Possibility of Me Starting a NOVA Field.. OPINIONS?

Discussion in 'Virginia Airsoft Forum' started by NOVA_AIRSOFT, Dec 8, 2015.

1. NOVA_AIRSOFT

NOVA_AIRSOFT New Member

Winchester
    Well here it goes..

Hi, my name is Michael, this is my first thread on the Forums. I am NOT new to airsoft, but I have recently moved here and started to play. I have noticed that there are no good fields other than Ballahack... and that is four and a half hours away from me. Would I get support and if I decided to open up an indoor/outdoor field in the Winchester/Strasburg/Front Royal area? I know these towns are a little off of the beaten path, but if it was balls to the wall good quality (Gamepod Combat Zone, SC Village, ect.) would people come? I'm just trying to judge the market, because even though I love the game, this would be a business venture for me, and I don't want to spend money and then go out of business... I am still in High School so this wouldn't happen for another 2 or so years, but I'm trying to get my business plan straight so I can go right to work. Would I do well? would I get business? Do you have any ideas you would like me to use? Thanks :)

2. BlackNightBravo

BlackNightBravo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

One word. Insurance. That is going to kill you. I'd love it if a field opened up there, I'd be an hour or so away, but I think insurance is the main problem.

3. NOVA_AIRSOFT

NOVA_AIRSOFT New Member

Winchester
    How much is insurance? I was told by a paintball field owner it was $2k-$5k a year but it may not be the same. I think if it isn't the same it would be because of all the police related incidents that have happened recently. So many people out to put airsoft in a bad light :mad:..... What else would I have to do? Waivers right? Zoning? Permission from the city?

4. brakaway

brakaway New Member

Richmond
    I know a couple people who owned paintball fields. They all have said that it is not enough to make a living but a fun way to make extra money. But I guess if your are pulling 200 to 300 people a week might be a different story. I love the idea, especially indoor, none around. keep us in touch and let us know if you need any help.

5. Rob_at_Pevs

Rob_at_Pevs New Member

Aldie
    You will have to worry about several things.

First Insurance - There is a base cost then a per user fee

Zoning - This can be a killer. You have to have the right land use and or building permits.

Rentals - Up front Cost

Building the fields - Up front cost

Advertising - Up front cost to build a player base

that is just for starters. Plan on making no money and maybe losing money the first year or 2 unless you get real lucky.

Also dont forget that as you are out west where people tend to have some land, you will see a lot of player that will play renegade vs a regulated field.

Just to give you a few things to think about.

-R

6. BlackNightBravo

BlackNightBravo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What Rob said. You're going to have to provide some incentive for a lot of the backyard bb warz people out west to come in.

7. tango91

tango91 New Member

Arlington
    I think having an indoor arena if you can spring it would go a long way towards pulling people in from playing games on their own land as that would be a totally different experience from outdoor play.

But yeah as people have said the initial set up will be extremely capital intensive, but id be willing to make the trip out to there around twice a month, definitely miss playing CQB so im really hoping you can pull this off

8. afgmirmir

afgmirmir New Member

Sterling
    You would get lots of support , we have no good fields except for Pevs , which is a bit overpriced imo.

9. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously New Member

Waynesboro
    Dumb question, but is this done by actual user count or estimations?

10. Blair

Blair New Member

Chantilly
    You certainly have the community ready, you just need the money and management.

11. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

I'd assume estimations, also insurance companies usually dictate FPS limits, as well as face/eyepro requirements. I've looked into starting a field, but the local CQB one gets too much action for me to be able to start one and make enough for a decent living.

In terms of money, you could get a business loan with a co-signer (if you don't have credit) or by yourself, and that would easily take care of the up front costs.

Another thing when taking loans into account, if the interest rate is low, DON'T PAY IT OFF. Pay the monthly payments, and that's it, as what you're getting is essentially very cheap money that you can put towards other things, no need to pay off a low interest loan, set everything up and get it going first before taking care of that. If it's high interest (knowing business loans and you probably being new to the loan scene, it will be.) pay it off ASAP. Other than that, you could probably get Evike to get you a discount concerning bulk purchases of rental/for sale items, and the like.

12. Blair

Blair New Member

Chantilly
    Please don't run by FPS limit, especially with the amount of HPA in NOVA. Go off of joules.

13. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

You don't really have a choice with the insurance provider, as far as I've seen, they regulate it in FPS. You can, however, translate that to joules and use that for the field guidelines.

But yeah, FPS is kinda dumb with HPA as many users overvolume.

14. Rob_at_Pevs

Rob_at_Pevs New Member

Aldie
    I am not 100% on the maths involved in with how the user fees work. That is the owners deal I just send him the #'s

-R

15. Frylock

Frylock New Member

Manassas
    Lets do this. There is no where to play indoor.

Heres the thing...make it a legitimate facility. Like how ACQB had. Most indoor fields are an open warehouse with crap in the way. Its kind of stupid.

16. tjkiller99

tjkiller99 New Member

Bealeton
    There is a field near fisherville, also war paintball rents to airsoft players during the week, 10 or more group. If you got a place in north fauquier or prince william I think you would get a lot of support from front royal and Fairfax.

17. Wizard013

Wizard013 New Member

Fort Belvoir
    Dude. My team would be more than glad to help. We're all located around Arlington.