Project M4

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Shadow_Nugz, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    I am wanting to get an M4 that I can do whatever upgrade I want to it. The things I need are:

$150-250, AEG, M4, Mix of CQB and field, ~300fps

I want a gun with good stock internals (really don't want to mess around with that for a while), metal or ABS externals, preferably shipped with a bag of potatoes, flat top/removable carrying handle, I would like a railed handguard, but that is not necessary, stock type does not matter (will probably be replaced), 10.5 or 14.5 inch metal barrel preferred.

Does such a thing exist or am I just crazy?

2. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Northern VA (no more info, someone might find me...)
    Search around in other threads, these questions were answered, in fact someone asked this this morning.

3. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    I'm building a versitile Field/CQB M4 platform using my ICS CXP.

It will be very similar to this:

[​IMG]

I'll stick with the stock spring since I'm getting around 370 FPS with my Madbul 6.03mm TBB. I'll cover the extended inner barrel with my ICS QD mock suppressor.

I'm making a 115mm inner barrel for my second hop up unit which should drop the output of the stock upper to sub-330 FPS for CQB.

I'll be able to change between the two in under a minute.

Eventually I may invest in another upper GB, but I have no need at the moment other than insurance against breakage in the field...

4. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    And yet you don't give me a link? I have looked through quite a few pages of this sub-forum and I cannot find anything similar. My specific needs are more particular than most of the "I want a cool m4 for less than $200" threads out there.

@Sparky: How are you going to change to 330 fps? How much did the base set cost you? I am not too experienced with M4 and the gearbox set ups.

Do you think I could buy a metal(or plastic) body, new barrel and gearbox and switch it out on my JG? Or does that not work?

5. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    I got the CXP (Sport Line plastic body) BNIB from a local store closeout for $150, the spare hop up off eBay for $20, had the 6.03 TBB and suppressor from a previous project, and cut the short barrel from a stock inner I had laying around.

The short barrel will mean that the BB has exited long before the piston hits the cylinder head, so the BB is only being pushed by a small volume of air and does not accellerate beyond 330 FPS before it leaves the inner barrel.

I could also drill holes in a longer stock barrel to bleed off pressure behind the BB to lower the FPS. These are called "Crawler" barrels and are a common method of reducing a guns FPS for CQB arenas without opening the gearbox.
    I may do this as well for testing purposes or if I have issues with accuracy out of the shorter inner barrel.

Gearbox swaps are tedious and require complete disassembly of TM style M4's. I prefer the ICS design for the simplicity of the swap.

In my heyday, I had several ICS M4/M16 guns and could swap uppers and lowers to my hearts content:

[​IMG]

Kind of regret selling them off, but they were versitile...

6. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    Would it be at all possible for you to make either a step by step picture(or video if you feel up to it) of you changing your gun from the CQB version to the longest one? I am really interested in doing something similar if possible.

7. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    I'll see what I can do tonight...

8. commando5184

commando5184 New Member

1HR north of philly
    G&g affordable series, on asgi, the ris, and battery pack combo, good for cqb and field. Good stock internals, 330 stock on most, mine is ~344. It is great, good rps and range.

9. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    The problem is that I have heard that Combat Machine's internals are garbage and I am not willing to replace them for a while.

The ICS line is quite intriguing to me however.

10. commando5184

commando5184 New Member

1HR north of philly
    No ask shifty, they work great, pm him

11. PistolsAndMP5s

PistolsAndMP5s New Member

Corona
    In my opinion, the BEST sportlines I have ever used have been ICS sportlines. You can't go wrong with one. Best stock performance and reliability for the price. ICS > G&G any day and twice on Sundays.

12. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Why me, of all people? I never even used one. Those guns are generally disliked around here, because most people feel you do not get what you pay for.

13. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Indeed ICS does beat the G&G. I hate G&G combat machines. They are trash in my opinion. Front sight molded onto the outer barrel? I mean, c'mon! Not to mention their crappy wiring, meh motors, and a few other things I don't care to mention.

14. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    @PistolsAndMP5s Do you run with a different upper receiver when you do CQB? Also, if you have done any modifications to the upper gearbox, how difficult is it to replace the spring? And what are the compatibility issues?

15. brockolson97

brockolson97 New Member

Superior, Wisconsin
    hater the creator, @Archer627
    MODERATER EDIT: what a boss

16. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Ummm... What did you say? Lol.

17. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    I second that...

@Sparky-D if you could I would love you forever.

Does anyone know of anyone that used ICS with different receivers/gearboxes?

18. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    Sorry, had the grandson this evening, so it took a while to get to the promised pics.

My ICS CXP's main function is a compact field gun designed for ranges out to 150-170'.

Currently, the stock GB is shooting 380 FPS with Airsplat 0.2g through a Madbul 363mm Python II 6.03mm TBB with a Madbul Blue bucking and Element H nub tucked inside an ICS Long QD mock suppressor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swapping to a short 115mm stock 6.08mm barrel, bucking, and nub in a spare hop up unit takes under a minute.

First, remove the magazine, cycle the gun to make sure it's unloaded, put the gun on Safe, then depress the "Forward Assist" button to release the tension on the main spring:

[​IMG]

Extend the stock completely, then remove the rear body pin. Once removed, swing the upper receiver open, exposing the upper gearbox and hop up/barrel assembly:

[​IMG]

Remove the upper gearbox and long barreled hop up unit:

[​IMG]

Insert the spare hop up/ barrel assembly and re-insert the upper gearbox:

[​IMG]

Carefully close the upper receiver, replace the rear body pin, and you're done:

[​IMG]

Chrono check with the stock upper gearbox on the short barrel dropped the FPS DRAMATICALLY!

[​IMG]

Of course, the range is greatly diminished, but for CQB, it's well within its element.

I have about a dozen extra stock barrels, so I'll play around with a few other lengths to find the ideal length to bring the FPS closer to 300-330, but for now, I'm happy with my results.

Less than a minute to go from field ready 380 FPS to CQB acceptable 250 FPS makes for a very happy Sparky.

I'll still get an extra upper GB in the future to have a ready spare in the event a piston strips or a tappet breaks.

Hope that helps...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  19. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    Holy buckets I love you... What was the set up for that 252fps gearbox?

And I am weird so would it be possible to keep the lower fps gearbox in a upper receiver with a 10.5" and be able to switch the entire upper out for a 14.5" barrel with the higher fps gearbox?

I am imagining(hallucinating) about something like this:

[​IMG]

20. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    The ONLY change for the 252 FPS setup is a spare hop up unit, 115mm 6.08 stock barrel with a stock bucking and nub.
    It's the same upper gearbox as the 380 FPS setup.

As for your picture above, as I stated above, in my heyday, I had several ICS M4 guns (all wired to the rear) and was able to swap uppers and lowers to meet whatever needs I would have for that particular day/field/skirmish/mission/objective.

I could run a CQB set up with my RIS front on the M4 lower and a 300 FPS upper GB, I could run rifleman with my RIS upper or M16 upper on my full stocked or M4 lower and my 400 FPS upper GB, or I could run Designated Marksnam with my full stock lower, SPR upper, 450 FPS upper gearbox, and my drop in Burst Wizard set to Semi-Auto Only.

Extremely versitile...

Heck, this was my primary for a long time:

[​IMG]

Standard M4 with a spare CQB upper. Between 2 upper gearboxes, I could swap either configuration between 330 FPS and 390 FPS in a minute or less.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012