Problems with a spring pistol

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Recon_GTA, Jul 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Recon_GTA

Recon_GTA New Member

Hello everyone! Hopefully this is the right place to post. Last year I bought a full-metal STI Off-Duty. It worked flawlessly and I was very proud of it, until it started shooting...by itself. The spring apparently fails to lock itself in place, and fires after 3 seconds of arming. I tried disassembling it, but there's no good I can do without help. If required, I will disassemble the gun again and show you some photos.
    Thank you for your time. Your help would be much appreciated.

2. Kopis

Kopis Active Member

Chances are something snapped. Doubtful you can fix it.

Buy my UBR, 60 +shipping CONUS

3. Recon_GTA

Recon_GTA New Member

Nothing snapped. I disassembled it today and looked at the internals, just the way I did the first time I bought it. Everything seemed ok. I took a few photos: http://imgur.com/IVUPAPq,uNENsLm.
    Using a screwdiver, I pushed upwards the "thing" that holds the spring in place (the one connected to the trigger) and POOF, it worked: http://imgur.com/2CSUMcs,NQnt2HU
    Later that day, it broke again. Apparently, there still is hope.

4. BlackNightBravo

BlackNightBravo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

First question: why are you nursing a $10 spring pistol.

The "tab" you're talking about is likely worn or something in the trigger mech is warped/bent/broken.

5. Recon_GTA

Recon_GTA New Member

Because I want so. Problem?

Looks that way. I pretty much figured out the problem and I'm trying to fix it right now. I'll post here if I succeed.
    Thanks for the...umm...well...thanks.

6. BlackNightBravo

Lol. I'm just saying it's probably not fixable unless you just get another one or have another broken one you could use a part from.

7. Recon_GTA

Recon_GTA New Member

I'm doing my best tho.
    It's not about the price...I actually like the Colt Vest Pocket (the pistol this replica is trying to imitate), and they are pretty rare here in Romania. Everybody says that springers are unreliable and "low-quality". Well it actually depends on its owner. I handle my pieces like jewels, so that's how my last springer lasted a lot of time, until I...well..."tried" something...
    They are also more expensive than 10$, doe.
    Hopefully I'll get that Ingram M11 I'm dreaming of so I can go on with the airsofting, but it would still be a shame to lose such a beautiful piece.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  8. ThePinballWiz

ThePinballWiz Member

Buffalo
    Try to extend that with some kind of epoxy

9. Recon_GTA

Recon_GTA New Member

I got some actually, but I never actually succeeded in using it without ruining whatever I used it on.

10. Recon_GTA

Recon_GTA New Member

Fixed!
    First, I pushed the trigger mech upwards, with a screwdiver. After that, I kept the gun armed for some time. Now it works flawlessly again.
    Thanks to everybody who helped...or at least tried to.
    Here's the proof that a springer can be repaired.

11. BlackNightBravo

Interesting. Any idea what was actually wrong with it?

12. Recon_GTA

Recon_GTA New Member

That one part of the trigger mech that holds the spring in place was bent a little bit. Apparently, by keeping it armed, the trigger mech "got used" to its normal position.
    I have no idea how it bent in the first place tho...

13. Recon_GTA

Recon_GTA New Member

Nevermind. It's history now.
    Today I was target-shooting, when suddenly the trigger was...unable to let go of the spring! I disassembled it and pressed the trigger mech with a screwdiver so it will let go of the spring. That moment I realised that the trigger mech...was broken in half.
    Nothing will fix it now. Shouldn't have trusted a chinesse product that much. There's no warranty aswell, because I painted it.
    I have a Colt Combat Commander already on my way. Also a springer, but from a reputable company. Also has higher FPS.

Now I got another question. Is it possible to replace the trigger mech?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  14. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo
    Springers (except for Tokyo Marui springers) have little to zero aftermarket support owing to them mostly being used by plinkers and players new to the sport.

15. Kopis

Kopis Active Member

Valient effort!

Buy my E1 MTC3 110 shipped

16. Recon_GTA

Recon_GTA New Member

I see.
    I guess it will make for a nice trophy at least. Let's just hope the one that's on my way right now is better quality. If this one breaks too, I'll just save for a CO2.

Well thank you for the kind compliment. Hope you'll find a decent owner for those pieces. I'm definetly not the one. As you can see, I'm not even capable of maintaining a low-end springer. Sigh. A waste of oxigen, am I not?

To sum up,
    Seems I really learned something from this: Do NOT do any painting/customizing to the guns until the warranty expires. It could make the difference between a raging beast and a caddish brick.
    And the other thing: ASG sucks.
    I'm really feelin' bad for that springer. One of those days, I guess. I'll be fine after a few days of sleeping.

I found Airsoft Society in search for help, and I also found a beautiful community.
    Thanks to everybody for helping!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015