rig" used, it generally just refers to the line and reg, rather than the tanks as well, so went off that assumption (now I'm not sure whether the OP is referring to just the line and reg, or is including tanks as well).

But yes, I agree with the rest of your post. I never really considered the SLP as an option in the first place (for myself), mostly because I don't want to limit my tank choice, but also because of the faster recharge of the standard ones. And I agree with the rest of your post as well... If you're spending a bunch of money on a Polarstar, you don't want to limit yourself any. If I were you, I'd just save up the extra $65 ($70 for the air rig + $20 extra for one tank (so could cost more if you got more than one tank), vs. $155 for a Firebase or AKA 2-liter) for a regular air rig. It let's you use any paintball HPA tank on the market (unless there's some oddball kind I've never heard of), has a higher recharge rate (allows you to run at a lower PSI (more efficient) while maintaining a good RoF), and if you end up with 4 tanks it'll be pretty much the same price ($20 more per tank for SLP).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013