(Poll) Sport or Hobby?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by ThisIsMyBoomstick, Nov 5, 2012.

1. ThisIsMyBoomstick

ThisIsMyBoomstick New Member

Would you consider airsoft and milsim to be a:

a) A sport

b) A hobby

2. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

Can something not be both? It's a sport because it's competitive and playing for glory. It's a hobby because it can't be used as a career really and you don't get paid to play.

3. schlabie

schlabie New Member

Definition of sport: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Based on that, id say a hobby. Unless the ACA starts holding tournaments in more states than California.

4. FACE

FACE New Member

Laguna Beach
    While the experience the ACA provided us was unique to our sport and not yet available for all, make no mistake Airsoft is what you make it. Some like to collect and chat and that's a hobby. But teams that go out and run for hours in all conditions, can receive sponsorships, and perform within boundaries of conduct, that's a sport. It's my sport and Myself and my Team are athletes and this, for us, is much more than a hobbie

5. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    I guess it depends on how you play if you define it as a sport or hobby. For me it's just a hobby. I don't think it's a sport becuase it's not at the competitive level yet and imo shouldn't go that far since it would be hard to judge as we base it on an honnor system. For the people that say it's more than a hobby I wouldn't say it's a sport but more of a lifestyle / obsession.

6. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Good question. Guess different people would see it in different ways based on their perception of airsoft and how they participate. A bit of both I'd say, but more to the hobby side for me.

7. jarhead88

jarhead88 New Member

new york
    definitely a sport... you run a lot, prepare, plan..... sweat like a dog!!!!! hahaha

8. egalsim

egalsim Member

Bakersfield
    It's LARP with real looking guns.

9. FACE

FACE New Member

Laguna Beach
    Translate? If you would be so kind.

10. egalsim

egalsim Member

Bakersfield
    Live Action Role Play.

11. airsoftrangers

airsoftrangers New Member

I play all the time and to me it is both because I play with my team at stuff like milsim events and im planing to save up and fly to California and go to a tournament wich would make it a sport. but then go in sites like this and tell other about it and help them any way I can wich makes it like a hobby.

12. airsoftaddict89

airsoftaddict89 New Member

Picayune.
    I think it's what you make of it. If your on a team, you play every weekend, it's a sport. If you play once a month, don't take it seriously, it's a hobby.

13. Griffin

Griffin New Member Supporting Member

By definition, it is both a sport and hobby.

14. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    It doesn't need to be a sport,Tournaments are not needed.This is a military simulation not a sport,Its a hobby forsure.

15. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    Wikapedia
    • Sport is all forms of competitive physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and provide entertainment to participants.
    • A hobby is a regular activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure, typically done during one's leisure time.

Dictionary
    • Sport 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
    • Sport 2. a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
    • Hobby: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation

So by definition it's both. Tournaments dont equate to a sport. The activity/action does.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  16. Napple

Napple New Member

LARP is gamers running around pretending to slay dragons with nerf swords...

17. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    That's one form... By definition I think Airsoft is LARP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_action_role-playing_game

It's Military Themed, at least the airsoft I play, and it falls under the LARP definition according to wiki.

P.S. Since we all equate LARPing to D&D Fantasy stuff, let's not tell anyone this.

18. Napple

Napple New Member

I prefer to play airsoft in a competitive gamelike scenario than a militaristic one

19. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    Speedsoft? Like speedball style?

Not me... I've really got no interest in that type of event. I'm all about objective and milsim style games. Dressing up and playing army is part of the fun.

20. egalsim

egalsim Member

Bakersfield
    This is why airsoft is popular around the world. It is NOT paintball.